Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: College Offensive Success is 70%+ About QB Play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wonder how many of those misses downfield are a product of just not trusting his arm to get it there.
    Tough to say because most weren't 50 yard throws and I don't know what the reads on the playcalls were either.

vCash
    I've watched Leach for a long time. Graham Harrell had one of the weakest arms ever in college football and put up huge numbers, Kingsbury's arm was average at best and he's had several others very similar. Will's arm is better than Harrells and at least as good as Kingsbury's. The major difference between Will and those qbs is decisiveness. Those qbs knew almost immediately where they were going with the ball. Will is still not as decisive as he needs to be and that may just be a matter of experience(hopefully). He has enough arm to run this offense but can he learn to be more decisive and take the shots down the field instead of checking down so much. Time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Rogers is not the same athlete as Daniels. Not close

We're going to be arguing about completion percentage with this offense for years to come. I can see it now. It's meaningless to me. Absolutely meaningless.

That 75% completion % is good enough for our offense to currently be ranked 75% in the country. So it seems to me that completion % in the air raid & 10 cents may get you a cup of coffee.
    It's not the end al be all, I fully agree. But is an indicator of accuracy.

What have you ever seen from Daniels that makes you think he is on a whole different level athletically than Rogers? I think you are conflating foot work and awareness (Brees) with athleticism. I disagree with your statement that Brees is quick. He was not fast or shifty. He did have good feet and pocket awareness though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    It's not the end al be all, I fully agree. But is an indicator of accuracy.

What have you ever seen from Daniels that makes you think he is on a whole different level athletically than Rogers? I think you are conflating foot work and awareness (Brees) with athleticism. I disagree with your statement that Brees is quick. He was not fast or shifty. He did have good feet and pocket awareness though.
    Brees is quick twitch. So was Tony Romo but both are slow. Twitch is not an indicator of speed.

Daniels is bigger, stronger, more fluid, & explosive than Rogers
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    My two cents.

I don't like the offense we are running. I think the scheme is the problem, not Will. If we are going to run this offense, Will is perfectly capable of thriving in this offense.

The reason he is having to dump the ball off is because teams have schemed the hell out of this offense. They have tons of film on this offense, and its the same shit every week. Our big plays are either plays where Will scrambles out of the pocket and a defender comes up and gets out of their pre-designated zone and then someone is open or a DC attempts to blitz and we simply can get that ball off.

Will is doing exactly what he is being asked to do in this offense. If his arm was stronger, the WR's wouldn't be more open. LEach's offense has rarely stretched the field vertically. Its not that type of offense. Its not a coincidence that we keep having to punt 6-7 times a game, regardless of who is playing defense. LT, bears, NC State - we always end up punting 6-7 times a game.

Its very easy to blame Will, but a stronger armed QB is not the solution. Hell, KJ had a stronger arm, and that didn't do us any favors last year.

Its the offense, not the QB.

vCash
    Brees is quick twitch. So was Tony Romo but both are slow. Twitch is not an indicator of speed.

Daniels is bigger, stronger, more fluid, & explosive than Rogers
    They are the same weight amd 1 inch apart. How do you know which is stronger?

Regardless, Bigger and stronger have nothing to with speed and quickness. Daniels is bigger than Tulu too. Who cares. Daniels and Rogers 40 time and shuttle drill would be about the same. There is no significant difference in their athleticism.

vCash

Regardless, Bigger and stronger have nothing to with speed and quickness. Daniels is bigger than Tulu too. Who cares. Daniels and Rogers 40 time and shuttle drill would be about the same. There is no significant difference in their athleticism.
    No need in arguing, Shotgun's eye is the best around. He knows exactly how much JT daniels benchpresses just from a quick glance. He has a gift I tell you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I've watched Leach for a long time. Graham Harrell had one of the weakest arms ever in college football and put up huge numbers, Kingsbury's arm was average at best and he's had several others very similar. Will's arm is better than Harrells and at least as good as Kingsbury's. The major difference between Will and those qbs is decisiveness. Those qbs knew almost immediately where they were going with the ball. Will is still not as decisive as he needs to be and that may just be a matter of experience(hopefully). He has enough arm to run this offense but can he learn to be more decisive and take the shots down the field instead of checking down so much. Time will tell.
    I think this is the main issue. Really he just needs to be able to identify deep targets better and hit them when they come open.

