Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SECN airing play by play announcers SEC storied right now

vCash

SECN airing play by play announcers SEC storied right now

So far Jack only has a brief mention. Looking for a section on Jack.

vCash
    Nice segment on Jack.

vCash
    I understand that Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia and Florida have remarkable wins in some very meaningful games. They have wins against their rivals. Some have national championships. Some have players that are know by just mentioning the players first name. They all had/have very good play by play announcers. But growing up in a Mississippi State University family with a dad that loved everything MSU but especially MSU football. And all of my life listening to one voice call State football. Jack Cristil was in my opinion in a league of his own as far as announcers are graded!

vCash
    https://twitter.com/secnetwork/statu...990303756?s=21

Can We have one damn thing, that we do, without mentioning Ole Miss? I mean damn... the immaculate deflection????!! Cmon. Just once, please.

Jack Cristil was so good and broadcasted for 50 years. There was plenty of material and stories.

Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 09-26-2021 at 08:39 PM.

vCash
    I grew up a UGA fan in Ga - and to me Larry Munson will always be the best. It took me a while to appreciate Jack. I thought he was boring because I was so used to Larry's histrionics and unabashed homerism. Between Larry and Skip Caray, I thought that was the only way to call games. Where I began to appreciate Jack was listening to him do basketball. I always thought he was a helluva basketball play by play guy and really felt like he flowed well with the game.

vCash
    I like Neil and think he does a great job but damn if I don't miss Jack.

vCash
    This is probably going to be taken the wrong way. But some of that clip makes me mad and should make us mad.

The first half is all about how bad we are at football, the wind blowing the ball back, the Sonic Drive of the Game and the MSU people just laughing about it.

THAT'S A PROBLEM and why we are perceived poorly.

Now, yes it did show the 1999 Egg Bowl and some other good highlights. But the clip of Jackie handing Jack a football from a big one and the narrator talking about how bad our football program is just hit me the wrong way.

Flame away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This is probably going to be taken the wrong way. But some of that clip makes me mad and should make us mad.

The first half is all about how bad we are at football, the wind blowing the ball back, the Sonic Drive of the Game and the MSU people just laughing about it.

THAT'S A PROBLEM and why we are perceived poorly.

Now, yes it did show the 1999 Egg Bowl and some other good highlights. But the clip of Jackie handing Jack a football from a big one and the narrator talking about how bad our football program is just hit me the wrong way.

Flame away.
    There is plenty of nostalgia to like in that clip, but you're not wrong. It seems we always have to lower/reduce ourselves...the general "tone" of the segment was probably a condition of LT to even be included, lol.

1980 was a huge win, and I love hearing Jack's call...but there are others we could've included in addition...rather than the self-deprecating stuff. I don't mind the "drive home to Tupelo" bit, since that shows Jack's humor, but MSU always seems to be made out to be the joke of the conference, and we seemingly just accept it. Not only do we mention OM in our segment, but its a loss to OM, lol. WTF.

This is also a reminder of our home games being played in Jackson rather that Starkville, and should make everyone of us sick.

During that time, did OM do the same? Did they play their home Egg Bowl games in Jackson or in Oxford?

The fact we also elected to play Bama and other schools in Jackson rather than at home just shows the levels of self sabotage we were willing to inflict upon ourselves. It's honestly a wonder we've ever had any football success considering our past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post

During that time, did OM do the same? Did they play their home Egg Bowl games in Jackson or in Oxford?

The fact we also elected to play Bama and other schools in Jackson rather than at home just shows the levels of self sabotage we were willing to inflict upon ourselves. It's honestly a wonder we've ever had any football success considering our past.
    OM, Arkansas, Alabama and I believe Auburn too played home games in the largest city in their state rather than on campus in those days. Alabama played in Birmingham just as much as Tuscaloosa.

OM played just as many games as we did in Jackson in the 70 and 80s. OM played a few games in Jackson until 1993 or 94. We quit after the 90 season. Arkansas was playing multiple games as late 2010 in Little Rock. I believe Alabama played one home game a year in Bham as late as 96.

You aren't wrong in games Belong on campus. But we just did what everyone else did in those days.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 09-27-2021 at 06:29 AM.

vCash
    I agree Todd.. I felt it was a self-deprecating piece. Was it even mentioned he did pxp for basketball? I remember well listening to him call a State win over Kentucky in basketball (early 80s).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    OM, Arkansas, Alabama and I believe Auburn too played home games in the largest city in their state rather than on campus in those days. Alabama played in Birmingham just as much as Tuscaloosa.

