Thread: Will's arm strength

vCash

Will's arm strength

Jarius, 7, gun

You guys need to watch wills senior highlights (below). Literally the first play in the reel travels 50 yards in the air and is a dime. The kid does not lack the arm strength to beat corners deep. Is it elite - no. Do we need to utilize this more or does he need to find open men deep more - definitely. But talent isn't the problem. That 30 yard pass to Heath last night looked like he barely threw it up and he made it look easy. Give. Him. Time. Don't make me start posting Henig and Dak throws from their sophomore years.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6655153...f4a60cf8e5b68a

vCash
    I remember Dan doing some postseason film review on I think it was Dak in 2013 on ESPN or SEC Network. Basically he talked about how he left some points on the field and wanted him to find those opportunities downfield better.

Dak certainly did and that gives me hope that Will can do the same because to me that's his problem right now. He's leaving too much out there. I think it's a confidence/experience issue more than anything.

vCash
    Right now, I think it is a combination of mediocre arm strength and not being able to anticipate quickly enough who is going to come open. Hopefully, in time, things start to slow down and he can overcome the lack of arm strength with anticipation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Jarius, 7, gun

You guys need to watch wills senior highlights (below). Literally the first play in the reel travels 50 yards in the air and is a dime. The kid does not lack the arm strength to beat corners deep. Is it elite - no. Do we need to utilize this more or does he need to find open men deep more - definitely. But talent isn't the problem. That 30 yard pass to Heath last night looked like he barely threw it up and he made it look easy. Give. Him. Time. Don't make me start posting Henig and Dak throws from their sophomore years.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6655153...f4a60cf8e5b68a
    My assessment: will can beat you in chess but not
    3 card monte. He will make a hell of a coach a few years out of college.

vCash
    His style of play has changed, looks a lot more conservative. Maybe the high interception rate last year has him more concerned with protecting the football than pushing it down field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    His style of play has changed, looks a lot more conservative. Maybe the high interception rate last year has him more concerned with protecting the football than pushing it down field.
    I think it's the zone defenses people are using against us. It's hard to trust space deep when there are 8 guys dropping back.

vCash
    Will threw that ball about 55 yards in the air Saturday, and it was one of highest thrown balls I have ever seen him throw. And I have seen him throw a lot of them..

No he is not Brett Favre but his arm is plenty good enough

vCash
    His arm isn't bad, but it isn't strong so to make up for it, he'll have to make quicker decisions and be on the same page as the receivers.

Also, and this isn't his fault bc he's been coached not to, but when there's 20 yards of open grass, take it. There were about 5 first downs we left on the field last night because he tried to make a throw and didn't run. Leach isn't known for adapting, but this needs to be an area where he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Will threw that ball about 55 yards in the air Saturday, and it was one of highest thrown balls I have ever seen him throw. And I have seen him throw a lot of them..

No he is not Brett Favre but his arm is plenty good enough
    Yeah will has enough arm. Heck I've been watching leach since he started being a HC at tech. Graham Harrell put up huge numbers and had one of the weakest arms I've ever seen. Kingsburys arm wasn't strong and some others leach has had. Wills arms is stronger than Harrels for sure and at least as strong as kingsburys. Will just has to make some quicker decisions at times but I believe that'll come with more time.