Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- We Won The Stats Edition

  1. #1
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24,955
    vCash
    110

    Sunday Morning QB- We Won The Stats Edition

    1. Got to spend the morning watching my 10 year play. They put their 12 game winning streak on the line and rolled to a 33-6 victory. In talks with my son Friday evening I realized that he is in his 4th season playing football and he has never lost. Not once. It's to the point it doesnt even occur to him they could lose. Will be interesting to see his reaction when that day comes. The irony of it all is I have to sit there and watch them run the Wing-T- the only football offense more boring than the Mike Leach Air Raid

    2. All week I got to read about how awful Orgeron is as a coach, LSU has new coordinators so advantage to us, their offense sux so our D should shut them down, we had the QB advantage because their QB has less starts than ours, their best defensive player was out- plus another starter, and that LSU was a dumpsterfire. And we were at home. Complete and total advantage to us for the game. Even most of the betting money was on us

    3. I'm sorry- but this game was never in doubt after the Heath fumble. 4 didnt have the ball high and tight and the DB put his helmet right on it. That was ballgame. From that point on I never felt like we were going to win the game. Nothing I was seeing made me feel like we would get ahead in the game. We were down 18 in the 4th Q- 3 scores. We werent really in the game. Our offense is why we now have been down to La Tech, Memphis, and LSU by double digits in the 4th Q.

    4. "We had alot of total offense". Of course we did. They played a Prevent D play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play. They didnt even hardly run any stunts or twists with the DL. All they did for the most part was slide the DE's to wide 9's or slide them inside to a 404 front. 85% of the game we faced the absolute most basic defense a team can run. What did we do with it? First 8 drives we scored 3 points. Lots of plays run by our Wishbone 2020 offense but no return.

    We will always get stats against a Prevent D. They are giving us yards. They are letting the Wishbone 2020 do its thing. They are betting Wishbone 2020 will make a mistake, commit penalties, turn the ball over on a 10-12 play drive before it can score. And they would be correct most of the time. Few explosive plays. 10th in the SEC in 10+ and 20+ plays. 13th in the SEC in 30+ plays. Wishbone 2020

    5. We did run the ball a little more. That's progress I guess. It was somewhat effective and help build the stats for us. But there is still no imagination in the run game. It's Jr High level at best except most Jr High teams have a more varied run package than we do.

    6. Our 2nd drive of the game was a perfect snapshot of why Leach is not ever going to work:

    Marks 5 yard run
    Marks 6 yards run- 1st down
    Pass incomplete
    Rogers pass to Marks for 2 yards
    Rogers checkdown pass to Johnson for 5 yards
    Punt

    7. LSU and others are mixing things up some when we get to the Red Zone. Which is not surprising. It would help if we had some type of plan for that.

    8. Not sure why LSU went away from the 2 high some in the 4th Q. Boredom most likely. Big lead so try some other coverage to see how your D does. Whatever it was it helped us. Rogers- who threw the pick after being baited by the sagging CB on the corner route against the 2 high- got a 1 high look and hit Polk for the TD. You could see the solo safety trying to get there from the middle of the field and just couldnt. Good read and throw by Rogers.

    9. Defense gave up some big plays like aggressive defenses do. We are aggressive and are programmed to stop the run. LSU came out of halftime with their go to play for a big one and they hit it. We are going to bite on play action and they got the LB's to come up- giving him a great window for the TD pass. LSU has some pretty good WR's also so they were going to make some plays. I'm not as worried about that one or the one where our guys tried to kill each other on the rub route as I am where they had the guy running free in the Secondary. That cant happen no matter how good their playcall was. We play a helluva lot of man coverage and teams are going to hit some big plays against it. SEC teams have playmakers at WR.

    10. We go on the road to play a night game against a better defense than the one we just played. A&M's licking their wounds from a very physical UPig team. We are getting them having to play their back-up QB so that even it up a little. Very likely is another low-scoring game heading into the 4th Q. I expect more offensive penalties and some sacks due to the crowd noise.

    11. Almost forgot- got to give a shout to our RB's- Marks and Johnson. You have got to be a tough SOB to play RB in this Wishbone 2020 offense. Getting blown up on some of these dump downs, having people diving at your legs the very second you turn around after receiving the dump down, etc. I really appreciate the job these 2 guys are doing in this Wishbone 2020 offense. A big bark to you two.

