Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I think We're Close to Being Really Good

vCash
    New member here, but I've been lurking for quite awhile.

I agree with OP that we are really close to breaking out. All of you complaining about Will not connecting with wide open receivers tells me this offensive scheme works in the SEC. I agree Will needs to be a little more decisive with decision making.

I remember being in the stands watching us get beat by the University of Maine. Talk about being the low point of MSU football. They didn't even have enough players to fully fill the sidelines and you could see the ground tarp easily. That's one thing that stood out to me in that game.

Dan Mullen blew games all the time too. Remember the blowouts to LSU/Alabama in his early years? Remember losing to South Alabama?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post
    New member here, but I've been lurking for quite awhile.

I agree with OP that we are really close to breaking out. All of you complaining about Will not connecting with wide open receivers tells me this offensive scheme works in the SEC. I agree Will needs to be a little more decisive with decision making.

I remember being in the stands watching us get beat by the University of Maine. Talk about being the low point of MSU football. They didn't even have enough players to fully fill the sidelines and you could see the ground tarp easily. That's one thing that stood out to me in that game.

Dan Mullen blew games all the time too. Remember the blowouts to LSU/Alabama in his early years? Remember losing to South Alabama?
    Post more.

I?ll give the Leach haters this: none of us grew up playing in this offense and it goes against the DNA of the school. For those reasons, until it clearly works, you?re going to have a vocal group that fights against it. Same as when Norman Dale took over Hickory and implemented the 4 pass before shoot concept.

Everyone here wants to win. It?s just that this offense is so foreign to anything any of us have ever been acquainted with, most just don?t know how to look at it or what the path to it taking off is.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Post more.

I?ll give the Leach haters this: none of us grew up playing in this offense and it goes against the DNA of the school. For those reasons, until it clearly works, you?re going to have a vocal group that fights against it. Same as when Norman Dale took over Hickory and implemented the 4 pass before shoot concept.

Everyone here wants to win. It?s just that this offense is so foreign to anything any of us have ever been acquainted with, most just don?t know how to look at it or what the path to it taking off is.
    We tried smash mouth football with Dan Mullen. Sure we could run the ball really well, but when it came down to it we lost by 5 to Bama (although we got shorted that game) lost to Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl (more like blown out) then lost to Georgia Tech.

The 2018 team under Dan would have been interesting though.

Point is MSU isn't going to win games trying to copy what Alabama does. We'll never recruit the players to outplay Bama on a regular basis.

The Air Raid works when executed properly. We're still working on the execution, but I can see a drastic difference between this year and last year.

Our defense scheme and offense scheme is completely different than what most teams we play will ever see.

Give Leach time and this young team a chance. With the extra year of eligibility these players have we could be hell on wheels in 3 years.

vCash
    I know that's not popular, but thus far we've seen drastic offensive improvement since last year & there are still wide open plays we're not making.

- Believe our QB limits us but he's getting better. Gotta be willing to slang it earlier in the game.

- Special teams surely learns all the rules here soon.

- 1st year FG kicker cost us at least a tie

- Every offensive stat has improved by almost 30% since last season thus far.

I'm frustrated but, minus seeing the future QB on the field (Dak), this season reminds me an awful lot of 2013. Again, won't be as good as 2014 next year because we haven't found our QB yet, but we're progressing quickly on the stat sheet.

It's not near as bad as you guys are making it. I think we beat A&M next week
    What the hell are you watching? We are not close to anything because our talent level sucks.

vCash
    We tried smash mouth football with Dan Mullen. Sure we could run the ball really well, but when it came down to it we lost by 5 to Bama (although we got shorted that game) lost to Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl (more like blown out) then lost to Georgia Tech.

The 2018 team under Dan would have been interesting though.

Point is MSU isn't going to win games trying to copy what Alabama does. We'll never recruit the players to outplay Bama on a regular basis.

The Air Raid works when executed properly. We're still working on the execution, but I can see a drastic difference between this year and last year.

Our defense scheme and offense scheme is completely different than what most teams we play will ever see.

Give Leach time and this young team a chance. With the extra year of eligibility these players have we could be hell on wheels in 3 years.
    Agree. Arkansas is about to find out how limiting that style is.

You progress fast & win games, but you'll never get over the hump because it requires better players to win.

vCash
    Agree. Arkansas is about to find out how limiting that style is.

