Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For those looking to the portal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    This has been said several times before, and yes Bucky did call this on being Wills team for this year and next for sure. Sawyer is all about baseball because he thinks he will be drafted earlier meaning possibly sophomore year with baseball. He would have to wait 4 years on football which he is not even a starter. He is very behind the curve with his passing reads in this offense.

Sawyer has a huge arm and lots of talent but much like Costello last year this offense requires more than just arm talent and the ability to throw a ball deep. Costello proved that last year.

Does Will need to air it out deeper downfield? YES ABSOLUTELY, did Costello and Leachs interaction last year with all the interceptions burn in his memory? What do you think? A grad transfer senior QB is brought in for 1 football year then in game 1 sets an all time passing record, then gets benched 3 games later for a true freshman QB? you don?t think that is in the back of Wills mind?

Not to mention all of the loud fans that are being so hardheaded about putting Sawyer in because he was good in High School are screaming their heads off. WILL ROGERS IS THE BEST WE HAVE GET BEHIND THE YOUND MAN AND EASE OFF. He needs to throw deep every now and then just to keep those safeties honest. Hopefully that happens but thinking Sawyer is taking over barring several injuries shows just how out of touch you are with this football team.

Sawyer is a strong armed QB who could be exceptional only problem is HE IS NOT READY and is buried in the depth chart.

Sorry for the long rant but enough is enough, which of your hands filled up faster? Most of you won?t get that but it is an old saying about wanting something in one hand versus the other.
    We should be getting a QB, of Sawyer's talent level, ready quicker. There's no way he's the 4th most talented QB on the roster &, if he's not getting reps, that a huge problem
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We should be getting a QB, of Sawyer's talent level, ready quicker. There's no way he's the 4th most talented QB on the roster &, if he's not getting reps, that a huge problem
    So with the NCAA regulating practices per week and how long those practices can be, how do you see him getting reps without letting your current starter get reps. That is a recipe for disaster, also I have heard that the best thing Sawyer could do would be to sit down 1 on 1 and go over tape to learn what he is seeing and how to diagnose it. The coach I talked to says that the decision should take 2-3.5 seconds at most to see what the defense is giving you. Sawyer was clocked at best at 5 seconds during film sessions with a timer.

Yes reps would be very beneficial for him but at our teams detriment. So either A) give reps to a sawyer and focus on his growth therefore completely forfeiting this year or B) contour with current QB and do side field work with Sawyer. I will let you guess what is the decision, hence why he is behind. Missing those practices was his own fault and could have bridged his gap but nothing can be done about that now.

vCash
    You see no way that his talent is 4th strong? I personally know a guy that was, this is baseball mind you, but still relevant, a projected round 1 pitching talent. He threw close to 97 consistently at 18 years old. He had a tremendous arm and tall as well at 6’4. His problem was he had no idea where it was going. Then there was myself just a small 6’1 kid that on my best day could hit 88. I stayed ahead of him on our pitching rotation simply because I could hit my spots. Now we were the same age and I never played pro ball but he did. He got drafted in the 2nd round but yet he never took my spot until my rotator cuff split in half my senior year. I was never going to be in pro ball I knew it and everyone else knew it, but our team needed a consistent strike thrower hence why I never relinquished my role until health intervened.

My story and Will Rogers are similar to the fact that Someone had way more arm talent but couldn’t do what the team needed. Much like Sawyer and reading defenses or even Costello and reading defenses. He will eventually get there but not right now.

vCash
    Gun ... you're a good poster and it's apparent that you have a decent working knowledge of football... I just don't understand how you can hammer Will while propping up Leach . None of us know for sure but I suspect Will is just trying to do what his coach is telling him to do... yes there are more talented QB's out there but Leach has only had two years to procure ... try to appreciate what we have now because we could have been much less fortunate at that position... I don't think most of us are satisfied- it's just human nature but I remember past QB's that we have had to play and Will is good enough to succeed with an offense that is designed to succeed.... and a lot of us don't think this offense is capable of success in this conference
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    If Leach won't incorporate a run game into the Air Raid - all of this wringing of hands and hoping for a transfer is just message board fodder.

