Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas and Sam Pittman

vCash

Arkansas and Sam Pittman

I've seen a lot of people really singing the praises of Pittman and how he's turned them around so quickly and while I believe that he deserves some credit I think the real credit lies with Kendall Briles. He's looked Mullen-esque the last two years. He's had two QBs with some obvious deficiencies and instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole he's taken what they do best and tailored his offense to them.

If we're looking for a HC I wouldn't look any further than him. And yes, I know the morality police will shoot this one down in .2 seconds because of Baylor but the guy can coach QBs and he learned from the best how to tailor an offense to the skillset of what he has because his father did it more times than you can count.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I've seen a lot of people really singing the praises of Pittman and how he's turned them around so quickly and while I believe that he deserves some credit I think the real credit lies with Kendall Briles. He's looked Mullen-esque the last two years. He's had two QBs with some obvious deficiencies and instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole he's taken what they do best and tailored his offense to them.

If we're looking for a HC I wouldn't look any further than him. And yes, I know the morality police will shoot this one down in .2 seconds because of Baylor but the guy can coach QBs and he learned from the best how to tailor an offense to the skillset of what he has because his father did it more times than you can count.
    I have said that myself but my friend Tbone pointed out Odom has that Ark defense playing great and he was pretty damn good at Mizzou. If Ark keeps playing at this high level then they might lose both coordinators and then we will see how well Pittman keeps them on track. I have said myself that Pittman is like Coach O's happy uncle. Both run things very similar as a CEO type of coach. Coach O is struggling when he lost Aranda and Brady at the same time (I know that Brady wasn't "technically" the OC).

vCash
    Kendall Briles would be an obvious choice for a HC position. He doesn't have near the stigma that his Dad does. Barry Odom is rehabing his ill-famed stent at Mizzou. He's a damn good DC. He'll get another shot soon as well. And that's not good for Pittman. He's a good manager/CEO type coach but he's got two outstanding coordinators (like somebody else had a few years ago). We'll see the Arkansas fans come back down to earth when Pittman has average coordinators.

vCash
    Pittman gets credit for turning the program around- period. He has recruited the trenches and made them a physical football team. The SEC is a trench warfare league.

Also- give him credit for making good hires. Hell, Odom has given the SEC the blueprint against Leach
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Also- give him credit for making good hires. Hell, Odom has given the SEC the blueprint against Leach
    Washington gave the blueprint, apparently Pelini didn't stay up to watch Pac-12 games, lol.

vCash
    Kendall Briles would be good, but I would rather hire Jeff Lebby and kill 2 birds with one stone.

vCash
    I think the whole celebration of Sam Pittman is a bit premature. Arkansas was 3-7 last year. He has improved Arkansas play. But they were rock bottom before. No where to go but up.

As for this year, they will have to prove their top 10 ranking. UGA has a tough run defense. Arkansas runs. Then what if they lose to Alabama and OM this year? Oh boy, lose to one of the "Mississippi schools" and that doesn't sit well in the Ozarks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    Kendall Briles would be good, but I would rather hire Jeff Lebby and kill 2 birds with one stone.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I think the whole celebration of Sam Pittman is a bit premature. Arkansas was 3-7 last year. He has improved Arkansas play. But they were rock bottom before. No where to go but up.

As for this year, they will have to prove their top 10 ranking. UGA has a tough run defense. Arkansas runs. Then what if they lose to Alabama and OM this year? Oh boy, lose to one of the "Mississippi schools" and that doesn't sit well in the Ozarks.
    ...with an SEC-only schedule. They were 4-20 in the 2 seasons prior to Pittman, including 0-16 in the SEC. So last year was a huge improvement over the 2 previous years. And in Bielema's last year, they went 1-7 in the SEC. So last year, they won 2 more SEC games than they had in the 3 years prior combined. This year they're already 1-0 in the league with a win over a top-15 team and destroyed Texas non-conference. You can't downplay the job Pittman has already done. Whether they prove to be top-10 this year or not, they're massively improved and a very good team in year 2 of Pittman after being absolutely horrific before he got there.

vCash
    Forget about top 25, Ark is back to a competitive program again. Pittman deserves all the credit. He did it overnight almost. Is he the next great coach, maybe not but what he has done right now is incredible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    Should LK leave I feel confident they will promote lebo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Forget about top 25, Ark is back to a competitive program again. Pittman deserves all the credit. He did it overnight almost. Is he the next great coach, maybe not but what he has done right now is incredible.
    And did it without blowing up anything only has two classes in one during covid year and is winning with a QB from Mississippi. Meanwhile in Starkville...
    Last edited by Dawgfan77; 09-29-2021 at 12:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    And did it without blowing up anything only has two classes in one during covid year and is winning with a QB from Mississippi. Meanwhile in Starkville...
    Yep.

For all the Leach excuses - Covid, first year, his players, etc. Guess what Kiffin did it and Pittman did it. They both did it with less than MSU too. MSU on a 10 year bowl streak. Ark been on a 15 year bowl absence. OM also not been good since 2015.

Leach's best game may go down as his first one. The trend has been the wrong way with Leach since game 1.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    There's a reason Dan was so high on Jefferson. He envisioned him doing exactly what he's doing for Arky for us.

vCash
    I think Briles is more likely to leave than Odom is, though they both seem to be pretty happy right now. I could see Kendal ending up at a Houston or SMU type program as HC eventually. Don't think he's ready to just jump into a P5 job and for some ADs he may have too much of a polarizing personality to be in the spotlight at a bigger school like that.

Probably going to take a decent P5 head coaching job for Odom to make the jump again since he's already been fired by his alma mater. He turned down DC jobs at Texas and LSU last offseason.

vCash
    Pittman has done a good job, but this weekend will show how much of their 4-0 start is real. Of the 4 teams they have faced, Georgia Southern has the best run defense at #85.
    Facing UGA and their #7 run defense will change the game compared to what they have seen so far.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    What would MSU's record be this year to present if we cut big play touchdowns in half on defense?

Would that make Mike Leach look like a better coach?

As bad as our O has looked at times this year and which is looking much better esp on OL our main problem for our loses has been giving up multiple monster TD's by the defense in every game.

JMHO

I think I would like to keep who we have and make adjustments especially on defense.

vCash
    They'll be turning things back some after this weekend. It will be interesting to see how they respond afterward. They should get the shit kicked out of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Pittman gets credit for turning the program around- period. He has recruited the trenches and made them a physical football team. The SEC is a trench warfare league.

Chad Morris also brought in some good recruiting classes for skill players. The cupboard was not as bare when Pittman came in.
    These are all Morris recruits that are on the field right now.

vCash
    Arkansas are buying up tons of tickets for the ole miss game. Ole Miss has thousands of tickets remaining (familiar), even though they are in the top 15. Then if Alabama beats them down, it will be even less going. But they are concerned and frustrated that Arkansas is buying up so many tickets and it is not a sellout.