    HailState
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6,511
    vCash
    116547
    Remember #4 is all that counts.** Some of our guys think that we won because we had more yards not more points. Perfect example is that last drive. We needed 2 scores and took almost 4 mins to go downfield on a team that was playing the loosest prevent D you can and we scored because of a busted coverage. No sense of urgency at all. But we did get alot of yards.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,273
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Remember #4 is all that counts.** Some of our guys think that we won because we had more yards not more points. Perfect example is that last drive. We needed 2 scores and took almost 4 mins to go downfield on a team that was playing the loosest prevent D you can and we scored because of a busted coverage. No sense of urgency at all. But we did get alot of yards.
    In that drive we snapped the ball with 5 seconds left on the play with a running clock. Let not even talk about the challenge. Leach's clock management would make JWS embarrassed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6,511
    vCash
    116547
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    In that drive we snapped the ball with 5 seconds left on the play with a running clock. Let not even talk about the challenge. Leach's clock management would make JWS embarrassed.
    Whats even worse is the LSU fans saying that Miles had better clock management than Leach

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,312
    vCash
    700
    This pitiful saga continues next week at 6pm central.

  6. #6
    Senior Member gtowndawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis area
    Posts
    1,720
    vCash
    600
    We're going to win 4 games this year but somehow our fans will convince themselves we're a good team. It blows my mind. We are M State.

    edited: at least we're tearing up the recruiting trail (checks notes), uhh, nevermind.
    Last edited by gtowndawg; 09-26-2021 at 11:46 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member KOdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    7,984
    vCash
    964000
    Correct on all counts.

    A lot of the optimism after yesterday is just based on hope. LSU isn't a good team.

    Enjoy Arnett while we have him. The dude deserves so much better than what he's getting.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,273
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Correct on all counts.

    A lot of the optimism after yesterday is just based on hope. LSU isn't a good team.

    Enjoy Arnett while we have him. The dude deserves so much better than what he's getting.
    Thought the same thing. No doubt he will be making a move in DEC.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    243
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    We're going to win 4 games this year but somehow our fans will convince themselves we're a good team. It blows my mind. We are M State.

    edited: at least we're tearing up the recruiting trail (checks notes), uhh, nevermind.
    And we'll convince ourselves we are one year away from the offense clicking. We're always suspiciously one year away from any type of success.
    Last edited by SteelCurtain74; 09-26-2021 at 01:03 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,057
    vCash
    600
    Excellent post.

  11. #11
    Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    568
    vCash
    600
    Coach 34 is absolutely correct. The yards and QB stats are a mirage. Any offense that allows the defense to play one way all game is not going to work. I have a hope that Leach makes adjustments next year with the off-season. I doubt it though.

  12. #12
    Senior Member MoreCowbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mobile~Jackson
    Posts
    743
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. Got to spend the morning watching my 10 year play. They put their 12 game winning streak on the line and rolled to a 33-6 victory. In talks with my son Friday evening I realized that he is in his 4th season playing football and he has never lost. Not once. It's to the point it doesnt even occur to him they could lose. Will be interesting to see his reaction when that day comes. The irony of it all is I have to sit there and watch them run the Wing-T- the only football offense more boring than the Mike Leach Air Raid

    2. All week I got to read about how awful Orgeron is as a coach, LSU has new coordinators so advantage to us, their offense sux so our D should shut them down, we had the QB advantage because their QB has less starts than ours, their best defensive player was out- plus another starter, and that LSU was a dumpsterfire. And we were at home. Complete and total advantage to us for the game. Even most of the betting money was on us

    3. I'm sorry- but this game was never in doubt after the Heath fumble. 4 didnt have the ball high and tight and the DB put his helmet right on it. That was ballgame. From that point on I never felt like we were going to win the game. Nothing I was seeing made me feel like we would get ahead in the game. We were down 18 in the 4th Q- 3 scores. We werent really in the game. Our offense is why we now have been down to La Tech, Memphis, and LSU by double digits in the 4th Q.

    4. "We had alot of total offense". Of course we did. They played a Prevent D play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play. They didnt even hardly run any stunts or twists with the DL. All they did for the most part was slide the DE's to wide 9's or slide them inside to a 404 front. 85% of the game we faced the absolute most basic defense a team can run. What did we do with it? First 8 drives we scored 3 points. Lots of plays run by our Wishbone 2020 offense but no return.

    We will always get stats against a Prevent D. They are giving us yards. They are letting the Wishbone 2020 do its thing. They are betting Wishbone 2020 will make a mistake, commit penalties, turn the ball over on a 10-12 play drive before it can score. And they would be correct most of the time. Few explosive plays. 10th in the SEC in 10+ and 20+ plays. 13th in the SEC in 30+ plays. Wishbone 2020

    5. We did run the ball a little more. That's progress I guess. It was somewhat effective and help build the stats for us. But there is still no imagination in the run game. It's Jr High level at best except most Jr High teams have a more varied run package than we do.

