Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm surprised by how negative the board is right now

vCash

I'm surprised by how negative the board is right now

Yes, it sucks really, really bad that we lost the game, especially after playing well enough to win except on a couple of breakdown plays, but I'm not seeing all the negativity here as warranted. It seems like today was a step in the right direction.
    • Offensively we played well enough to win, racking up 486 yards and 29 first downs on a much more talented defense than we've seen all season. That's the most yards we've had during the Leach Era, other than Costello's 623 yard stomping of LSU in game 1.
    • More importantly, we threw it down the field more than we've been doing. Austin Williams is figuring out how to get open in the drop 8 and make plays, and Makai Polk is establishing himself as a reliable go-to guy. We haven't clicked yet, but we may go way beyond 486 once we do - we certainly could have today with better execution.
    • We ran the ball more today, by both attempts and yardage. This offense will be even better when we're running for 100 yards each game.
    • Both the OL and DL played better.
    • The defense ... was mostly solid, but had not 1, not 2, but 3 absolute disasters that all led to TDs. Clean that up, and the game resembles our 2017 game with them.

Anyway, I'm in a bad mood that we should have won and blew it, but given the strength of opponent, and how last year + the first 3 games of this year went, I don't think a meltdown is warranted, at least not from a perspective of "I told you the Air Raid can't win SEC games!!!" since the offense was more than good enough to get the win and we're moving in the direction that the same people have clamored to move.

I think a lot of people just never liked Leach and are eager to complain about him any time we lose, regardless of how the game actually went.
    Last edited by Quaoarsking; 09-25-2021 at 05:47 PM.

vCash
    You play to win the game. If we had had 120 yards passing and 60 yards rushing and win the game. People would feel better. Yea, there would have been the usual complaining about offensive production stat wise. But like Auburn fans right now, most of them are delirious even though they trailed to G5 Georgia State for 59 minutes and 15 seconds today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    You play to win the game. If we had had 120 yards passing and 60 yards rushing and win the game. People would feel better. Yea, there would have been the usual complaining about offensive production stat wise. But like Auburn fans right now, most of them are delirious even though they trailed to G5 Georgia State for 59 minutes and 15 seconds today.
    Yet, their coach made a change that helped the team. Our coach won't do that.

vCash
    We lost a game that we should've won for the second week in a row. I'm not big into moral victories. 10 years from now, no one will remember we did some good things in this game. We'll remember that we lost.

vCash
    I personally struggle with what I feel is a loss of identity. MSU was a hard nosed football program. I know everyone wants to run the ball, but it?s more than that. We cling to RTGDB because it takes power, strength, and toughness to impose those type yards. I don?t think anyone begrudges the passing yards, but is it worth the entire cost of who we are to chase numbers that while ?record breaking? for us, have been almost devoid of wins? When we lost or won in the past, the game felt like a battle from the beginning to the end, not like- gee, I hope they get super conservative running out the clock so that we can make it look respectable on the score board. I?m sorry. I know I?m just talking out of anger, but this just sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Yes, it sucks really, really bad that we lost the game, especially after playing well enough to win except on a couple of breakdown plays, but I'm not seeing all the negativity here as warranted. It seems like today was a step in the right direction.
    • Offensively we played well enough to win, racking up 486 yards and 29 first downs on a much more talented defense than we've seen all season. That's the most yards we've had during the Leach Era, other than Costello's 623 yard stomping of LSU in game 1.
    • More importantly, we threw it down the field more than we've been doing. Austin Williams is figuring out how to get open in the drop 8 and make plays, and Makai Polk is establishing himself as a reliable go-to guy. We haven't clicked yet, but we may go way beyond 486 once we do - we certainly could have today with better execution.
    • We ran the ball more today, by both attempts and yardage. This offense will be even better when we're running for 100 yards each game.
    • Both the OL and DL played better.
    • The defense ... was mostly solid, but had not 1, not 2, but 3 absolute disasters that all led to TDs. Clean that up, and the game resembles our 2017 game with them.

Anyway, I'm in a bad mood that we should have won and blew it, but given the strength of opponent, and how last year + the first 3 games of this year went, I don't think a meltdown is warranted, at least not from a perspective of "I told you the Air Raid can't win SEC games!!!" since the offense was more than good enough to get the win and we're moving in the direction that the same people have clamored to move.

