Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For those looking to the portal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    We need competition. That's why Abraham leaving hurt. Will was probably the QB anyway, but competition brings out the best in everyone. And we better hope Sawyer, Greek, Locke, or a transfer QB can compete next year.
    Competition is great but don't expect a savior

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Yall are gonna just have to complain and cry for the next 3 years bc 2 is the guy as long as Leach is here.
    I believe you are correct. Wait till next year and see. Will be a two year starter after this year. Gonna take a serious recruit to bump him and I don't see it happening. Will has weaknesses but it ain't all on his shoulders.

vCash
    Leach has said he likes to always bring in a veteran qb in the portal. I would be more surprised if he doesn't do this than if he does. And that goes for any year.

vCash
    We need competition. That's why Abraham leaving hurt. Will was probably the QB anyway, but competition brings out the best in everyone. And we better hope Sawyer, Greek, Locke, or a transfer QB can compete next year.
    The QB situation for 2022 doesn?t look much different than where we are today?.either Will who hasn?t improved or a freshman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggie_Style View Post
    The QB situation for 2022 doesn?t look much different than where we are today?.either Will who hasn?t improved or a freshman
    Why would will not improve?

vCash
    Exactly. I think Will may respond better to pressure and I think he needs someone to push him. That person was Abraham. We need to find someone like that next year. I bet we end up with another G5 QB that played pretty well and wants a chance at the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Robertson loved baseball more than he loves football so his commitment to football is not 100%. That's all im gonna say about that. Greek was never signed to be the guy was always going to be a 2 QB. We missed it happens unfortunately we missed twice now we have to now go get some transfers.
    Before you all flame away and say I'm wrong... our back up is a 5'9 walk on from USA, not one of the freshman and had JA not gotten hurt they would have been 4th.
    It's not ideal
    I don't know Sawyer Robertson personally but it could be that his lack of focus is because he knows he's not playing this year. We'll find out in the coming years. So, I don't doubt what you are saying but I also think it's way too soon to say we missed on him. Personally my expectation was for Will start until 2023 and then Sawyer to take over after that with a redshirt year thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    When since did a qb get 12 games to prove his worth? Guess the patriots are glad Mac Jones got more than that. Dang he should be a rs freshman sitting on the bench w every Tom dick and Harry on here saying he should be getting his shot Bc the present qb sucks...
    ETA and no I'm not comparing him to Mac Jones and he won't ever play in the nfl I get that. But still 12 games??
    Exactly. There's zero reason to put a definitive "by game 12 you better be performing or else..." I think with all players not just QB's you have to judge them from year to year really rather than a certain number of starts. There is a LOT of development that goes on in the offseason for all football players- physically and also football wise from a player standpoint. To me, by your junior year a typical football player should be mature physically and also have enough game experience as a player to draw from to be effective as a player. All of that adds up. And it's why more experienced college football teams tend to do well. Sure there are unicorns like Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons and the majority of Alabama's roster. Kickers and punters may be an exception too but they're different animals anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    You have to admit Bucky called this
    In no way am I saying Buck is right or wrong. What I am saying and what some have missed is that we are going to go after a scholarship transfer not walk ons like JA or our USA backup. Take that for what it's worth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    When since did a qb get 12 games to prove his worth? Guess the patriots are glad Mac Jones got more than that. Dang he should be a rs freshman sitting on the bench w every Tom dick and Harry on here saying he should be getting his shot Bc the present qb sucks...
    ETA and no I'm not comparing him to Mac Jones and he won't ever play in the nfl I get that. But still 12 games??
    I get your point, but the 2 players Mac Jones backed up are starting nfl qbs. Tua's days may be numbered though. Our situation is nothing like that. Will is the best we have at the moment, and he woulda been a walk-on in the above mentioned qb room

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Robertson loved baseball more than he loves football so his commitment to football is not 100%. l
    Why do you think this?

You're already saying we missed on Robertson?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I believe you are correct. Wait till next year and see. Will be a two year starter after this year. Gonna take a serious recruit to bump him and I don't see it happening. Will has weaknesses but it ain't all on his shoulders.
    This ... I don't think any of the pure passers like Dan Marino or Elway could make this thing work... Fran Tarkenton maybe but I'm not convinced ML wants anything less than his type QB
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    At this point, it is not only about competition, but also practicality. Will could go down at any time with an injury. You have to have someone ready to come in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    This ... I don't think any of the pure passers like Dan Marino or Elway could make this thing work... Fran Tarkenton maybe but I'm not convinced ML wants anything less than his type QB
    I agree with you Fish, it's a read and react offense that requires quick throws when a receiver is open. The biggest problem I see is the Sec defenses are much more faster, quicker and aggressive than Big 12 and Pac 12. When receiver isn't open the Qb either has to throw the ball away quickly or be able to scramble and hope one of our receivers can find a seam or open spot in a 8 man zone. Without a running game or deep throw threat the Sec defenses are gonna eat us alive which in the Sec west is just brutal!

vCash
    I'm pretty sure Leach has never replaced a two year starter at QB who has eligibility remaining with someone new. Granted, having immediate transfers available is a relatively new concept, but I think it would take a special talent AND someone with experience in the Air Raid to even have a chance. Even then, I just don't see Will getting replaced before he leaves. Just not the way it goes with Leach.

