Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down goes Oak Grove.

vCash

Down goes Oak Grove.

Is this Greenville Christian team the best MAIS ever produced?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Pretty unbelievable. I know they are basically an all star team, but oak grove is supposedly 6A favorite again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think they are the best. However MAIS schools have been underrated for 50 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Yes they.are easily the best MAIS team ever.

vCash
    If you think it's unbelievable you don't know much about that situation. When the public schools were canceling their season last year due to COVID people went out and got the best players from the surrounding area, some as far away as Greenwood. I think out of the 34 players they have 20 are seniors.

They should have dominated Oak Grove, but they are relying on pure talent. They dwarfed the Oak Grove players. It was a good game that could have went either way.

I don't know if that school will be open next year though. Last year I had someone tell me that they emailed the staff asking for volunteers to go an extra few weeks with no paycheck just to try to make ends meet. I then had another person confirm that this week as they are friends with one of the teachers there.

vCash
    Just remember that if Covid hadn?t shut down public school football in the Mississippi Delta last year, THIS Greenville Christian School would not exist. 19 transfers from Greenwood High over 60 miles away, 1 star WR transfer from Yazoo City, over 60 miles away, and 2 transfers from Greenville High. That is 22 of the 35 man roster.

How many public schools bus their students 60 miles one way (120 round trip) for class 5 days a week? I bet the answer is zero.

vCash
    The wringing of hands tickles the shit out of me.

Tennessee. Public vs Private. Regardless.
    Alabama. Public vs Private. Regardless.
    Mississippi. Eeeeehhhh. Not so much.

I tried to tell people in clarksdale 20 years ago they could?ve done the same exact thing GCS did. I?m just dumbfounded it took a pandemic and a school with nothing to lose to finally show everyone the light.

UMS Wright. One of, if not THE, top private schools in the state. They recruit all over the state of Alabama. Tough shit. We still have to play em. In 16 tries we?ve won once.

And we went to the state semifinals 4 years in a row losing to the eventual state champ every time. Why? We didn?t have to see ums in the playoffs.

Life ain?t fair gentlemen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriarsPoint View Post
    The wringing of hands tickles the shit out of me.

Tennessee. Public vs Private. Regardless.
    Alabama. Public vs Private. Regardless.
    Mississippi. Eeeeehhhh. Not so much.

I tried to tell people in clarksdale 20 years ago they could?ve done the same exact thing GCS did. I?m just dumbfounded it took a pandemic and a school with nothing to lose to finally show everyone the light.

UMS Wright. One of, if not THE, top private schools in the state. They recruit all over the state of Alabama. Tough shit. We still have to play em. In 16 tries we?ve won once.

And we went to the state semifinals 4 years in a row losing to the eventual state champ every time. Why? We didn?t have to see ums in the playoffs.

Life ain?t fair gentlemen.
    I didn't see anyone complaining that it wasn't fair, just pointing out what the situation was. It doesn't bother me that they went out and got players, although I'm sure the teams they play in Mais probably don't like it too much.

vCash
    Nice story. Next year, Greenville Christian will be struggling to field an 8 man team let alone a Class 3a team in MAIS. The money people in Washington County send their kids to Washington School for an education. If they have athletics success, fine. If not, they are ready for College. Same for Bayou, Indianola, Pillow, Clarksdale, Magnolia Heights, Manchester, and most other delta private schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Nice story. Next year, Greenville Christian will be struggling to field an 8 man team let alone a Class 3a team in MAIS. The money people in Washington County send their kids to Washington School for an education. If they have athletics success, fine. If not, they are ready for College. Same for Bayou, Indianola, Pillow, Clarksdale, Magnolia Heights, Manchester, and most other delta private schools.
    I've heard Washington has under 20 players on their team this year. Is that true? I remember back in the day and them fielding teams of 50+ players.

vCash
    It's crazy to think probably in the next 15-20 years most of these delta private schools will be closed and all those facilities and buildings just sitting there.

I love watching videos of people exploring abandoned malls and schools and just thinking about all the people that have walked those halls and the memories made there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post
    It's crazy to think probably in the next 15-20 years most of these delta private schools will be closed and all those facilities and buildings just sitting there.

I love watching videos of people exploring abandoned malls and schools and just thinking about all the people that have walked those halls and the memories made there.
    Yep. And it will be just like it was in my great grandfather?s time. If you want to educate em, you?ll have to send em to Memphis, Oxford, or boarding school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboydawg View Post
    Yes they.are easily the best MAIS team ever.
    Because they are essentially a Delta public school all star team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Because they are essentially a Delta public school all star team.
    Welcome to Tennessee and Alabama high school football.

You pussies
    Last edited by FriarsPoint; 09-18-2021 at 02:09 AM.

vCash
    Haha…I’m picturing FriarsPoint posting last night with his old HS football helmet on.

In his defense it was Friday night

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriarsPoint View Post
    Welcome to Tennessee and Alabama high school football.

You pussies
    Georgia public schools have been recruiting like this for decades. In 1990, my school had 6-7 out of district kids from all over Metro Atl who transferred in to play with our All-American QB. Our booster club built our coach a house. In GA, we have public high school head coaches making close to $200k - and thats just their official salary, not booster club or sponsorship perks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post

There's a couple on YouTube that explores old businesses that were abandoned as is and left to cave. They did an old dive bar somewhere in upstate NY that closed like 30 years ago with all the old junk and memorabilia still in it. Another one was a resort hotel that was so old the outdoor swimming pool area had disintegrated. There was an aerial photo of the place from probably the sixties.

vCash
    A "delta all star team" would still historically suck. You could never field the best players in the delta and beat the best 6A team in the state. This is a unique situation. I'm not sure why people are so upset about it either. Who cares?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    The Delta Christian kids seem tough as hell. Fearless. I know it?s an all star team, but they have played some big boys. And they only have 35 players. Surely there are some prospects on there for us

vCash
    Kind of what Heritage Academy in Columbus started doing a few years back. It?s my understanding they are giving scholarships to athletes now.