Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Is Our Defense Getting A Pass?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    That's factually not true. For every negative thread about our defense, there are a dozen about offense (mostly warranted) despite that our defense has underachieved.
    That is because there is alot more wrong with the O. If D was as bad as O, you'd see the script flipped. Quit trying to make the rest of the fanbase stupid. Go back and look at 2016 threads and ypu'll see the same level of criticism about the D which is about the same level of performance by the air raid so far.

As Gump says......

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    That's factually not true. For every negative thread about our defense, there are a dozen about offense (mostly warranted) despite that our defense has underachieved.
    A lot of that is because before Saturday we had a top 25-30 defense (26th). That's where most predicted we'd be. We had a bad game now we're 43rd. I suspect we have a good game Saturday & jump back up to around 30 or so. So for the most part the defense has been what we thought it would be. Good to very good but not great or elite because we don't have elite defensive talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    A lot of that is because before Saturday we had a top 25-30 defense (26th). That's where most predicted we'd be. We had a bad game now we're 43rd. I suspect we have a good game Saturday & jump back up to around 30 or so. So for the most part the defense has been what we thought it would be. Good to very good but not great or elite because we don't have elite defensive talent.
    Remember before last season how a lot of folks were saying our defense wouldn't even break the top 50?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    That is because there is alot more wrong with the O. If D was as bad as O, you'd see the script flipped. Quit trying to make the rest of the fanbase stupid. Go back and look at 2016 threads and ypu'll see the same level of criticism about the D which is about the same level of performance by the air raid so far.

As Gump says......
    Wait wait wait. You think our 2021 offense is on the same level as our 2016 defense? I guess that is the issue then, just a fundamental misunderstanding of where are our offense is compared to the league. Our 2016 defense was dead last or next to last in points allowed and yards allowed. Historically bad.
    Our offense right now is 9th in yards and 11th in points (our defense is 8th in yards allowed and 12th in points allowed-9th if you take away offensive TD).

Our defense has been marginally better than our offense compared with to the league. Ironically, it's the explosives that are killing both.

vCash
    I expected them to be a top 20-25 defense and they are 43. I expected the offense to improve from 20 points a game to a TD more. And it has (and then some at this point, but I expect to drop off some). I guess my expectations were different than most.

vCash
    I expected them to be a top 20-25 defense and they are 43. I expected the offense to improve from 20 points a game to a TD more. And it has (and then some at this point, but I expect to drop off some). I guess my expectations were different than most.
    Again, watch the games. Our D ain't giving up all the other team's points. Nearly 7 a game the O is directly giving the other team.

A pressing D is vulnerable to the big play, it is going to happen. The play on LSU that killed us was a blown play by a 2nd team player who probably shouldn't be in the game.

The D ain't the issue on this year's team.

Our O is near last in SEC just like the 16 D, yep they are about the same.

vCash
    Going into last week the defense was meeting your expectations. They had a bad game. So through 4 games has the offense met your expectations? Consider the 4 opponents this year when comparing #'s to last year.

vCash
    Green is a LB playing safety. We dont have many cover guys at that spot. They are thumpers and I like that. And if you cant cover you might as well bring the funk.

I just dont really like how we play vs trips its how LSU scored their first TD I knew it was 6 from when we lined up. We dont give them a lot of help and Peters is not a great cover safety either, he let 3 across his face and that was it.

I like Arnett and he has undoubtedly done a great job but he is still learning and growing. He does a great job of giving you a lot of different stuff to look at and we usually tackle well. We had 1 or 2 times Saturday where we tackled too high but other than that we are usually good there.

vCash
    The safeties cost us 2 tds, bit on a split zone glance and it they hit it, and eyes in the backfield on the other out of what looked like cover 2 to me and LSU schemed it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    The safeties cost us 2 tds, bit on a split zone glance and it they hit it, and eyes in the backfield on the other out of what looked like cover 2 to me and LSU schemed it up.
    Yeah the safety play has been my biggest area if concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Again, watch the games. Our D ain't giving up all the other team's points. Nearly 7 a game the O is directly giving the other team.

A pressing D is vulnerable to the big play, it is going to happen. The play on LSU that killed us was a blown play by a 2nd team player who probably shouldn't be in the game.

The D ain't the issue on this year's team.

