Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: For those looking to the portal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Is it a chicken or egg situation?

With a more mobile QB, with a stronger arm, wouldn't the defense be forced to play us differently, thus giving us better run looks?

Seems to me that as we stretch the field more, better run looks will be available

We won’t get any better run looks than what we are getting right now. As Bucky noted against La Tech- we were getting a Nose and two 9 techs. That’s a run look all day. Throwing against that front is stupid unless it’s 3rd and 15. We can’t possibly get any better run looks than we are getting right now.

A stronger arm is gonna do what exactly? The defense is dropping 8 players in coverage. We are playing 5 against 8. Until we force defenses to commit more defenders to the box or closer to the LOS- it doesn’t matter who plays QB for us
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We won’t get any better run looks than what we are getting right now. As Bucky noted against La Tech- we were getting a Nose and two 9 techs. That’s a run look all day. Throwing against that front is stupid unless it’s 3rd and 15. We can’t possibly get any better run looks than we are getting right now.

A stronger arm is gonna do what exactly? The defense is dropping 8 players in coverage. We are playing 5 against 8. Until we force defenses to commit more defenders to the box or closer to the LOS- it doesn’t matter who plays QB for us
    I think you can close this thread up. Y'all may not like the answer, but this is the answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I think you can close this thread up. Y'all may not like the answer, but this is the answer.
    It's like a basketball game, defense is full court pressing with 3 or 4 players and we are throwing in to one guy who has to get the ball across the half court line. Not likely, all I would say to The Pirate is........SEC SEC SEC SEC. Totally different animal than the soft Big12 and Pac12.

vCash

Well... that's not encouraging.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    It's like a basketball game, defense is full court pressing with 3 or 4 players and we are throwing in to one guy who has to get the ball across the half court line. Not likely, all I would say to The Pirate is........SEC SEC SEC SEC. Totally different animal than the soft Big12 and Pac12.
    We have performed poorly compared to common opponents vs 3 of our last 4 opponents. None of them were P5, much less sec

vCash
    We can say run more, but we only avg 2.72 per rush. We are terrible in every facet of offensive football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We can say run more, but we only avg 2.72 per rush. We are terrible in every facet of offensive football
    That is scheme. We are running some terrible run concepts right now that are very easy to fix. We also have several talented RB's that could really thrive in a run game where we only face 5 in the box, I think our OL would look better as well.

I just don't know if he is willing to adapt. I want to think someone as smart as Leach will adapt his offense to the defense he is seeing and especially incorporate running plays that can take advantage of the looks we are seeing.

Mullen changed his offense to Russell's skill set, even thought it wasn't in the best interest of his overall offensive success. He did adapt. Now, he went back to what worked once Dak was ready, but I always thought Dan did the right thing by changing the offense to account for Russell's skill set. Leach has to adjust his offense to account for the 3-8 defense. He simply has not done that yet. I think we have the talent to do that, the question is will we.

vCash
    It's pretty obvious why.

vCash
    That is scheme. We are running some terrible run concepts right now that are very easy to fix. We also have several talented RB's that could really thrive in a run game where we only face 5 in the box, I think our OL would look better as well.

I just don't know if he is willing to adapt. I want to think someone as smart as Leach will adapt his offense to the defense he is seeing and especially incorporate running plays that can take advantage of the looks we are seeing.

Mullen changed his offense to Russell's skill set, even thought it wasn't in the best interest of his overall offensive success. He did adapt. Now, he went back to what worked once Dak was ready, but I always thought Dan did the right thing by changing the offense to account for Russell's skill set. Leach has to adjust his offense to account for the 3-8 defense. He simply has not done that yet. I think we have the talent to do that, the question is will we.
    It would be great if leach would adapt, but he won't. Our only chance to improve this offense is find a true difference maker at qb and speed the offense up

vCash
    It would be great if leach would adapt, but he won't. Our only chance to improve this offense is find a true difference maker at qb and speed the offense up
    A difference maker at QB won't make a difference without a run game. I guess its possible we would beat teams like Memphis, but without a run game our ceiling is 7-8 wins, and looking at the schedule next year, i think its a ceiling of 6 wins.

vCash
    A difference maker at QB won't make a difference without a run game. I guess its possible we would beat teams like Memphis, but without a run game our ceiling is 7-8 wins, and looking at the schedule next year, i think its a ceiling of 6 wins.
    So if dak and Rogers were running this offense, no difference in performance and wins? You really believe that?

ETA... now this offense would still be inferior to Mullen's, but a better qb absolutely makes a difference. How big? I don't know

vCash
    Actually if you take out the sacks(which should never be included in rushing stats), we are averaging 4.4 a carry. Point is taken though that the run game needs to do more and we should be averaging more yards per carry anyway with defenses playing soft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Actually if you take out the sacks(which should never be included in rushing stats), we are averaging 4.4 a carry. Point is taken though that the run game needs to do more and we should be averaging more yards per carry anyway with defenses playing soft.
    Good call.

Marks 3.77 per
    Johnson 5.27 per

vCash
    And Johnson ran real well Saturday until he got dinged up. He was successful hitting the edge.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Good call.

Marks 3.77 per
    Johnson 5.27 per
    I'm not sure it's good, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    And Johnson ran real well Saturday until he got dinged up. He was successful hitting the edge.
    Yeah Johnson, looked good and ran hard, he's tough and really gutted it out saturday cause he was hurting. Just wish we'd let him and marks run a little more, they're both really good backs.

vCash
    Yeah Johnson, looked good and ran hard, he's tough and really gutted it out saturday cause he was hurting. Just wish we'd let him and marks run a little more, they're both really good backs.
    Especially in the 3rd quarter after interception and we were up 17-7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We should be getting a QB, of Sawyer's talent level, ready quicker. There's no way he's the 4th most talented QB on the roster &, if he's not getting reps, that a huge problem
    Maybe your evaluation was just off

vCash

The problem is not his arm strength. The problem is we are not tagging any deep shots till we have to and making Will throw it vs 8 guys dropping is not easy. Will missed on 3 or 4 passes but he is also the biggest reason we have done as well as we have.

vCash
    We won?t get any better run looks than what we are getting right now. As Bucky noted against La Tech- we were getting a Nose and two 9 techs. That?s a run look all day. Throwing against that front is stupid unless it?s 3rd and 15. We can?t possibly get any better run looks than we are getting right now.

A stronger arm is gonna do what exactly? The defense is dropping 8 players in coverage. We are playing 5 against 8. Until we force defenses to commit more defenders to the box or closer to the LOS- it doesn?t matter who plays QB for us
    Thank you for spelling this out for people.