Guys, its the fall that is gonna kill us. Y'all are sitting around worrying about whether we are gonna drown.

Will is not the problem. He just isn't the problem. The problems we are having is scheme related. I don't really like bashing our QB for an offensive scheme's shortcomings, but it seems like everyone doesn't want to admit a bigger failure.

We have watched this movie before guys, Its called the 2012 season where we were trying to run the Dak offense with 6'5" 210 lb Tyler Russell. Guess what? It didn't work and it wasn't Tyler's fault. We were running the wrong offense for him. Mullen didn't change his offense, he brought in Dak. Here, there is no magical QB that can make this offense work, we have to adjust the offense just like every coach on the air raid coaching tree has done.

vCash
    Tough task trying to get a high schooler ready to play who didn't show up until summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    If Leach won't incorporate a run game into the Air Raid - all of this wringing of hands and hoping for a transfer is just message board fodder.

Guys, its the fall that is gonna kill us. Y'all are sitting around worrying about whether we are gonna drown.

Will is not the problem. He just isn't the problem. The problems we are having is scheme related. I don't really like bashing our QB for an offensive scheme's shortcomings, but it seems like everyone doesn't want to admit a bigger failure.

We have watched this movie before guys, Its called the 2012 season where we were trying to run the Dak offense with 6'5" 210 lb Tyler Russell. Guess what? It didn't work and it wasn't Tyler's fault. We were running the wrong offense for him. Mullen didn't change his offense, he brought in Dak. Here, there is no magical QB that can make this offense work, we have to adjust the offense just like every coach on the air raid coaching tree has done.
    In this offense the qb is gonna throw it like every play. We won't survive with an ok qb... we need a difference maker if this offense has any chance. If we had a qb with an electric arm, all-the-sudden, those windows have to tighten up bc he can get the ball there. We aren't gonna run ourselves out of facing a drop 8 (even though we should), so we gonna have to have an arm that make every throw even in tight windows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    In this offense the qb is gonna throw it like every play. We won't survive with an ok qb... we need a difference maker if this offense has any chance. If we had a qb with an electric arm, all-the-sudden, those windows have to tighten up bc he can get the ball there. We aren't gonna run ourselves out of facing a drop 8 (even though we should), so we gonna have to have an arm that make every throw even in tight windows.
    I think you would agree that Matt Corral has a big time arm and is a NFL talent?

Go back and watch the Arkansas game that the bears played last year. Arkansas hit him with the 3-8 defense and he could not get balls through the tight windows against an SEC defense. He just couldn't do it. The coaches admitted that they simply failed to run the ball against the 3-8 and forced him into a bad spot. That is Matt Corral. If Matt Corral can't beat a 3-8 defense, who do you think can beat it without a running game.

Kiffin and company made a decision to run the ball more, and that is why they led the league in rushing last year, because teams dared them to run - and Lebby said ok. They ran the ball for 372 yards against Tulane. 372 yards while having an NFL draft pick at QB.

Guys, this isn't hard. Defensive coaches have figured out how to slow down the pure air raid offense. Can we still move the ball? Sure. Can we do it consistently? So far, we can't and that is not a QB problem, that is the scheme. The scheme that the Washington coaches mocked openly because its the same scheme Leach has been running for 20 years.

vCash
    Why do you think this?

You're already saying we missed on Robertson?
    It's not what I think it's what's going on.
    Not every kid comes in and is ready to do what it takes to get ready or improve. Sometimes their heart just is in another sport which makes it hard to recruit dual sport guys.

vCash
    Gun. You can do everything in your coaching ability to get a kid ready but ultimately the kid has to buy in and do those things that are necessary to be great. Regardless of talent ability. Sometimes the most talented players aren't t he hardest workers. It just is what it is.
    Not saying sawyers not a hard worker but certain things must be done to be successful.

vCash
    I think you would agree that Matt Corral has a big time arm and is a NFL talent?