OM played just as many games as we did in Jackson in the 70 and 80s. OM played a few games in Jackson until 1993 or 94. We quit after the 90 season. Arkansas was playing multiple games as late 2010 in Little Rock. I believe Alabama played one home game a year in Bham as late as 96.

You aren't wrong in games Belong on campus. But we just did what everyone else did in those days.
    Ah, thanks for that bit of info. Wasn't aware that was normal back then.

vCash
    Scott Field didn't have lights til the mid or late 80s. Had to bring in portable lights for our first night game.

ETA: 1982 beat LSU 27-24
    Last edited by msstatelp1; 09-27-2021 at 08:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I agree Todd.. I felt it was a self-deprecating piece. Was it even mentioned he did pxp for basketball? I remember well listening to him call a State win over Kentucky in basketball (early 80s).
    Nope but they mentioned that Bear Bryant came to our locker room and talked to our team. They make that out like that is some accomplishment. Truth is he was probably drunk and went to the wrong locker room.

vCash
    Hahaha. Yeah. I always thought that was a arrogant move. Or at least the way we tell the story makes me believe it was arrogant.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdawg View Post
    I understand that Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia and Florida have remarkable wins in some very meaningful games. They have wins against their rivals. Some have national championships. Some have players that are know by just mentioning the players first name. They all had/have very good play by play announcers. But growing up in a Mississippi State University family with a dad that loved everything MSU but especially MSU football. And all of my life listening to one voice call State football. Jack Cristil was in my opinion in a league of his own as far as announcers are graded!
    Yep. My first was the egg bowl when Archie was on the sideline with arm in cast. '69 or '70 and i was 6 or 7. As I grew older I always liked how you'd just about know where all 22 were before snap. Nobody visualized the field with their voice bettern JACK. I know he slowed towards the end but didn't matter to me. I wanted to kick several young 17's asses on here with this "time to retire shit". I bet Jack wanted to die in the booth with a cig and whiskey.

vCash
    This was Jack at his best. Just a phenomenal pxp guy.

vCash
    There is plenty of nostalgia to like in that clip, but you're not wrong. It seems we always have to lower/reduce ourselves...the general "tone" of the segment was probably a condition of LT to even be included, lol.

1980 was a huge win, and I love hearing Jack's call...but there are others we could've included in addition...rather than the self-deprecating stuff. I don't mind the "drive home to Tupelo" bit, since that shows Jack's humor, but MSU always seems to be made out to be the joke of the conference, and we seemingly just accept it. Not only do we mention OM in our segment, but its a loss to OM, lol. WTF.

This is also a reminder of our home games being played in Jackson rather that Starkville, and should make everyone of us sick.

You obviously didn't grow up in the 70's-early 90's because both us and Ole Miss played three home games or a more in Jackson, and both teams home Egg Bowl games were in Jackson from I believe 1973-90. Some years us and Ole Miss would play four games each in Jackson(counting the Egg Bowl). We'd also play DHers with Ole Miss playing an SEC opponent as well as us. Vaught-Hemingway didn't even get lights until 1990. Jackson held 60,000 plus while both Scott Field and Vaught held in the low 30,000's. Much more profitable to play in Jackson then. That changed with on campus lights and stadium expansions. Bama and Auburn treated Birmingham the same during this period.

vCash
    Playing in Jackson was ok. The stadium was the twice the size of Scott Field.

The problem was us selling so many home games. We played in Baton Rouge 20 out of 23 years or some ridiculous amount in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We would play our home games against Auburn in B'ham and other places. Just a very terrible, stupid job of managing athletics in the old days.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Playing in Jackson was ok. The stadium was the twice the size of Scott Field.

The problem was us selling so many home games. We played in Baton Rouge 20 out of 23 years or some ridiculous amount in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We would play our home games against Auburn in B'ham and other places. Just a very terrible, stupid job of managing athletics in the old days.
    I was too hung up on Jackson, but this was definitely the issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    I like Neil and think he does a great job but damn if I don't miss Jack.
    +infinity. A lot of these folks don't remember the days before every game was televised and we had to listen to games on the radio and hear Jack call the games. Jack's voice was the soundtrack of my fall saturdays growing up. I miss hearing his voice. Seems like everything was right with the world hearing Jack call our games(even when we sucked). I'm getting old.