Thread: In honor of Jack Cristil, great sayings Jack had in his career

vCash
    he doesn't stand a Chinaman's chance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    he doesn't stand a Chinaman's chance
    Ha great one.

vCash
    ?In the words of Winston Churchill, never have so many, owed so much to so few.? After beating Bama I think, maybe on Bellard?s show.

vCash
    One of my favorite things about Jacks’ broadcast was the vivid description of both uniforms that were being worn. He painted the picture.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    "Mississippi State thus far has been unable to generate anything that remotely resembles an offense"
    Cool thread. Bump. Good one 21

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    One of my favorite things about Jacks’ broadcast was the vivid description of both uniforms that were being worn. He painted the picture.
    Was so good for laymen like me describing formations Pre-Snap.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    ?He CAN NOT GO,,!!!? is a phrase I?ve used many times in life.....unfortunately the humor is lost on some ......
    Damn I loved hearing him say that many times. Especially in crunch time. Fired me up big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Damn I loved hearing him say that many times. Especially in crunch time. Fired me up big time.
    Same here OLJ. That was great on the old Philco with cowbells in the background. Jack made me a Bulldog before I even sat foot on campus.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Same here OLJ. That was great on the old Philco with cowbells in the background. Jack made me a Bulldog before I even sat foot on campus.
    Yep. I begged my Dad to take me to the egg bowl when I was 6 but he insisted I was too young. I sat down in my room listening to Jack while Archie sat with an arm cast. Didn't miss a beat. My mama cried. She couldn't believe a 6 yr old gave that many shits. My dad got his ass worn the 17 out when he got home. Daddy took me every time going forward. I wish I could remember the poem in its entirety. "Johnny Reb, Johnny Reb what happened today when you and The Bullies came to play. It was a shame Ole Arch was lame but not even he coulda changed this game. In the opening quarter our first downs were plenty but the poor Ole Rebs didn't get any. "

Joe Reed was our QB and 2 confeds kicked him after he was knocked out of bounds on their sideline. "17 them all to death" as Mr Garrison would say.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 09-29-2021 at 10:22 PM.

vCash
    As you can tell from my username, I'm a Jack Cristil fan. Here's a copy-and-paste from a post I made on SPS soon after Jack's death with a list of some of my favorite phrases.

1. "Don Smith is engineering at quarterback for the Bulldogs. The six-tall youngster hailing from Hamilton, Mississippi reads a four man defensive front with a three-linebacker set."

2. "Head coach Richard Williams is stylishly bedecked in his grey suit, harmonized with his maroon tie."

3. "The Bulldogs are seven yards away from the land of milk and honey, trailing nothing to three with two times out remaining."

4. "John Fourcade is hit and he is dropped, into the customary seating position. They will spot the ball along the forty-four yard stripe, 'they' being the working officials."

5. "The maroon-headgeared, maroon-jersied, white trousered Bulldogs have football possession with the ball equidistant from the sideline stripes, first and three and goal to go."

6. "The Bulldog offensive linemen are performing yeoman duty along the forward wall."

7. "The handoff is to the tailback and he cannot go, as he is stacked up by a writhing mass of humanity along the four yard line, led by Glenn Collins and Johnny Cooks."

8. "It's as cold as a pawnbroker's heart, but this crowd is alive here at Scott Field."

9. "Reggie Collier wants to throw . . . now under pressure and he's hit and dropped for a loss by Aaron Pearson," [Aaron then celebrates wildly] "and Aaron is aroused."

10. "And Dampier slams it in the goal. Kentucky asks for and receives time out, and we'll now pause for these messages on the Mississippi State network from Coke, from State Farm, and from our good friends at Iupe's, on the Square in Canton."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeCannotGo View Post
    As you can tell from my username, I'm a Jack Cristil fan. Here's a copy-and-paste from a post I made on SPS soon after Jack's death with a list of some of my favorite phrases.

1. "Don Smith is engineering at quarterback for the Bulldogs. The six-tall youngster hailing from Hamilton, Mississippi reads a four man defensive front with a three-linebacker set."

2. "Head coach Richard Williams is stylishly bedecked in his grey suit, harmonized with his maroon tie."

3. "The Bulldogs are seven yards away from the land of milk and honey, trailing nothing to three with two times out remaining."

4. "John Fourcade is hit and he is dropped, into the customary seating position. They will spot the ball along the forty-four yard stripe, 'they' being the working officials."

5. "The maroon-headgeared, maroon-jersied, white trousered Bulldogs have football possession with the ball equidistant from the sideline stripes, first and three and goal to go."

6. "The Bulldog offensive linemen are performing yeoman duty along the forward wall."

7. "The handoff is to the tailback and he cannot go, as he is stacked up by a writhing mass of humanity along the four yard line, led by Glenn Collins and Johnny Cooks."

8. "It's as cold as a pawnbroker's heart, but this crowd is alive here at Scott Field."

9. "Reggie Collier wants to throw . . . now under pressure and he's hit and dropped for a loss by Aaron Pearson," [Aaron then celebrates wildly] "and Aaron is aroused."

10. "And Dampier slams it in the goal. Kentucky asks for and receives time out, and we'll now pause for these messages on the Mississippi State network from Coke, from State Farm, and from our good friends at Iupe's, on the Square in Canton."
    Awesome. Dang brought back some memories. Wow, great post. I vividly remember many of those calls. Jack the Legend that is absolutely part responsible for Bulldog football.

Boy so wish he had been around to call the #1 ranked Bulldogs in 2014. Oh my, oh my.

vCash
    There was one phrase he used about Citation not being able to catch him, when he was describing a player who had a lot of speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeCannotGo View Post

I read every one of these in his voice. Nice!

vCash
    These are all so good, and bring back such great memories. A couple I don't think I have seen;

" The crowd is alive" and

"looking resplendent with white trousers with the maroon piping, Maroon jerseys and maroon headgear"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dstatechamps View Post
    haha- so did I
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grinnindawg View Post
    "Going at it Hammer and Tongs"

"State takes the field with what resembles an offense" //3Q in Gainesville. I think we had 1st down.

He was just above the student section for a while at basketball games. Sitting in front of him was great entertainment.
    I can still smell his cigarette smoke wafting over me.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    This and he painted such a vivid picture of everything that was happening. You could see it in your minds eye the pictures he painted of everything that was going on. Outside of Vin Scully I've never heard another radio announcer be able to let you "see" what was happening without actually seeing it. There'll never be another Jack!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dstatechamps View Post
    Same here!

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    These took me back to listening with my grandad and my grandad cussing state! Great memories! That?s why sports are great.