Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons after NC State

vCash

Pros/Cons after NC State

Offensive Pros:

- OL blocked a little better
    - Playaction/Pump Fake additions helped open things up some
    - A few more shots downfield, including TD to Heath
    - A little less dink and dunk dependent (not as many RB dumps)

Defensive Pros:

- Run D was incredible against a good running team
    - Corners were incredible on open field tackles on short throws (whole D was)
    - Not really any totally busted plays like last week that I can remember
    - Got pressure on the QB without giving up home runs

Offensive cons:

- Still not much rhythm, no tempo
    - OL didn't block well on the running plays
    - Dolla Bill is counterfeit
    - Will has to be willing to take off every now and then to pick up first downs
    - 4th and 1 and we throw it behind the LOS? GTFO with that, Leach.

Defensive cons:

- Susceptible to the deep ball, safeties are suspect, but it's the price we pay to stop the run and pressure the QB
    - Shawn Preston Jr (yikes)
    - Not many cons, they were phenomenal and the reason we won the game tonight

Special Teams:

Pros - Tulu & Kickoffs through the end zone (Tulu is electric and should touch it way more on offense)

Cons - Tucker Day (What the hell, man? You're a veteran, can't average a few shanks per game. Time to explore the next man up)
    - Onside kick

vCash
    Pretty good assessment on everything. This defense probably tackles better overall than any I've ever seen at State. And how about Jett Johnson, dude played like a mad man tonight.

vCash
    I thought the OLine did a great job tonight. Several times Will was pressured, it was his own damn fault for holding it so long or he rolled out. He has got to get better at making a decision quicker. There were several times receivers were open and he held the ball.

The 1st drive of the game, he missed Tulu. when they panned out, there was literally NO ONE around Tulu. He would have run all the way to Memphis un touched if Will hits him in stride.

The D is what it is. It is just plain nasty. We may as well kiss Arnett goodbye after this year. Someone will grab him.

I was pleasantly surprised by the freshman kicker. He looked really good.

Tucker Day looked like shit. We need a punter badly.

Overall it was a good win that none of us thought would happen after last week. We need to clean some stuff up before Memphis. they are gonna stretch the field and put pressure on us next weekend. I think the D can hold them, and they will give up some points. So the offense has to step up.

I was sitting here thinking tonight. Our D is very good, and O isnt right now. Watch what happens. We will loose Arnett and the D will go down hill and Leach will get the offense rolling and it will be the exact opposite in a couple years. We will be sitting here bitching about the defense instead of the offense.

vCash
    They hit those two deep balls and this is a different ballgame. That said, if Rogers hits our RB in stride he walks in so I guess it evens out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Pretty good assessment on everything. This defense probably tackles better overall than any I've ever seen at State. And how about Jett Johnson, dude played like a mad man tonight.
    Ari said two weeks ago that Jett shouldn't even be on the roster and I wonder what the heck he was doing wrong. Turns out nothing. He was everywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    They hit those two deep balls and this is a different ballgame. That said, if Rogers hits our RB in stride he walks in so I guess it evens out.
    We honestly made more mistakes abd missed more opportunities than they did.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Ari said two weeks ago that Jett shouldn't even be on the roster and I wonder what the heck he was doing wrong. Turns out nothing. He was everywhere.
    I hate it when people take shots like that at our players while knowing absolute Dick about said player.

vCash
    What I am learning is that a Leach coached team is well coached in all aspects.

The defense and special teams are some the best coached I have seen. I mean we have our kicker go down and they have guys ready. Sure Tucker shanks a couple but players make mistakes.

The offense will go as far as Rogers can take them because that OL is starting to come around. If Rogers wants to be the man, he needs to take charge and be that guy. I know he is still young but this team can win a good bit this year if he does.

vCash
    Good assessment Cad ... Have we ever taken the opening kickoff 100 yards before? If so, I don't remember
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    What I am learning is that a Leach coached team is well coached in all aspects.

The defense and special teams are some the best coached I have seen. I mean we have our kicker go down and they have guys ready. Sure Tucker shanks a couple but players make mistakes.

The offense will go as far as Rogers can take them because that OL is starting to come around. If Rogers wants to be the man, he needs to take charge and be that guy. I know he is still young but this team can win a good bit this year if he does.
    Not sure how much credit leach gets for defense other than making a tremendous hire. Leach doesn't exactly have a great track record on defenses.

Now leach should get credit on the Oline cleaning things up this week.