You progress fast & win games, but you'll never get over the hump because it requires better players to win.
    Maybe they are running the scheme that utilizes the talent they currently have. And they will beat the snot out of us with it. Ironic eh?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Maybe they are running the scheme that utilizes the talent they currently have. And they will beat the snot out of us with it. Ironic eh?!
    Hard to master a scheme when you're constantly changing it

vCash
    Hard to master a scheme when you're constantly changing it
    Wait what?

So do you pull your balls to one side of the fence when you are straddling it or do you just put one on each side of the fence?

You are constantly wanting CML to change his scheme yet you say this? Not to mention wanting to change the QB…..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    We had more rushing yards today than LSU believe it or not.

We have a rushing game it just isn't going to show up as a rush on the stats. If we dink and dunk at 5 yards a play how's it different than rushing for 5?

The point of the Air Raid is to get the ball quickly to your players in space. The routes they run are like second nature to them giving you a slight edge. So what if you have a fast defensive players, we're recruiting players that are just as fast.

Give it time to work. I believe Leach is here for the long haul (unlike another coach we know well) and he wants to compete in the SEC. Ya'll should really go read his book.

All this crap about him not appearing to give a crap is total BS. His book explains alot of his philosophies regarding football. He says you can't succeed without playing physical football. Isn't that what we want from an MSU team?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Wait what?

So do you pull your balls to one side of the fence when you are straddling it or do you just put one on each side of the fence?

You are constantly wanting CML to change his scheme yet you say this? Not to mention wanting to change the QB…..
    I didn't realize I've been calling for a scheme change. Where did you see that?

vCash
    You may not call it a scheme change, but you want to change everything including the QB.

vCash
    Wait what?

Lol..

vCash
    We had more rushing yards today than LSU believe it or not.

We have a rushing game it just isn't going to show up as a rush on the stats. If we dink and dunk at 5 yards a play how's it different than rushing for 5?

The point of the Air Raid is to get the ball quickly to your players in space. The routes they run are like second nature to them giving you a slight edge. So what if you have a fast defensive players, we're recruiting players that are just as fast.

Give it time to work. I believe Leach is here for the long haul (unlike another coach we know well) and he wants to compete in the SEC. Ya'll should really go read his book.

All this crap about him not appearing to give a crap is total BS. His book explains alot of his philosophies regarding football. He says you can't succeed without playing physical football. Isn't that what we want from an MSU team?
    Running vs dinking causes the LB's to come up and opens passing lanes. It can also make them change coverages. As you can see we March down the field dinking until the red zone where dinking won't work unless an assignment is missed Ala Marks Td pass.

vCash
    you were complaining about splits not long ago.
    e

You have referenced this twice in 24hrs. You don't know what you are talking about. It was reported State tightened the splits before the Memphis game and today.

vCash
    I didn't realize I've been calling for a scheme change. Where did you see that?

[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1366411

We could use some adjustments in the red zone to become a more power running team....[/QUOTE]

vCash
    Post more.

Yep. We been a power team for how many years now and what have won(and we may never win no matter what we do). I'm still good to go for something new. I said I would give Leach at least 3 years when we hired him because 1) that's how long it always seems to take him to get it going, 2) the first year had really no implementation because of Covid and put him behind the 8 ball, 3) if we fire leach after a total overhaul of our offense and do not give him enough time, forget our next coach being a proven winner(no proven coach will touch us) 4) this i more of hope but, it seems like yesterday we tried to run the ball a little more so maybe he trying to adapt a little ( our backs average over 4.6 a carry, Dillon over 6). 5) while I think Will is doing ok, I think he's holding this offense back some and Leach has no other option right now. Now, Will may need more time in the system and it worries me that a transfer may have a learning curve, too. I'm hoping we have one on the bench that's learning the system now to push Will or over take him if he's better.

Now, if it's the same ole same ole after 3 years to get it going and recruiting looks ho hum, his seat will be blue hot with me too. I hope he gets it going because passing the ball is the only way I see us trying to knock off blue bloods.
    Last edited by Bdawg; 09-26-2021 at 09:12 AM.

vCash
    You may not call it a scheme change, but you want to change everything including the QB.
    Changing the QB is needed. Will has shown that reading defenses correctly can result in yardage. He's also proven that when you don't have the arm strength, you eliminate 1/3 of your reads because you can't make the throw downfield. Not trying to hate on Will, but he just doesn't have the arm to fully implement this system. You've got to be able to stretch the field for it to work, and he can't do that consistently. Hit the transfer portal for a QB and this offense improves quickly. Also have to find one with an arm that can/will learn the system.