Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: College Offensive Success is 70%+ About QB Play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tibbons View Post
    It?s comical. I guess most of these posters forgot that arguably the best player to ever wear a State uniform wasn?t going to start at QB in his THIRD year on the team until Tyler Russell got hurt. But these same posters want to write off Will after a handful of starts in his 2nd year.
    Exactly. Where Will is right now is about where Dak was in 2013. It's just hard to play QB when you're an underclassman unless you are Peyton Manning- and even he would tell you it wasn't easy for him I'm sure.

All these MSU fans I see talking about how great Matt Corral is. Apparently they have forgotten that he was essentially benched his second year in college for John Rhys Plumlee. In fact he lost to Memphis- Will might too we'll see Saturday. Anyway Corral was like 9-19 and didn't even have 100 yards passing against them while they scored 10 points on them. Now I guarantee you if you had a time machine fourth year Matt Corral lights up that Memphis team. Why? Experience. He got better over time.

And you're right- Dak improved as a QB in 2014. And then he improved his passing even more in 2015 behind an OL that was pretty bad and with Holloway up the middle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Exactly. Where Will is right now is about where Dak was in 2013. It's just hard to play QB when you're an underclassman unless you are Peyton Manning- and even he would tell you it wasn't easy for him I'm sure.

All these MSU fans I see talking about how great Matt Corral is. Apparently they have forgotten that he was essentially benched his second year in college for John Rhys Plumlee. In fact he lost to Memphis- Will might too we'll see Saturday. Anyway Corral was like 9-19 and didn't even have 100 yards passing against them while they scored 10 points on them. Now I guarantee you if you had a time machine fourth year Matt Corral lights up that Memphis team. Why? Experience. He got better over time.

And you're right- Dak improved as a QB in 2014. And then he improved his passing even more in 2015 behind an OL that was pretty bad and with Holloway up the middle.
    But Dak & Corral had athleticism & tools to build on
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Can't wait for the OK Corral. Maroon dressed Wyatt Earp and Doc gonna whip some ass. I'm fiddy 8 jammin to pearls betta man as I type. Peace Out and HailSTATE!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    He's right. By your standards, Trevor Lawrence is gonna suck in the pros.
    And Tom Brady would be selling insurance.

vCash
    Doesn't matter. Nick Fitzgerald had better raw tools than Dak too. That doesn't mean it will always translate.

What does matter is if he can make the best decisions in this offense and execute slightly better when he has to. We're talking a second or two off. If he was a junior or senior and doing the same things I would agree more. But he's a sophomore who didn't redshirt. He just needs game reps. I think he learned a lot Saturday. I know Leach knows because I saw him taking to Will and he mentioned it in the postgame. Now it's up to Will to learn and apply it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Doesn't matter. Nick Fitzgerald had better raw tools than Dak too. That doesn't mean it will always translate.

What does matter is if he can make the best decisions in this offense and execute slightly better when he has to. We're talking a second or two off. If he was a junior or senior and doing the same things I would agree more. But he's a sophomore who didn't redshirt. He just needs game reps. I think he learned a lot Saturday. I know Leach knows because I saw him taking to Will and he mentioned it in the postgame. Now it's up to Will to learn and apply it.
    Nick never threw the ball close to Dak. What are you looking at Todd?

vCash
    Nick had an absolute canon of an arm, but couldn't harness it to make himself a better QB. He was also considerably faster and more athletic - he was an All-Region WR his JR. year in HS. Those are the raw tools that he had better than Dak.
    You are also correct that he never could throw as well as Dak. But those tools are why Mullen offered Nick as a QB before he'd ever thrown a pass in a football game.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I see all kinds of pro names popping up in comparisons. My absolute peak Will comparison would be Danny weurffel without a supporting cast in the same galaxy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I see all kinds of pro names popping up in comparisons. My absolute peak Will comparison would be Danny weurffel without a supporting cast in the same galaxy.
    So you're saying he's Heisman worthy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman15 View Post
    So you're saying he's Heisman worthy?
    Absolutely if you surround him with the best talent in the country, and he hits his absolute ceiling.

vCash
    Absolutely if you surround him with the best talent in the country, and he hits his absolute ceiling.
    Well we know that one of those things will never happen

vCash
    Wuerffel would be an accurate comp.

vCash
    Yeah nick had more raw arm talent than dak

vCash
    He had more arm strength than Dak. Nick couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but he could throw through the barn

vCash
    Damn shame Nick didn't get his offseason leading up to senior season with mullen. I think nick woulda made a nice jump passing

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    He had more arm strength than Dak. Nick couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but he could throw through the barn
    Cristil said sumpthin like that eons ago about a strong armed QB we had way back when.

vCash
    No. Not close. Pure arm strength isn't the same arm talent.

vCash
    No. Not close. Pure arm strength isn't the same arm talent.
    RAW ARM talent. Dak had to work for everything he has become. His raw arm talent is what kept him from getting recruited by other schools. Your QB assessment skills need some polishing. Pretty raw...

vCash
    Damn shame Nick didn't get his offseason leading up to senior season with mullen. I think nick woulda made a nice jump passing
    Yes. And he didn't have near the receivers that dak had either

vCash
    Don’t y’all remember the time Nick threw the game ending Hail Mary into the student section? That’s what you call raw ass talent.