Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'd buy season tix to hop on the Gus Bus

vCash
    Hiring Mahlzahn wouldn't bother me at all but I wouldn't be super excited about it. He seems fairly unstable.

vCash
    He was a finalist for our job in 2009.

vCash
    Malzahn had arguably the toughest CFB job in the nation. Living, playing, and recruiting in the same state as Bama? He actually did a fairly admirable job considering he was firmly in the shadow of Saban whose reach goes far beyond the SEC, much less Alabama. We could definitely do worse and I?m not convinced that we haven?t.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    Malzahn had arguably the toughest CFB job in the nation. Living, playing, and recruiting in the same state as Bama? He actually did a fairly admirable job considering he was firmly in the shadow of Saban whose reach goes far beyond the SEC, much less Alabama. We could definitely do worse and I?m not convinced that we haven?t.
    Words of Iron. But would hafta be after year 3 I reckon.

vCash
    I just watched the documentary on Amazon Prime about Mitch Mustain. It had a big thing about Malzahn when he was hired by Ark as the OC. If you go by the documentary, he got railroaded on that job. I don’t remember much about that season, but Arkansas was rolling and the they benched Mustain and it went downhill from there with Nutt and Malzahn.

vCash
    I think Malzahn would do OK... at MSU, but it would be another 180 on offensive scheme, so it's a hard pass for me right now.

We're getting better. Let's see where this goes over the next few years. Need to stick with Leach for now
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Malzahn would just be a very average hire. I think he would do decent here but his lack of QB development would be my biggest concern. We would have more talent overall but I don?t think the results would be another more than average

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Malzahn would just be a very average hire. I think he would do decent here but his lack of QB development would be my biggest concern. We would have more talent overall but I don?t think the results would be another more than average
    Cajun O, Miles, chick Dick, dudn't Gus have one too at Barn? Amazing. Rodney Dangerfields.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think Malzahn would do OK... at MSU, but it would be another 180 on offensive scheme, so it's a hard pass for me right now.

We're getting better. Let's see where this goes over the next few years. Need to stick with Leach for now
    I don't necessarily think it'd be a 180. Gus has shown he can tailor his offense to a QB. They threw the ball a lot more with Stidham than he did with Marshall or Nix. I think Gus could bring excitement to the fan base once again and that's the main thing we're lacking at the moment. I do agree that we'd run it more, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. And......he's coached in this league and recruited in this league. I'd take him right now.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I don't necessarily think it'd be a 180. Gus has shown he can tailor his offense to a QB. They threw the ball a lot more with Stidham than he did with Marshall or Nix. I think Gus could bring excitement to the fan base once again and that's the main thing we're lacking at the moment. I do agree that we'd run it more, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. And......he's coached in this league and recruited in this league. I'd take him right now.
    Words of Iron. I think he is top tier. I can't imagine the hell he took from Barn Cigar Boy.

vCash
    Gus possibly did less with more than anyone not at UGA. Yes, he beat Bama 3 times. But that series is just like MSU/OM - everything goes out the window for that game and either team can win.

I think Gus is a lesser coach than Mullen and we would be staring at a lot more 6-6/7-5 type seasons because of it. He's not a difference maker.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18