Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arkansas and Sam Pittman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Chad Morris also brought in some good recruiting classes for skill players. The cupboard was not as bare when Pittman came in.
    These are all Morris recruits that are on the field right now.
    I may have seen it here or somewhere else, but the one big thing Arky did that is helping them now is they were able to promise playing time as freshman to these guys that are now juniors and seniors. They took their lumps and are now benefitting from being battle tested early on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post
    I think Briles is more likely to leave than Odom is, though they both seem to be pretty happy right now. I could see Kendal ending up at a Houston or SMU type program as HC eventually. Don't think he's ready to just jump into a P5 job and for some ADs he may have too much of a polarizing personality to be in the spotlight at a bigger school like that.

Probably going to take a decent P5 head coaching job for Odom to make the jump again since he's already been fired by his alma mater. He turned down DC jobs at Texas and LSU last offseason.

I don't see Houston hiring Briles. My alum friends there are still remembering he and his dad at Baylor, and all that went with that. There was massive coverup on some hideous stuff and both were involved. Peterson at Boise State, even publicly came out and contradicted Art Briles comment on not knowing a transfer from Boise had any past issued. Peterson came out and said he specifically told Art Briles about the trouble with the kid and the risk on accepting him. Boise had kicked him off the team. But so much there that was getting swept. All said, then again Houston power players may say enough time has passed.

Odom may have turned down TX and LSU because they are known to be revolving doors with assistants, but good for him right now on enjoying being in NW Arkansas and stability under a good HC.
    Last edited by Santiago; 09-29-2021 at 10:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I don't see Houston hiring Briles. My alum friends there are still remembering he and his dad at Baylor, and all that went with that. There was massive coverup on some hideous stuff and both were involved. Peterson at Boise State, even publicly came out and contradicted Art Briles comment on not knowing a transfer from Boise had any past issued. Peterson came out and said he specifically told Art Briles about the trouble with the kid and the risk on accepting him. Boise had kicked him off the team. But so much there that was getting swept. All said, then again Houston power players may say enough time has passed.

Odom may have turned down TX and LSU because they are known to be revolving doors with assistants, but good for him right now on enjoying being in NW Arkansas and stability under a good HC.
    Odom would be a good HC Candidate if Leach doesn't work out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Odom would be a good HC Candidate if Leach doesn't work out.
    Barry wouldn't be a bad HC. I still think Mizzou was asinine for running him off. The biggest thing would be who he could bring on as an OC and could he recruit a QB. Drew Lock made their offense look better than it was. Kind of like Dak in 2015 for us.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 09-30-2021 at 10:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I think the whole celebration of Sam Pittman is a bit premature. Arkansas was 3-7 last year. He has improved Arkansas play. But they were rock bottom before. No where to go but up.

As for this year, they will have to prove their top 10 ranking. UGA has a tough run defense. Arkansas runs. Then what if they lose to Alabama and OM this year? Oh boy, lose to one of the "Mississippi schools" and that doesn't sit well in the Ozarks.
    If Pittman were to lose both coordinators, goes 5-7 next year, and get fired. He would leave UPig leaps and bounds above where Chad Morris had the team, especially the team culture. Morris made JoMo look like Saban. JoMo was soft on the players and lost their respect but they seemed to like him. The UPig players despised Morris and had no respect at all. Senior "leaders" would yell for Morris to shutup during his team talks and ra ra speaches and nothing would happen to them. I don't think Pittman is a super X and O coach but he would have get caught doing some seriously deviant stuff for UPig fans to stop loving him.