Our O is near last in SEC just like the 16 D, yep they are about the same.
    1. Our offense has give up 14, thats 3.5 a game. Take that away and our defense is still 11th in the sec giving up 22.3 per game.
    2. That coverage bust against LSU had nothing to do with being a pressing D. We rushed 3 and played cover 3 behind it.
    3. The defense has played meh and has gotten no better since the end of last year. It was expected to be a top 5 sec defense and is 12th, 11th if you take away the points given up by the offense.

vCash
    Going into last week the defense was meeting your expectations. They had a bad game. So through 4 games has the offense met your expectations? Consider the 4 opponents this year when comparing #'s to last year.
    The offense is averaging 28.3 a game. I would have expected 31-34 at this point given the teams we've played. I give it a C at this point.

The defense is giving 25.8, 22.3 if you take away the 14 points the offense has given up. I would have expected under 20 at this point given the offenses we played (none of which have been good except Memphis) and the fact that our offense has dominated time of possession. I give it a B- at this point.

vCash
    The offense is averaging 28.3 a game. I would have expected 31-34 at this point given the teams we've played. I give it a C at this point.

The defense is giving 25.8, 22.3 if you take away the 14 points the offense has given up. I would have expected under 20 at this point given the offenses we played (none of which have been good except Memphis) and the fact that our offense has dominated time of possession. I give it a B- at this point.
    That's fair. The TOP stat is misleading because we don't have any explosive plays so our drives have to be 8-12 plays to score.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    The safety play is what is keeping this defense from being really good. DL has been good, lbs and corners but safeties have been very much responsible on every one of those big plays. Also, our defense has been given some really short fields because of shanked punts, turnover, etc. There is definitely room for improvement but they've been solid and kept us in these game for long stretches when the offense has sputtered. Need more consistency from the safetys.
    Bolchevism throws another fine rep into the collective dumpster fire of what could have been.

vCash
    That's fair. The TOP stat is misleading because we don't have any explosive plays so our drives have to be 8-12 plays to score.
    It's a good thing we are dominating TOP with our Wishbone 2020 offense because it gives the other offenses less plays. We ran 83 plays at Memphis to their 53 and ran 88 plays vs LSU to their 54. I expect that trend to continue because we will keep getting the Prevent and wont get explosive plays- but our RB's will catch about 150 passes (they are on pace to catch about 170) combined if one of them doesnt get killed.
    Last edited by Coach34; 09-28-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It's a good thing we are dominating TOP with our Wishbone 2020 offense because it gives the other offenses less plays. We ran 83 plays at Memphis to their 53 and ran 88 plays vs LSU to their 54. I expect that trend to continue because we will keep getting the Prevent and wont get explosive plays- but our RB's will catch about 150 passes (they are on pace to catch about 170) combined if one of them doesnt get killed.
    It really does limit our defense's exposure. Only having to defend 50-60 plays a game should help. Just stop giving up multiple explosives per game.

vCash
    I'm kind of perplexed by the notion that ball control offenses are bad. When we were all about RTDFB, posters raved about how it kept opponents defenses on the field and ground them down 5-6 yards at a time. Our road-grader OL could take over in the 4th quarter and our defense would be relatively fresh. I've seen this for years on this board. We've been SEC top 5 in TOP all but 3 seasons since 2009. And running more plays is bad? I distinctly remember Moorhead getting the SloMo nickname because our offense was only running 60-65 plays a game on overage and being compared to Mullen's offenses that ran 75-80 plays a game. We also ran our RB's 200+ times a season and our QB's 150 times without worrying about the toll that takes - but all the sudden 2 RB's catching 70 passes each is too extreme?

I get that we aren't scoring and we aren't winning. I get that lack of explosive plays is bad. But, arguments like "ball control is bad" just hold no weight when we have been a ball-control RTDFB offense for our entire existence.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Green is a LB playing safety. We dont have many cover guys at that spot. They are thumpers and I like that. And if you cant cover you might as well bring the funk.

I just dont really like how we play vs trips its how LSU scored their first TD I knew it was 6 from when we lined up. We dont give them a lot of help and Peters is not a great cover safety either, he let 3 across his face and that was it.

I like Arnett and he has undoubtedly done a great job but he is still learning and growing. He does a great job of giving you a lot of different stuff to look at and we usually tackle well. We had 1 or 2 times Saturday where we tackled too high but other than that we are usually good there.
    Unless you don't breakdown to make a pivotal sack to keep LSU out of the end zone. lol

I get your point.

vCash
    Gosh if we only had some tempo. These D's against us would be DYING by the 4th quarter.

vCash
    We have given up 13 TD.

2 have come from inside our red zone. NC state scored from the 4 and LSI from the 11.

The other 11 have been from turnovers or explosive plays. We've given up TDs of 72, 59, 24, 21, 25, 64, 58, and 41 yards. And then the punt return, pick 6, and fumble scoop and score.

The explosives for TDs are killing us.