Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: College Offensive Success is 70%+ About QB Play

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Don’t y’all remember the time Nick threw the game ending Hail Mary into the student section? That’s what you call raw ass talent.
    LMAO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    RAW ARM talent. Dak had to work for everything he has become. His raw arm talent is what kept him from getting recruited by other schools. Your QB assessment skills need some polishing. Pretty raw...
    Dak had plenty of talent. I never really understood why he wasnt recruited more heavily than he was. He is still the best QB I've seen play in HS. It's not like he struggled throwing in HS- he threw for over 6,000 yards in his HS career. He was completing 50 yard Go routes on the reg. At State- he got better with footwork and changed his delivery slightly. Now he is one of the best in the NFL. I compare Dak to Steve McNair. You could look at both of them in college and just wonder- "how in the hell did so many miss seeing this talent?" Blows my mind Jackie and his staff wanted him to be a DB. Almost as bad as us missing on Jerry Rice in our backyard.

Fitz had a cannon- but it was a loose cannon. He just never developed the accuracy or touch needed to make it in the NFL. I think some of that is him moving to QB late with only 1 year of HS at the position. But some people just never develop that and it is what it is. Same with pitchers.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Dak had plenty of talent. I never really understood why he wasnt recruited more heavily than he was. He is still the best QB I've seen play in HS. It's not like he struggled throwing in HS- he threw for over 6,000 yards in his HS career. He was completing 50 yard Go routes on the reg. At State- he got better with footwork and changed his delivery slightly. Now he is one of the best in the NFL. I compare Dak to Steve McNair. You could look at both of them in college and just wonder- "how in the hell did so many miss seeing this talent?" Blows my mind Jackie and his staff wanted him to be a DB. Almost as bad as us missing on Jerry Rice in our backyard.

Fitz had a cannon- but it was a loose cannon. He just never developed the accuracy or touch needed to make it in the NFL. I think some of that is him moving to QB late with only 1 year of HS at the position. But some people just never develop that and it is what it is. Same with pitchers.
    Wasn't Dak on the heavy side when a Jr? Didn't Mullen axe him to get in better shape? If memory serves he did just that and gotta late LSU offer. I've always respected Dak for staying true despite him being a LSU fan growing up.

vCash

I think that's where people kind of differ on what should be considered "raw" talent. "Raw" talent to me is unrefined and just pure athletic ability. Dak is and was an incredible athlete, intense worker, etc. What kept him off the field at State was typical transition from HS to college stuff. But, he had already been learning the game and position before he got here. To me that's not raw. Fitz literally learned to play QB at State. He had never thrown a pass in a football game when he was offered a scholarship by Mullen. He threw less than 100 passes in high school - the fact he was a starting SEC QB as a RS Sophomore is damn near unheard of. As I fanbase, I don't think most ever realized how far that guy had to go to be as good as he was.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think that's where people kind of differ on what should be considered "raw" talent. "Raw" talent to me is unrefined and just pure athletic ability. Dak is and was an incredible athlete, intense worker, etc. What kept him off the field at State was typical transition from HS to college stuff. But, he had already been learning the game and position before he got here. To me that's not raw. Fitz literally learned to play QB at State. He had never thrown a pass in a football game when he was offered a scholarship by Mullen. He threw less than 100 passes in high school - the fact he was a starting SEC QB as a RS Sophomore is damn near unheard of. As I fanbase, I don't think most ever realized how far that guy had to go to be as good as he was.
    Dak and Fitz both had raw arm talent, but unless you're just calling arm strength talent, it's hard to tell who had more raw talent because Dak played a couple of years of QB throwing the ball before getting to MSU, while Nick came to MSU with practically no game experience throwing the ball.

It's hard to say whether Fitz reached his ceiling because of his injury and then changing offense his last year. He didn't appear to get any more accurate his last year, after presumably a lot of practice, but he was having to rehab and learn a new offense at the same time, so that may have stopped him from continuing to get better the way Dak did between 2014 and 2015.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Nick never threw the ball close to Dak. What are you looking at Todd?
    Nick was bigger, faster, more athletic, and a stronger arm. Using your metrics he should have been way better than Dak.
    All that was missing was the accuracy and decision making, which are the two most important attributes of a qb (both of which will could be very good at by the way).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    No. Not close. Pure arm strength isn't the same arm talent.
    But you chose arm strength as one of your 5 metrics on page 2 of this thread. Nick had more arm strength, speed, quickness, and athleticism than Dak. 4 out of 5.

If you want to change it to arm talent that is fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    This is how I feel as well

vCash

I worked with one of Steve's top WR at Alcorn. The guy went on almost every visit with him also. Every coach in the SEC offered him at DB. The thing was, Steve didn't like playing DB but was the best in the state also. He went to Alcorn because they promised him that he wasn't ever going to DB since his older brother was their best QB before him. Every other school was basically, we might give you a shot at QB but you will be a DB.

Also NC State was one of the only QB offers for Philip Rivers. He was offered by almost everyone in the SEC at LB or Safety. Sometimes guys miss evaluations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Nick was bigger, faster, more athletic, and a stronger arm. Using your metrics he should have been way better than Dak.
    All that was missing was the accuracy and decision making, which are the two most important attributes of a qb (both of which will could be very good at by the way).
    This is true.

vCash
    Bump

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tibbons View Post
    Bump
    We've come a long way. We are pretty dang good offensively now, but we weren't at the time of this thread. Hats off to leach, will, and the whole offense for making an unbelievable jump

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Not sure If I believe Nick had a stronger arm than Dak.
    Downvotes_Hype