Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SECN airing play by play announcers SEC storied right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    There is plenty of nostalgia to like in that clip, but you're not wrong. It seems we always have to lower/reduce ourselves...the general "tone" of the segment was probably a condition of LT to even be included, lol.

1980 was a huge win, and I love hearing Jack's call...but there are others we could've included in addition...rather than the self-deprecating stuff. I don't mind the "drive home to Tupelo" bit, since that shows Jack's humor, but MSU always seems to be made out to be the joke of the conference, and we seemingly just accept it. Not only do we mention OM in our segment, but its a loss to OM, lol. WTF.

This is also a reminder of our home games being played in Jackson rather that Starkville, and should make everyone of us sick.

During that time, did OM do the same? Did they play their home Egg Bowl games in Jackson or in Oxford?

The fact we also elected to play Bama and other schools in Jackson rather than at home just shows the levels of self sabotage we were willing to inflict upon ourselves. It's honestly a wonder we've ever had any football success considering our past.
    Back then the stadium in Jackson was bigger (even before it was expanded), nicer, and had lights. If you weren't going to MSU games prior to 1986 you really have no concept of how bad our stadium was. It was a little over 30k and did not have lights. It was a complete dump, even by the standards of the day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    You obviously didn't grow up in the 70's-early 90's because both us and Ole Miss played three home games or a more in Jackson, and both teams home Egg Bowl games were in Jackson from I believe 1973-90. Some years us and Ole Miss would play four games each in Jackson(counting the Egg Bowl). We'd also play DHers with Ole Miss playing an SEC opponent as well as us. Vaught-Hemingway didn't even get lights until 1990. Jackson held 60,000 plus while both Scott Field and Vaught held in the low 30,000's. Much more profitable to play in Jackson then. That changed with on campus lights and stadium expansions. Bama and Auburn treated Birmingham the same during this period.
    Yeah I'm thankful JWS brought games back to campus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Playing in Jackson was ok. The stadium was the twice the size of Scott Field.

The problem was us selling so many home games. We played in Baton Rouge 20 out of 23 years or some ridiculous amount in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We would play our home games against Auburn in B'ham and other places. Just a very terrible, stupid job of managing athletics in the old days.
    Combine that with never forcing the issue on how our schedule was stacked against us year in and year out. Most years 5 of our 6 SEC games were OM, LSU, Bama, Auburn, and Florida. Meanwhile Ole Miss gets to play Tulane and Vandy every year and spent the better part of 3 decades dodging Bama, Auburn, GA, and FL.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I agree Todd.. I felt it was a self-deprecating piece. Was it even mentioned he did pxp for basketball? I remember well listening to him call a State win over Kentucky in basketball (early 80s).
    Jack was awesome in basketball. "It's string music in Lexington, John"!

vCash
    This was Jack at his best. Just a phenomenal pxp guy.

Great watching 3 of my childhood friends,Bill Bell, Roman Grace and Bobby M, playing together/ I know Fred C and Bill Bell attend home games together with other members of that team.

vCash
    This was Jack at his best. Just a phenomenal pxp guy.

Great memories! I remember this game well!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Great watching 3 of my childhood friends,Bill Bell, Roman Grace and Bobby M, playing together/ I know Fred C and Bill Bell attend home games together with other members of that team.
    Rep given cuz I'm shamed for forgetting that game. Gracias Senior; I enjoyed the hell outta dat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This is probably going to be taken the wrong way. But some of that clip makes me mad and should make us mad.

The first half is all about how bad we are at football, the wind blowing the ball back, the Sonic Drive of the Game and the MSU people just laughing about it.

THAT'S A PROBLEM and why we are perceived poorly.

Now, yes it did show the 1999 Egg Bowl and some other good highlights. But the clip of Jackie handing Jack a football from a big one and the narrator talking about how bad our football program is just hit me the wrong way.

Flame away.
    Agree Todd. I was a little pissed at how they did us. The show was about play by play guys and our segment about Jack not MSU football domination. We got some decent air time but should have got more. Jack is one of the best to ever call in SEC and college football. MSU may not have NC in football but we had a dynasty in Jack Cristil and the segment should have been all that.

Where was the 99 kick, pick, kick call? Where was the 98 winning West call?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    +infinity. A lot of these folks don't remember the days before every game was televised and we had to listen to games on the radio and hear Jack call the games. Jack's voice was the soundtrack of my fall saturdays growing up. I miss hearing his voice. Seems like everything was right with the world hearing Jack call our games(even when we sucked). I'm getting old.
    Jack's voice was MSU football to me as a kid. The images of the boy listening to the radio and his voice was so many kids in Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah I'm thankful JWS brought games back to campus.
    The young pups don't realize what all Jackie did for MSU football. That is why he is the Kang.

Yes Mullen did some good things too but Mullen do accomplish what he did without Jackie doing what he did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The young pups don't realize what all Jackie did for MSU football. That is why he is the Kang.

Yes Mullen did some good things too but Mullen do accomplish what he did without Jackie doing what he did.
    Amen. I will always love what The Kang did for us, he stood up for us and showed us we could punch back and win! Can't forget Mrs. Peggy either, she loves MSU and and pulls for us in everything. Will never forget her contributions either.

vCash

I agree with you 100% -
    However, I wonder if Jackie was with us currently, how long would he have lasted? A whole lot of people on this board who love Jackie tend to ignore 3-6-2 in '93 and 3-8 in '95 and regular WTF losses to Memphis, terrible LSU teams, Louisiana-Monroe, & La Tech. I'm not sure Jackie could survive past '95 today - people are way too impatient.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I agree with you 100% -
    However, I wonder if Jackie was with us currently, how long would he have lasted? A whole lot of people on this board who love Jackie tend to ignore 3-6-2 in '93 and 3-8 in '95 and regular WTF losses to Memphis, terrible LSU teams, Louisiana-Monroe, & La Tech. I'm not sure Jackie could survive past '95 today - people are way too impatient.
    Maybe so. Sign of the times we live partly, signs of recent MSU success too.

If you remember correctly, JWS was in trouble in 96 with rumors he would be fired but then 96 Bama happened and the rest is great MSU history from 96-2001.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I agree with you 100% -
    I agree, we've become to much of an instant gratifcation society.

vCash
    Maybe so. Sign of the times we live partly, signs of recent MSU success too.

If you remember correctly, JWS was in trouble in 96 with rumors he would be fired but then 96 Bama happened and the rest is great MSU history from 96-2001.
    I remember quite well, and the leading candidate for his replacement was Bobby Wallace at UNA.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    This is also a reminder of our home games being played in Jackson rather that Starkville, and should make everyone of us sick.

Bobby Dodd refused to play any games in Mississippi anywhere and bear Bryant refused to play in Starkville. Don't remember if there were others.