Go back and watch the Arkansas game that the bears played last year. Arkansas hit him with the 3-8 defense and he could not get balls through the tight windows against an SEC defense. He just couldn't do it. The coaches admitted that they simply failed to run the ball against the 3-8 and forced him into a bad spot. That is Matt Corral. If Matt Corral can't beat a 3-8 defense, who do you think can beat it without a running game.

Kiffin and company made a decision to run the ball more, and that is why they led the league in rushing last year, because teams dared them to run - and Lebby said ok. They ran the ball for 372 yards against Tulane. 372 yards while having an NFL draft pick at QB.

Guys, this isn't hard. Defensive coaches have figured out how to slow down the pure air raid offense. Can we still move the ball? Sure. Can we do it consistently? So far, we can't and that is not a QB problem, that is the scheme. The scheme that the Washington coaches mocked openly because its the same scheme Leach has been running for 20 years.
    photo upload

They ran a ton before, during, and after the ark game. I think you're reading too much into an awful game.

vCash
    [url=https://postimg.cc/8jqy2vB3]They ran a ton before, during, and after the ark game. I think you're reading too much into an awful game.
    Yeah - they run the ball a lot, with an NFL QB. That is the whole point. You can't simply fix an offense that doesn't run the ball in the SEC with a "better" QB. Without a running game, SEC defenses will make the air raid less than effective. IT can still work, but it is simply not consistently effective and no great QB is going to change that, no matter what anyone thinks. Not against good defenses.

vCash
    Yeah - they run the ball a lot, with an NFL QB. That is the whole point. You can't simply fix an offense that doesn't run the ball in the SEC with a "better" QB. Without a running game, SEC defenses will make the air raid less than effective. IT can still work, but it is simply not consistently effective and no great QB is going to change that, no matter what anyone thinks. Not against good defenses.
    It isn't working well vs non-sec defenses

vCash
    This all day. 55-60 passes with 15 runs is never going to work in the SEC- no matter who the QB is
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    It isn't working well vs non-sec defenses
    That should really tell you something
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    This all day. 55-60 passes with 15 runs is never going to work in the SEC- no matter who the QB is
    Can’t give rep but this all day.

vCash
    Just like with C34, can’t give rep but this is SPOT ON

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Is it a chicken or egg situation?

With a more mobile QB, with a stronger arm, wouldn't the defense be forced to play us differently, thus giving us better run looks?

Seems to me that as we stretch the field more, better run looks will be available

vCash
    Is it a chicken or egg situation?

With a more mobile QB, with a stronger arm, wouldn't the defense be forced to play us differently, thus giving us better run looks?

Seems to me that as we stretch the field more, better run looks will be available
    Yeah, but that isn?t what this offense does.

Go back and watch any WSU or TT film, that?s not what the offense does. He looks for match ups and dunks and dunks his way down the field and occasionally hits you for a big play.

Big plays usually happen when someone misses a tackle or a team blitzes Leach and you go over the top (LSU last year)

Problem is that teams are running more and more 3-8. No matter what anyone says, I?ve watched the PAC -12 tape, he has not faced the 3-8 this consistently in his career. He has to make an adjustment. In the coaching game of chess, it?s his move.

vCash
    Yeah, but that isn?t what this offense does.

Go back and watch any WSU or TT film, that?s not what the offense does. He looks for match ups and dunks and dunks his way down the field and occasionally hits you for a big play.

Big plays usually happen when someone misses a tackle or a team blitzes Leach and you go over the top (LSU last year)

Problem is that teams are running more and more 3-8. No matter what anyone says, I?ve watched the PAC -12 tape, he has not faced the 3-8 this consistently in his career. He has to make an adjustment. In the coaching game of chess, it?s his move.
    So many of these plays are either over the top or created by Minshew's mobility