He gets happy feet too.

If he does that this offense will take off very soon. That's the main thing I want to see this week from Will. Attack and hit receivers down the field some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    My two cents.

I don't like the offense we are running. I think the scheme is the problem, not Will. If we are going to run this offense, Will is perfectly capable of thriving in this offense.

The reason he is having to dump the ball off is because teams have schemed the hell out of this offense. They have tons of film on this offense, and its the same shit every week. Our big plays are either plays where Will scrambles out of the pocket and a defender comes up and gets out of their pre-designated zone and then someone is open or a DC attempts to blitz and we simply can get that ball off.

Will is doing exactly what he is being asked to do in this offense. If his arm was stronger, the WR's wouldn't be more open. LEach's offense has rarely stretched the field vertically. Its not that type of offense. Its not a coincidence that we keep having to punt 6-7 times a game, regardless of who is playing defense. LT, bears, NC State - we always end up punting 6-7 times a game.

Its very easy to blame Will, but a stronger armed QB is not the solution. Hell, KJ had a stronger arm, and that didn't do us any favors last year.

Its the offense, not the QB.
    I don't agree with this at all. There are guys wide open on film. I just don't see any evidence that this is correct

vCash

Ok. You see one thing and I see another

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman15 View Post
    No need in arguing, Shotgun's eye is the best around. He knows exactly how much JT daniels benchpresses just from a quick glance. He has a gift I tell you
    Butt hurt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think this is the main issue. Really he just needs to be able to identify deep targets better and hit them when they come open.

He gets happy feet too.

If he does that this offense will take off very soon. That's the main thing I want to see this week from Will. Attack and hit receivers down the field some.
    Would certainly help. Hopefully we see more of that this week

vCash
    Butt hurt
    You're a clown who makes me laugh, thank you for that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman15 View Post
    You're a clown who makes me laugh, thank you for that
    Glad I make you feel good.

vCash
    I don't agree with this at all. There are guys wide open on film. I just don't see any evidence that this is correct
    Yeah this is correct. We have guys open in the intermmediate and deep spaces consistently, so that's not the issue. I honestly think Will is trying to protect the ball to much. Watcing Costello throw all those ints and pick 6's probably traumatized him, I know it traumatized me!

vCash
    Yeah this is correct. We have guys open in the intermmediate and deep spaces consistently, so that's not the issue. I honestly think Will is trying to protect the ball to much. Watcing Costello throw all those ints and pick 6's probably traumatized him, I know it traumatized me!
    I wonder if going against Emerson & Forbes in practice has anything to do with this as well? If I were a QB practicing against those two, I could see it making me gun-shy in a game.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Yeah. Will is the complete opposite of Henig. If he doesn't know what to do he just checks it down. As opposed to chuck it down the field as hard as he can.

I think Will is going to develop out of it. I think he just needs more reps. He has started what? 8 games or something like that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I wonder if going against Emerson & Forbes in practice has anything to do with this as well? If I were a QB practicing against those two, I could see it making me gun-shy in a game.
    Yeah those 2 are pretty spiffy! Like Smoot and Bean from years ago accept these 2 maybe better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yeah. Will is the complete opposite of Henig. If he doesn't know what to do he just checks it down. As opposed to chuck it down the field as hard as he can.

I think Will is going to develop out of it. I think he just needs more reps. He has started what? 8 games or something like that?
    Lol yeah Henig, I swear that guy actually tried to throw the ball through defenders a couple of times. I think Chuck and pray was his motto.

vCash
    Would certainly help. Hopefully we see more of that this week
    We should be taking a minimum of 5-7 deep shots a game with this offense. Even if he doesn't hit them it will open up the underneath stuff and running game more.