I think a lot of people just never liked Leach and are eager to complain about him any time we lose, regardless of how the game actually went.
    The dumbassery of your post is really something. Like Smithsonian dumbassery!
    To legit to quit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    The dumbassery of your post is really something. Like Smithsonian dumbassery!
    To legit to quit
    8/10 Great rebuttal. All points addressed and debunked.

vCash
    This game was never in doubt for LSU today
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    I personally struggle with what I feel is a loss of identity. MSU was a hard nosed football program. I know everyone wants to run the ball, but it?s more than that. We cling to RTGDB because it takes power, strength, and toughness to impose those type yards. I don?t think anyone begrudges the passing yards, but is it worth the entire cost of who we are to chase numbers that while ?record breaking? for us, have been almost devoid of wins? When we lost or won in the past, the game felt like a battle from the beginning to the end, not like- gee, I hope they get super conservative running out the clock so that we can make it look respectable on the score board. I?m sorry. I know I?m just talking out of anger, but this just sucks.
    The "run the ball" identity never meant anything to be and never got us much of anything. I look forward to becoming nationally well-known as a high-octane passing team.

I do think that a lot of fans disagree with me and that's the main reason people just don't like Leach though.

vCash
    8/10 Great rebuttal. All points addressed and debunked.
    When your pulling stats and showing look how we are improving after a loss... I'm sorry man but I can't get on board. I know ball and I'm not naive to know that's some on here know more than me are all saying the same thing... we are not getting better and the air raid won't work here. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    When your pulling stats and showing look how we are improving after a loss... I'm sorry man but I can't get on board. I know ball and I'm not naive to know that's some on here know more than me are all saying the same thing... we are not getting better and the air raid won't work here. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you
    If you reject "pulling stats," how else are you measuring whether we're getting better or worse? Does it mean nothing to you that in SEC games 3-6 we averaged 220 YPG and then in SEC games 7-11 we improved to 400? Yeah, I wish we were better than 3-8 in SEC games, but stats can tell us if we're going in the right direction way better than feelings, eye test, etc.

And stats tell us that we ran more, like people have been wanting. And stats tell us that we didn't have as many 1-yard dumpoffs to the RBs, like people have been wanting.

vCash
    But how many of these stats are coming in garbage time when the game is basically in hand? There?s a huge difference in we are coming back/ imposing our will vs we are being allowed to run our offense to kill the clock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Yet, their coach made a change that helped the team. Our coach won't do that.
    How many rushing yards did we have today and how many run plays did we run today?

Have you not been watching this team the last year and a half?? Our coach totally made adjustments.

vCash
    MSU is averaging 22 pts a game over the last 11 SEC games. Arkansas in the same period is averaging 24 pts a game and just beat the #7 ranked team by 10 pts. They look like they are going in a much better direction than we are right now.

vCash
    But how many of these stats are coming in garbage time when the game is basically in hand? There?s a huge difference in we are coming back/ imposing our will vs we are being allowed to run our offense to kill the clock.
    There was no garbage time in any of the games we've played.

vCash
    When you only lose by 3 how much garbage time is there?

vCash
    After a while- ?we keep coming back? starts to look like ?they?re letting us complete passes because it?s over?. Is it purely coincidence that the only time we can score is at the end of the game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    MSU is averaging 22 pts a game over the last 11 SEC games. Arkansas in the same period is averaging 24 pts a game and just beat the #7 ranked team by 10 pts. They look like they are going in a much better direction than we are right now.
    On the surface yes, but I think they had a huge head start due to not doing a 180 scheme wise & running a more power running type style that is much easier to execute.

I think we pass them by early next season or later this season. I think our style has a much higher ceiling
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    If you reject "pulling stats," how else are you measuring whether we're getting better or worse? Does it mean nothing to you that in SEC games 3-6 we averaged 220 YPG and then in SEC games 7-11 we improved to 400? Yeah, I wish we were better than 3-8 in SEC games, but stats can tell us if we're going in the right direction way better than feelings, eye test, etc.

And stats tell us that we ran more, like people have been wanting. And stats tell us that we didn't have as many 1-yard dumpoffs to the RBs, like people have been wanting.
    This bud how I measure improvement and direction of the program.... pay attention

W=wins Anything else is bull shit. If I pay a coach 5MM a year his ass better win in year 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    When you only lose by 3 how much garbage time is there?
    When you?re down by 2 scores with 6 minutes and they know it?ll take you more than 4 to score. LSU played the entire 4th quarter not to lose. I?m sorry, I really am, but I am with 34 on this one.