This was a great win.

vCash
    I think you nail it. Pros: Defense. Wow.

Cons: Offense has to get more consistent. Punting: more consistent. Get the ball away quicker. NcSt got pressure on the punter a few times.

vCash
    Jett might be a one-game anomaly. But he was as good as any defensive player we had last night. He was a very pleasant surprise.

vCash
    We honestly made more mistakes abd missed more opportunities than they did.
    This is very true. Ball on the first drive that went off Walley's hands on the crosser was a TD. They had only 2 guys downfield to stop him and we had 2 receivers. Ball to Dillon Johnson is a TD on the swing pass if he hits him in stride.

My issue is that we can't run block at all. Good teams will never respect the run and will shut our offense completely if we can't do better than 2 yards per carry and Will Rogers never runs it. We don't force teams to commit more to the LOS to open up passing lanes. If you can't make defenses tackle our guys in space, the big play will never open up.

vCash
    Week 2 was so much better than week 1. Getting better and better. Let's all stay positive..

vCash
    Forget head coach, scheme, or whatever….that was a classic Mississippi state win. Do enough on offense but feel like we shoulda blown em out cuz we are inconsistent…defense carries the day while also getting a couple breaks.

I’ve been watchin state for over 30 years and that was as Mississippi state a game as I’ve ever seen.

vCash
    He certainly played well last night. He has a nose for the ball and tackles well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Forget head coach, scheme, or whatever?.that was a classic Mississippi state win. Do enough on offense but feel like we shoulda blown em out cuz we are inconsistent?defense carries the day while also getting a couple breaks.

I?ve been watchin state for over 30 years and that was as Mississippi state a game as I?ve ever seen.
    Lol ... lotta truth there. Only one big difference- we did it through the air
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Good post Cadaver.
    Here is what I saw:
    1. We did not have multiple guys running wide open every play like last week. His yardage wasn't as high this week but I thought Will did a better job overall this week although he flat out missed on a couple that may have been long TD's.
    2. Jet Johnson for the 2nd week in a row was all over the place. I mentioned him last week too.
    3. Take away the blown coverage and the missed assignment on the run last week and La Tech's O only put 13 on us. The D is solid.
    4. After seeing Tulu return kicks in the bowl game, I couldn't believe Tech kicked to him multiple times last week. It absolutely blew my mind when NC State did it.
    5. Maybe I was seeing things but in the 4th quarter it looked like we were staying over the ball longer before we snapped it like Will was taking more time making pre-snap reads. It looked like we performed better while doing this. But, that performance could also be due to my next observation.
    6. Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Leach Beach played a huge role in the 4th quarter last night. NC State was gassed on both sides of the ball and had multiple guys cramp up in the 4th.

vCash
    I'm usually overly negative, so I'll stick to the pros on offense.

2nd half, we utilized play action really well.

1st half, I actually saw us run a zone read play. I think Will should have pulled it but he handed it off, but at least we called it.

We added in some little toss plays too.

Oh, I also saw a few back shoulder throws too.

He basically did all the things I said we needed to do after last week.

1 con for defense is we still had several instances of guys streaking wide open deep. NCST didn't connect, so that was good. Can't keep doing that several times a game though.
    Last edited by PMDawg; 09-12-2021 at 10:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    I thought the OLine did a great job tonight. Several times Will was pressured, it was his own damn fault for holding it so long or he rolled out. He has got to get better at making a decision quicker. There were several times receivers were open and he held the ball.

The 1st drive of the game, he missed Tulu. when they panned out, there was literally NO ONE around Tulu. He would have run all the way to Memphis un touched if Will hits him in stride.

The D is what it is. It is just plain nasty. We may as well kiss Arnett goodbye after this year. Someone will grab him.

I was pleasantly surprised by the freshman kicker. He looked really good.

Tucker Day looked like shit. We need a punter badly.

Overall it was a good win that none of us thought would happen after last week. We need to clean some stuff up before Memphis. they are gonna stretch the field and put pressure on us next weekend. I think the D can hold them, and they will give up some points. So the offense has to step up.

I was sitting here thinking tonight. Our D is very good, and O isnt right now. Watch what happens. We will loose Arnett and the D will go down hill and Leach will get the offense rolling and it will be the exact opposite in a couple years. We will be sitting here bitching about the defense instead of the offense.
    Why do you think we lose arnett? If he were to get a head coach job then of course they would leave. But not everyone is head coach material.

He likes coaching for Leach. That counts a lot. I suspect we could match any money offer from 95% of the country.