Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
I think it's a combination of 2 things:

1. Rogers is an adequate, very football smart game manager.

2. This offense will limit anyone to a degree. In the Big 12 and Pac-12 they had guys breaking away for big plays- that happens alot less in the SEC. Teams are playing soft pass D and then running downhill and blowing people up. The defensive philosophy against Leach has changed over the years. We cant usually throw quick because of the coverages against us. So everything has to develop. It's really hard to throw against 7 and 8 players play after play. Rogers almost never gets the luxury of going only against 6 in the Secondary as most QB's get often vs a 4 man front and 1 blitzer.
I dug into #2 a little to see what accuracy there is to the idea that the SEC gives up fewer big plays than others. I only looked at 2019 - since that was the last full season and included everyone playing similar schedules. I looked at the Top 16 defenses for fewest 20+ yard pass plays given up; and I looked at the Top 16 Offenses for most 20+ yard pass plays gained. I chose Top 16 because that is 25% of the total number of P5 programs.

Top 16 Defenses for fewest 20+ yard pass plays given up broke down to: B1G (6), G5 (3), SEC (3), Indys (1 - ND) ACC,PAC 12 & B12 (1 each): So B1G had the stingiest defenses in terms of pass plays given up.
Top1 16 Offenses for most 20+ yard pass plays completed broke down to: G5 (7), ACC, B1G & SEC (2 each); Indys (1 - ND), and B12 & P12 (1 each): So G5's threw the most for long gains.

So, I'd say that B1G defends against long passes better than any conference - as they have the fewest big plays given up AND the 2nd fewest big pass plays completed amongst the top 16.2 However, with their run-heavy offenses, the numbers may be skewed.
I'd also say that the P12 and B12 are worse then the SEC - but not by a huge amount.