And this is way out there in the future, but I said a little while back that I think Locke will be the next QB after Will leaves.

vCash
    Why would will not improve?
    Some QBs don't. I don't expect that to be the case with Rodgers, but it happens. QBs usually don't top out early in their second year on campus, but I guess if he's been in a similar system and been getting good coaching, it's possible the normal low hanging fruit isn't there for him.

vCash
    Missing on 2 highly rated QBs makes you wonder if the deficiency is in coaching or recruiting analysis
    What highly rated QB did we get other than Robertson?

vCash
    My thoughts on the transfer are related to if Will gets injured not just competition. If he's injured you're dependent on Robertson, Greek, or Locke without a transfer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Why do you think this?

You're already saying we missed on Robertson?
    This has been said several times before, and yes Bucky did call this on being Wills team for this year and next for sure. Sawyer is all about baseball because he thinks he will be drafted earlier meaning possibly sophomore year with baseball. He would have to wait 4 years on football which he is not even a starter. He is very behind the curve with his passing reads in this offense.

Sawyer has a huge arm and lots of talent but much like Costello last year this offense requires more than just arm talent and the ability to throw a ball deep. Costello proved that last year.

Does Will need to air it out deeper downfield? YES ABSOLUTELY, did Costello and Leachs interaction last year with all the interceptions burn in his memory? What do you think? A grad transfer senior QB is brought in for 1 football year then in game 1 sets an all time passing record, then gets benched 3 games later for a true freshman QB? you don?t think that is in the back of Wills mind?

Not to mention all of the loud fans that are being so hardheaded about putting Sawyer in because he was good in High School are screaming their heads off. WILL ROGERS IS THE BEST WE HAVE GET BEHIND THE YOUND MAN AND EASE OFF. He needs to throw deep every now and then just to keep those safeties honest. Hopefully that happens but thinking Sawyer is taking over barring several injuries shows just how out of touch you are with this football team.

Sawyer is a strong armed QB who could be exceptional only problem is HE IS NOT READY and is buried in the depth chart.

Sorry for the long rant but enough is enough, which of your hands filled up faster? Most of you won?t get that but it is an old saying about wanting something in one hand versus the other.
    Last edited by SilentSteel16; 09-23-2021 at 09:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    This has been said several times before, and yes Bucky did call this on being Wills team for this year and next for sure. Sawyer is all about baseball because he thinks he will be drafted earlier meaning possibly sophomore year with baseball. He would have to wait 4 years on football which he is not even a starter. He is very behind the curve with his passing reads in this offense.

Sawyer has a huge arm and lots of talent but much like Costello last year this offense requires more than just arm talent and the ability to throw a ball deep. Costello proved that last year.

Does Will need to air it out deeper downfield? YES ABSOLUTELY, did Costello and Leachs interaction last year with all the interceptions burn in his memory? What do you think? A grad transfer senior QB is brought in for 1 football year then in game 1 sets an all time passing record, then gets benched 3 games later for a true freshman QB? you don?t think that is in the back of Wills mind?

Not to mention all of the loud fans that are being so hardheaded about putting Sawyer in because he was good in High School are screaming their heads off. WILL ROGERS IS THE BEST WE HAVE GET BEHIND THE YOUND MAN AND EASE OFF. He needs to throw deep every now and then just to keep those safeties honest. Hopefully that happens but thinking Sawyer is taking over barring several injuries shows just how out of touch you are with this football team.

Sawyer is a strong armed QB who could be exceptional only problem is HE IS NOT READY and is buried in the depth chart.

Sorry for the long rant but enough is enough, which of your hands filled up faster? Most of you won?t get that but it is an old saying about wanting something in one hand versus the other.
    Costello didn't have a strong arm. If he did I missed it with all the check downs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Costello didn't have a strong arm. If he did I missed it with all the check downs
    Costello could sling it. To both teams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Might want to go checkout his 2021 NFL draft profile then. He was rated as 5th strongest arm off all draft eligible QBS last year. His downfall, his inability to read the defenses in front of him, almost like he was predetermined on where he was going with the ball.

Those are not my words but words on NFL website of draft profilers for NFL teams. Costello had a very strong arm but simply didn’t know how to defeat a zone, plus our Wideouts didn’t help him by continuing their routes and running into another zone last year. They have done way better this year on stopping their route and sitting there. ThT is why Austin Williams gets all the looks he gets. He sits in the open area of the zone.

Bulldog I have read your commentary for a while. You know football and all this I am saying. You are just being contrary.