Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our QB stats...

vCash

Our QB stats...

are enough to win games. I listened to Matt Wyatt's podcast today and he pointed out that Rogers' stats are spectacular (and they are) and anyone reading the stat lines would have thought that we won the game.

He's right...too a point. This is why I'm not sure Leach's offense will work in the SEC. Most QB's with this type of average have a runninggame that generates average yardage and a host of TD's to go along with it. We don't have that. Our ENTIRE offense is through the air. This means that a QB in this system will need to provide at least 4 or 5 TD's per game, and have a near perfect completion percentage by themselves to guarantee a win. I just don't think that is possible.

361 yards passing per game sounds GREAT...except when you realize it's complemented by 45 yards per game on the ground.

vCash
    Leach has been vocal the last 3 days about the need to stretch the field more

vCash
    Ranks within sec...
    Passer rating: 10 of 13
    QBR: 12 of 15
    Yds/att: 11 of 13

Ranks nationally of defenses faced (total defense)...
    La tech: 130 of 130
    Nc st: 16 of 130
    Memphis: 123 of 130

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ranks within sec...
    Passer rating: 10 of 13
    QBR: 12 of 15
    Yds/att: 11 of 13

Ranks nationally of defenses faced (total defense)...
    La tech: 130 of 130
    Nc st: 16 of 130
    Memphis: 123 of 130

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I hear a lot of praise for Wyatt here; but if he's using words like "spectacular" to describe Rogers' play, Wyatt is a hack. To be fair, "spectacular" shouldn't be used to describe anyone on our offense

vCash
    How is the qbr and passer rating above calculated? Obviously completion percentage, yards, lack of int, and completions don't weigh heavily. I'm guessing explosive plays or TD per attempt weigh heavily?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I hear a lot of praise for Wyatt here; but if he's using words like "spectacular" to describe Rogers' play, Wyatt is a hack. To be fair, "spectacular" shouldn't be used to describe anyone on our offense
    Yeah, there's nothing about our offense that has been "spectacular". Barely anything that's been "good".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    How is the qbr and passer rating above calculated? Obviously completion percentage, yards, lack of int, and completions don't weigh heavily. I'm guessing explosive plays or TD per attempt weigh heavily?
    Passer rating...
    https://captaincalculator.com/sports...ng-calculator/

Qbr...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tota...terback_rating

vCash
    We are 11th in the SEC in total offense
    We are 71st in the Country in Total Offense and we havent played an SEC game yet.

That should tellyou all you need to know. This shit aint gonna get better after playing LSU, A&M, and Bammer in our next 3 games I assure you.
    Last edited by Coach34; 09-21-2021 at 08:30 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I heard Matt say this as well but he's wrong.

Going 10-11 for 70 yards on a drive isn't the same as going 3-6 for 70 yards on a drive.

Going 3-6 drastically lowers the chances of 17 ups and penalties that stall the drive while also showing you can rebound from a mistake.

Same yards, lower completion percentage, yet a much better/repeatable offense
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Got ya. So the divided by factor is pass attempts. That makes sense then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We are 11th in the SEC in total offense
    We are 71st in the Country in Total Offense and we havent played an SEC game yet.

That should tellyou all you need to know. This shit aint gonna get better after playing LSU, A&M, and Bammer in our next 3 games I assure you.
    I agree. Which is why Memphis hurts so much. That was almost a must win to get to 6.

vCash
    Leach has been vocal the last 3 days about the need to stretch the field more
    Just in time for the best secondary we've seen all year

vCash
    I said this in another thread, so please excuse if you?ve already seen it, but I think it applies here, too.
    I have heard CML?s offense described as a death by papercuts. Annoys DCs with underneath stuff hoping they move to stop it, making them vulnerable in the middle and up top. That coach that OM had that?s now at UNC runs a variation of AirRaid and if you saw any of his games at OM, they stacked up stats from 20-20, but couldn?t score when the field compressed in the red zone. If Tamu didn?t hit for a long pass, they couldn?t score. The stats can be deceiving. Much like OM in a similar system, our stats look great on paper, but don?t really benefit us where it counts. I hate to say it, but I just don?t think one dimensional football can work unless everyone is one dimensional and they aren?t.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak Holliday View Post
    I said this in another thread, so please excuse if you?ve already seen it, but I think it applies here, too.
    I have heard CML?s offense described as a death by papercuts. Annoys DCs with underneath stuff hoping they move to stop it, making them vulnerable in the middle and up top. That coach that OM had that?s now at UNC runs a variation of AirRaid and if you saw any of his games at OM, they stacked up stats from 20-20, but couldn?t score when the field compressed in the red zone. If Tamu didn?t hit for a long pass, they couldn?t score. The stats can be deceiving. Much like OM in a similar system, our stats look great on paper, but don?t really benefit us where it counts. I hate to say it, but I just don?t think one dimensional football can work unless everyone is one dimensional and they aren?t.
    Can you link where it's called death by a thousand paper cuts?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    No, sir. I didn?t read it, just heard it described that way by people speaking. I apologize, I didn?t mean to come across as if it were an article.

vCash
    So, I searched it, and it seems to come from Washington State.
    ?Even with the ?death by a thousand paper cuts? machine that is the Air Raid, if a few of those cuts don?t draw blood, it can throw the whole operation off kilter.?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cou...su-cal-defense

vCash
    We eat up a hell of a lot of clock, so us scoring is imperative.

vCash
    Got ya. So the divided by factor is pass attempts. That makes sense then.
    Minshew's PR was ranked around 30 (147.). He was #1 in attempts that year. The low PR is related to the offensive scheme.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Minshew's PR was ranked around 30 (147.). He was #1 in attempts that year. The low PR is related to the offensive scheme.
    Yea that was my thought, that it is largely scheme-dictated due to the attempts.