Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious question: Who did Cohen get advice from for the two football hires??

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Things changed for the better when outsiders came in?..Foglesong and Byrne.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Things changed for the better when outsiders came in?..Foglesong and Byrne.
    We older Dawgs also remember Dr. Zacharis; he was outstanding!!

vCash
    If we fire CML and can rid ourselves of Cohen, I?d say that?s a win, but it needs to happen before CML pulls a Polk 2.0. As it stands, we have a good program, good facilities, pay really good money, have a good bowl streak, and the best fans(minus a few) in college football. Starkville is up and coming. I think it may be better to pull the plug before he ruins us and somehow the media spins it that we ruined him before he retires.

vCash
    Hiring outsiders is great and all but as soon as they get in the building you'd better start working on a new list of future candidates to replace them. It's a stepping stone job for outsiders, which means short stints.

vCash
    CML is an outsider. JoMo was an outsider. CDM outsider. Croom. JWS. All outsiders. We haven?t had a MSU HC with MSU ties that I can ever remember. I don?t remember the Felker days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    CML is an outsider. JoMo was an outsider. CDM outsider. Croom. JWS. All outsiders. We haven?t had a MSU HC with MSU ties that I can ever remember. I don?t remember the Felker days.
    I was referring to AD's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    The problem is circular, because Keenum hires the next AD and so on and so forth. Our entire campus is so full of hiring our own alumni that it stinks to high heaven. It?s like CEO?s that hire ?yes? men to never disagree with them.
    Is that like cousins in Arkansas???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Okla and Texas coming into the conference would be a reason to KEEP LEACH. I'm willing to bet that he would be competitive with both those teams. Coached OU, and went head to head and eventually beat UT.

And if Bama rotated off of our schedule, and we were competitive with those other teams, we can close the gap between us and the elite programs.
    Are you serious? Optimism springs eternal in Starkvegas. If reputations won football games we would surely be undefeated this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I was referring to AD's.
    I think Administration jobs are more home cooking, but sometimes outsiders are worse than in house candidates. The basketball player at OM has shown himself to a vast improvement over tricycle riding Bjork or whatever his name was that?s at A&M now.

vCash
    His wife- she calls the rest of the shots- why not this one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by memsu06 View Post
    This is a young team and in 3 years we'll be loaded with Seniors.

Give Mike Leach a chance.
    Uhm....why?! I don't agree with firing, based on optics alone. But don't tell me "to give him a chance". he's got that now...and he is messing the bed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TStationDawg View Post
    Uhm....why?! I don't agree with firing, based on optics alone. But don't tell me "to give him a chance". he's got that now...and he is messing the bed.
    Eh he did bring us our first NC. If he isn't the AD at that point in time that quite possibly doesn't ever happen or at least not as quickly as it did.

I am fine with him as AD, I do wish he would surround himself with some better football minds when it comes time to hire again but none of us truly know who all was involved in the hiring of Jomo and Leach.

Obviously the buck stops with Cohen but I assure you there were plenty of people involved. Jomo on paper wasn't a terrible hire and he seemed to follow the framework that brought us Mullen. A young up and coming offensive mind that many thought to be ahead of the game. Turns out not every good OC makes a good HC.

Football hires are a crap shoot most of the time anyway. People dogged Arkansas for their coaching search and hire and they quite possibly got the best out of the bunch. Can you imagine the uproar on this message board had Cohen hired Sam Pittman after JOMO? Anyone on here saying they would have been thrilled with that hire must not remember all the nonsense that was talked on here about how bad that hire was for Arkansas.

The only guarantee in CFB is 80 miles down the road in Tuscaloosa. Even the Dabo shine is fading a bit.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Y?all do realize its well documented that Cohen was in the interview for Mullen and told Bryne that he was the guy right?

Moorehead was viewed as an excellent hire by everyone across the country but it didn?t work out. He didn?t have the focus and drive it takes to succeed in the SEC.

Leach the storyline is still out on and only time will tell.

The hires Cohen has made have been decent/good hires at the time.

Canny let success get to his head and that was his end doing. He wasn?t a bad coach at all.

McCray hire you will have a better picture on in about March if it was a bad hire or not. I have a feeling hiring women?s basketball coaches in the SEC is about like hiring football coaches in the SEC. A lot of people are willing to stay put because of the strength of the conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    💯 Until we bring in new blood from outside MSU, nothing will change. But the real problem is our Cigar Boys who would rather control everything than so what's best for the University.
    The "Cigar boys" have more control now than they have in the last 50 years. It's taking a huge toll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    The "Cigar boys" have more control now than they have in the last 50 years. It's taking a huge toll.
    Huh? The past 50 years MSU has been extremely successful across all sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Huh? The past 50 years MSU has been extremely successful across all sports.
    That's because the "cigar boys" weren't as involved....they're back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Y?all do realize its well documented that Cohen was in the interview for Mullen and told Bryne that he was the guy right?

Moorehead was viewed as an excellent hire by everyone across the country but it didn?t work out. He didn?t have the focus and drive it takes to succeed in the SEC.

Leach the storyline is still out on and only time will tell.

The hires Cohen has made have been decent/good hires at the time.

Canny let success get to his head and that was his end doing. He wasn?t a bad coach at all.

McCray hire you will have a better picture on in about March if it was a bad hire or not. I have a feeling hiring women?s basketball coaches in the SEC is about like hiring football coaches in the SEC. A lot of people are willing to stay put because of the strength of the conference.
    Greg Byrne did not hire Mullen on Cohen?s thumbs up. This is laughable!

Did he also tell Byrne that Croom needed to go? Byrne could run circles around Cohen backwards.