Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to understand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Starkville isn?t a great college town. We need more night life for the colleges kids. We also need a few nice restaurants and shops to make it where families want to come spend the wkend even during the off-season. It would really help if all of this was centrally located as well.
    What not many realize is that Starkville has enormous potential with the revitalization and expanding of the Cotton District. In another decade that area is really going to be an SEC attraction. It will be better than Oxford's Square much sooner than that too.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    What not many realize is that Starkville has enormous potential with the revitalization and expanding of the Cotton District. In another decade that area is really going to be an SEC attraction. It will be better than Oxford's Square much sooner than that too.
    Will you run for Mayor?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Once the new hotel bar restaurant is built and open it's going add a lot to the cotton district.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Once the new hotel bar restaurant is built and open it's going add a lot to the cotton district.
    I hate to even ask this, but, should the "cotton" district go ahead and be renamed before certain entities make a very reaching correlation from that name and what the original founders of ole miss liked to do?

I am all for telling people to go kick rocks, but, I am afraid in a not so distant future this could come back to bite us. And if you are right with how up and coming that area is, I just would hate for negative press.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    The atmosphere/types of entertainment. Until Covid I worked in the bar/club scene in college towns, just a different vibe. Nothing wrong with it at all but there is a huge difference. It is what it is
    For old folks not college athletes.

vCash
    Got to have a Target!

I know of 3 freshmen coeds, who the second weekend at State, drove to Tuscaloosa just to go to Target.

The above actually did happen, but not having a Target is obviously not the only problem. Starkville needs something like the Renaissance in Ridgeland or The Shopping they have out on 25. For starters. I could give a list of things that need to happen.

vCash
    Can you expound on this? I just curious what exactly is going to built on that corner.

vCash
    Guys it is simple. Starkville isn't the problem. The problem is we have the smallest recruiting budget in the SEC and we have one of the smallest football budgets in the SEC. Yall keep expecting champagne results on a light beer budget.

Just like everything else in life you get what you pay for. College football is no different and unless we find some more big money boosters or our fanbase as a whole starts to give a little bit more money you can consistently expect us to finish in the middle to bottom tier with outlier years here and there.

It is a much easier argument to make that we have actually overachieved over the last 10-12 years compared to what we spend on football.

So I'm an up and coming coach that decides I want to make my career at State where I have to play Bama, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia etc. and compete with them while only having about half the budget they have and about half the fanbase.

I don't think any of yall would intentionally take a knife to a gunfight everyday for the rest of your lives when you could go next door and just get a bigger gun.
    Last edited by BB30; 09-30-2021 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Starkville isn?t a great college town. We need more night life for the colleges kids. We also need a few nice restaurants and shops to make it where families want to come spend the wkend even during the off-season. It would really help if all of this was centrally located as well.
    When is the last time you have been in Starkville, stayed overnight and checked out the town? I?m guessing it has been awhile.

vCash
    The Sunday brunch and browse after football games has been nice. We've done it twice this year after home games. Good food, pretty good shopping for the wife (try LA Green for the wife), music, ice cream and whatnot for the kids. I'd recommend it.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Man, ain't that right! I have a great time in Starkville.

I have kids college age. The college kids are having a great time in Starkville.
    As much fun as they could have in Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Nashville, Knoxville, or Baton Rouge?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Guys it is simple. Starkville isn't the problem. The problem is we have the smallest recruiting budget in the SEC and we have one of the smallest football budgets in the SEC. Yall keep expecting champagne results on a light beer budget.

Just like everything else in life you get what you pay for. College football is no different and unless we find some more big money boosters or our fanbase as a whole starts to give a little bit more money you can consistently expect us to finish in the middle to bottom tier with outlier years here and there.

It is a much easier argument to make that we have actually overachieved over the last 10-12 years compared to what we spend on football.

So I'm an up and coming coach that decides I want to make my career at State where I have to play Bama, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia etc. and compete with them while only having about half the budget they have and about half the fanbase.

I don't think any of yall would intentionally take a knife to a gunfight everyday for the rest of your lives when you could go next door and just get a bigger gun.
    The recruiting budget needs to be equal to our coaches budget, every single year.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    When is the last time you have been in Starkville, stayed overnight and checked out the town? I?m guessing it has been awhile.
    About 10 days ago! When was the last time you were in college? Stop looking at it from out of college grown adult view and look at it from a high school senior wanting to party with good bands/concert point of view.

vCash
    State has had record enrollment growth every year since 2015. 6 straight years. No other school in this state can say the same, so starkville must be doing smn right. In fact, the University of Mississippi has decreased enrollment every year since 2017.

State has 3k more undergraduate students than Mississippi.
    Last edited by confucius say; 09-30-2021 at 01:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    Go to Clemson. Its been 25 years since I've been there but there is still only one small street with bars. It will remind you of 1990 Starkville. You have to go 20 miles to Anderson or Greenville for any eating places. But it does have a beautiful lake.