    6. Our 2nd drive of the game was a perfect snapshot of why Leach is not ever going to work:

    Marks 5 yard run
    Marks 6 yards run- 1st down
    Pass incomplete
    Rogers pass to Marks for 2 yards
    Rogers checkdown pass to Johnson for 5 yards
    Punt

    7. LSU and others are mixing things up some when we get to the Red Zone. Which is not surprising. It would help if we had some type of plan for that.

    8. Not sure why LSU went away from the 2 high some in the 4th Q. Boredom most likely. Big lead so try some other coverage to see how your D does. Whatever it was it helped us. Rogers- who threw the pick after being baited by the sagging CB on the corner route against the 2 high- got a 1 high look and hit Polk for the TD. You could see the solo safety trying to get there from the middle of the field and just couldnt. Good read and throw by Rogers.

    9. Defense gave up some big plays like aggressive defenses do. We are aggressive and are programmed to stop the run. LSU came out of halftime with their go to play for a big one and they hit it. We are going to bite on play action and they got the LB's to come up- giving him a great window for the TD pass. LSU has some pretty good WR's also so they were going to make some plays. I'm not as worried about that one or the one where our guys tried to kill each other on the rub route as I am where they had the guy running free in the Secondary. That cant happen no matter how good their playcall was. We play a helluva lot of man coverage and teams are going to hit some big plays against it. SEC teams have playmakers at WR.

    10. We go on the road to play a night game against a better defense than the one we just played. A&M's licking their wounds from a very physical UPig team. We are getting them having to play their back-up QB so that even it up a little. Very likely is another low-scoring game heading into the 4th Q. I expect more offensive penalties and some sacks due to the crowd noise.

    11. Almost forgot- got to give a shout to our RB's- Marks and Johnson. You have got to be a tough SOB to play RB in this Wishbone 2020 offense. Getting blown up on some of these dump downs, having people diving at your legs the very second you turn around after receiving the dump down, etc. I really appreciate the job these 2 guys are doing in this Wishbone 2020 offense. A big bark to you two.

    HailState
    Spot on.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,646
    vCash
    700
    I agree - not sure how you can objectively disagree with anything he said.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,572
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    We're going to win 4 games this year but somehow our fans will convince themselves we're a good team. It blows my mind. We are M State.

    edited: at least we're tearing up the recruiting trail (checks notes), uhh, nevermind.
    That is the disturbing part and that is why we will never get better as a program. We deserve and get what we expect which is a losing product on the field. You can never perform above your expectations.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,572
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. Got to spend the morning watching my 10 year play. They put their 12 game winning streak on the line and rolled to a 33-6 victory. In talks with my son Friday evening I realized that he is in his 4th season playing football and he has never lost. Not once. It's to the point it doesnt even occur to him they could lose. Will be interesting to see his reaction when that day comes. The irony of it all is I have to sit there and watch them run the Wing-T- the only football offense more boring than the Mike Leach Air Raid

    2. All week I got to read about how awful Orgeron is as a coach, LSU has new coordinators so advantage to us, their offense sux so our D should shut them down, we had the QB advantage because their QB has less starts than ours, their best defensive player was out- plus another starter, and that LSU was a dumpsterfire. And we were at home. Complete and total advantage to us for the game. Even most of the betting money was on us

    3. I'm sorry- but this game was never in doubt after the Heath fumble. 4 didnt have the ball high and tight and the DB put his helmet right on it. That was ballgame. From that point on I never felt like we were going to win the game. Nothing I was seeing made me feel like we would get ahead in the game. We were down 18 in the 4th Q- 3 scores. We werent really in the game. Our offense is why we now have been down to La Tech, Memphis, and LSU by double digits in the 4th Q.

    4. "We had alot of total offense". Of course we did. They played a Prevent D play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play. They didnt even hardly run any stunts or twists with the DL. All they did for the most part was slide the DE's to wide 9's or slide them inside to a 404 front. 85% of the game we faced the absolute most basic defense a team can run. What did we do with it? First 8 drives we scored 3 points. Lots of plays run by our Wishbone 2020 offense but no return.

    We will always get stats against a Prevent D. They are giving us yards. They are letting the Wishbone 2020 do its thing. They are betting Wishbone 2020 will make a mistake, commit penalties, turn the ball over on a 10-12 play drive before it can score. And they would be correct most of the time. Few explosive plays. 10th in the SEC in 10+ and 20+ plays. 13th in the SEC in 30+ plays. Wishbone 2020

    5. We did run the ball a little more. That's progress I guess. It was somewhat effective and help build the stats for us. But there is still no imagination in the run game. It's Jr High level at best except most Jr High teams have a more varied run package than we do.

