Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: College Offensive Success is 70%+ About QB Play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    That was true last year, but it doesn't sound like you're watching the same games as most of the rest of us this season. We've had guys running wide open all over the field through these first two games that Will just isn't finding consistently enough. Whether the issue is talent or just lack of experience (I'm rooting for the latter), our bottleneck right now is largely QB play. A lot of it could go on the OL in pass pro the first week too, not so much the second.
    agreed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman15 View Post
    Mac Jones won a national championship? Are you going to tell me he is extremely athletic with the strongest arm on the planet?
    Mac Jones also was taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft. No QB with an inadequate arm is being taken that high. He proved he could throw the ball down the field.

vCash
    27% of Mac Jones's passes last year were behind the line of scrimmage or at the line of scrimmage. That led the country by over 5 percentage points. And would have led in 2019. That is a crazy stat.
    Interestingly, you'd have to go back to 2018 to find a comparison in guess who, gardener minshew.

But yes, he is better than will Rogers.
    Last edited by confucius say; 09-14-2021 at 04:29 PM.

vCash
    Who is to say that Will Rogers can't progress into that. Mac Jones wasn't out their slinging it around as a true freshman, or true sophomore he didnt start until most of the way through his junior year. I swear I don't get how yall count players out at such a young age. I'm not saying Will is the best qb around but to say he doesn't have the tools to be a legit QB is dumb

vCash
    Who is to say that Will Rogers can't progress into that. Mac Jones wasn't out their slinging it around as a true freshman, or true sophomore he didnt start until most of the way through his junior year. I swear I don't get how yall count players out at such a young age. I'm not saying Will is the best qb around but to say he doesn't have the tools to be a legit QB is dumb
    It's like MSU fans don't believe a player will get better. Even though it happens the majority of the time.

vCash
    That's your eye not mine? See how that works, your opinion doesn't mean jack shit
    So you predicting will is a 1st round qb?

vCash
    Alright, I'll chime in and give my 2 cents..

I think a little bit of everything y'all are saying is correct.

-Will has a below average to average arm
    -His pocket awareness isn't great
    -He limits this offense to what it can do, but he can still be functional in it with quick decisions and good football IQ

BUT

I don't think Leach is helping him out. As C34 pointed out, Will is having to squeeze passes by 8 defenders. While other QBs in the country are only having to beat around 6. We've got to be able to run the ball EFFECTIVELY to make this thing work. Not necessarily more (even though more would be better), but effectively. Our OL sucked in this area Saturday night because they didn't get any push whatsoever, but we literally only have 2 running plays. No creativity. We don't run many counters, we run zero sweeps, we practiced a read option in practice.. where the hell is that? I know I'm asking Leach to do something he's never had to do, which is to adapt. But until we take some of the pressure off Will, his weaknesses are just going to be magnified and we'll continue to dink, dunk, and pray we don't have a negative play that derails the drive. This air raid in its current form is not going to work in the SEC. You can write that down. But if we take the air raid and add modern concepts like many Leach disciples have done, then it'll have a chance to work.

vCash
    I keep checking this thread to see if BuckyisaB*tch has responded yet, but nothing so far...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I keep checking this thread to see if BuckyisaB*tch has responded yet, but nothing so far...
    We'll smoke em out soon...

Haha

vCash
    No need in arguing, Shotgun's eye is the best around. He knows exactly how much JT daniels benchpresses just from a quick glance. He has a gift I tell you
    Ha, Ha, Ha..an internet football god with the all seeing eye...all Hail the Eye.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's like MSU fans don't believe a player will get better. Even though it happens the majority of the time.
    Come on Todd
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Come on Todd
    He's right. By your standards, Trevor Lawrence is gonna suck in the pros.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    27% of Mac Jones's passes last year were behind the line of scrimmage or at the line of scrimmage. That led the country by over 5 percentage points. And would have led in 2019. That is a crazy stat.
    Interestingly, you'd have to go back to 2018 to find a comparison in guess who, gardener minshew.

But yes, he is better than will Rogers.
    I have no idea what Mac Jones has to do with any of this. ..and I don't care to know.

I used 2018 and Minshew because unlike Mac Jones, he played in Leachs offense. Which is what I thought was the subject of conversation. Also I use Minshew and 2018 because that was a damn good year for WSU. Also I think we can agree Minshew is a talented QB. Maybe..... maybe.

My whole point in chiming in on any of this, is to defend Rogers. Rogers is a good QB and will get better. Even if the offense calls for -5 to 5 yard passes.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 09-14-2021 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It?s comical. I guess most of these posters forgot that arguably the best player to ever wear a State uniform wasn?t going to start at QB in his THIRD year on the team until Tyler Russell got hurt. But these same posters want to write off Will after a handful of starts in his 2nd year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    WILL smoke em out soon...

Haha
    FIFY

Banned
    vCash
    "If only I was HC things would be perfect"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I have no idea what Mac Jones has to do with any of this. ..and I don't care to know.

I used 2018 and Minshew because unlike Mac Jones, he played in Leachs offense. Which is what I thought was the subject of conversation. Also I use Minshew and 2018 because that was a damn good year for WSU. Also I think we can agree Minshew is a talented QB. Maybe..... maybe.

My whole point in chiming in on any of this, is to defend Rogers. Rogers is a good QB and will get better. Even if the offense calls for -5 to 5 yard passes.
    I agree with you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    FIFY
    Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    "If only I was HC things would be perfect"
    Good one and so true! That is the opinion of many message board HC's!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Come on Todd
    Skill set wise? No. But making the better decision, more accurate throw, better footwork, and making the right read with more experience? Yes. Which is improvement.

I can think of at least three plays off the top of my head where if Will throws the ball just slightly more accurately we blow them out. And I do think Will is likely going to make that adjustment as he gets older. That touchdown pass he made to Heath was good enough for anything else in this offense. He needs to do that more often and consistently. Like that pass to Polk where it was slightly off- it had plenty on it distance wise- but he has to make that pass. It was a similar pass he made to Walley to get the go ahead TD the week before.

He can throw the ball downfield about 50 yards and that's good enough for the SEC for what we're doing to be good enough to succeed. Now it's more about consistency and reading defense better and mastering the system. Leach's Air Raid is a YAC system it's not a downfield passing system like what LSU did a couple of years ago with Brady. We just need someone to get the ball in space to guys like Walley accurately and then they use the space to make an explosive play.