    6. Our 2nd drive of the game was a perfect snapshot of why Leach is not ever going to work:

    Marks 5 yard run
    Marks 6 yards run- 1st down
    Pass incomplete
    Rogers pass to Marks for 2 yards
    Rogers checkdown pass to Johnson for 5 yards
    Punt

    7. LSU and others are mixing things up some when we get to the Red Zone. Which is not surprising. It would help if we had some type of plan for that.

    8. Not sure why LSU went away from the 2 high some in the 4th Q. Boredom most likely. Big lead so try some other coverage to see how your D does. Whatever it was it helped us. Rogers- who threw the pick after being baited by the sagging CB on the corner route against the 2 high- got a 1 high look and hit Polk for the TD. You could see the solo safety trying to get there from the middle of the field and just couldnt. Good read and throw by Rogers.

    9. Defense gave up some big plays like aggressive defenses do. We are aggressive and are programmed to stop the run. LSU came out of halftime with their go to play for a big one and they hit it. We are going to bite on play action and they got the LB's to come up- giving him a great window for the TD pass. LSU has some pretty good WR's also so they were going to make some plays. I'm not as worried about that one or the one where our guys tried to kill each other on the rub route as I am where they had the guy running free in the Secondary. That cant happen no matter how good their playcall was. We play a helluva lot of man coverage and teams are going to hit some big plays against it. SEC teams have playmakers at WR.

    10. We go on the road to play a night game against a better defense than the one we just played. A&M's licking their wounds from a very physical UPig team. We are getting them having to play their back-up QB so that even it up a little. Very likely is another low-scoring game heading into the 4th Q. I expect more offensive penalties and some sacks due to the crowd noise.

    11. Almost forgot- got to give a shout to our RB's- Marks and Johnson. You have got to be a tough SOB to play RB in this Wishbone 2020 offense. Getting blown up on some of these dump downs, having people diving at your legs the very second you turn around after receiving the dump down, etc. I really appreciate the job these 2 guys are doing in this Wishbone 2020 offense. A big bark to you two.

    HailState
    Nailed it again 34.

    Couple extras.

    On the 3rd quarter TD pass. Preston is just not smart in coverage. He is good in run support and only needs to play in run only situations somehow or play him in a blitz package when he is the blitzer. He is generally a good tackler. He can't be in covering any WR especially deep balls. He has been burned over and over. Cost us a game potentially here.

    Second you on the RB. Kudos to those guys. They are tough. Dead on they get blown up 10 times a game with the checkdowns. It is like sending a WR over the middle with a high floater and two players converging on them.

    I'm no football expert but most of this is just common sense. The simple fact that in every game but one we are down 2+TDs to bad teams and get most of our points against a prevent D says a lot. Folks take the blinders off.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,572
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Coach 34 is absolutely correct. The yards and QB stats are a mirage. Any offense that allows the defense to play one way all game is not going to work. I have a hope that Leach makes adjustments next year with the off-season. I doubt it though.
    A great coach makes adjustments at halftime. A good coach makes adjustments before the next game.

    Have we done either? Maybe we ran the ball a little more which is positive but I'm not sure what else.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13,397
    vCash
    10
    serious question. what would you do if your son's high school team ran the Wing T.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24,955
    vCash
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    serious question. what would you do if your son's high school team ran the Wing T.
    Do everything in my power to get my Ex to switch schools for my younger son because he has a chance to play after HS. It's ok right now because the group he plays for is coached well. He'll be in middle school ball with his older brother next year and they run the Spread.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

  19. #19
    Senior Member BayouDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,771
    vCash
    600
    Well after we beat NC state all anyone talked about was how they beat us in total yards. Cant have it both ways.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    500
    vCash
    1150
    34, you make good points. But I have scoured the tweeters, book faces and a few board threads. I have found hope:
    1. Leach won everywhere he has been using the Raid
    2. He's technically in his first season
    3. He's got a secret stash of HIS PLAYERS that will be here soon
    4. The players are young but getting older everyday
    5. Will can't see the deep post and go routes but he's order some good contact lenses
    6. Will is just a placeholder for Sawyer. Sawyer has ran the RAID since kindergarten
    7. The OL sucks but they are making improvements
    8. The reason we don't throw downfield more is because the WRs are lazy route runners but Leach Beach should have that fixed by Wednesday
    9. SloMo Joe destroyed the very being of our football program, I mean he took it totally off course. But the Pirate is correcting the ship!!!

    Use this information to edit your SM-QB, Hope Springs Eternal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.