Thread: One thing from the weekend that deserves a thread

vCash

One thing from the weekend that deserves a thread

How great was it to see the 98 team again? And those helmets MSU? Just reminded me how special the 90s were. I think a few off that 98 team could play now and help us. Jackie got some dudes to play for him.

Great tributes by some of the Sorority houses. Zeta's was incredible.

Hail State!!

vCash
    I wish we would wear those helmets every game for the next 10 years.

vCash
    It was awesome to see what little they showed on TV. But the suckness of our coach tainted the whole thing. Thanks for reminding us though. That was certainly the bright spot. And yes, those unis, especially the helmets, were badass.

vCash
    That was awesome! Then, in typical MSU fashion instead of running the band on the field during the cheering for the '98 team as they were leaving to keep the atmosphere pumped, we bring everything to a dead stop with the forced maroon/white cheer before trying to get everything fired back up for the band to come on.

vCash
    Yeah the only negative about honoring the team was a little odd moment after they came out. Nothing was going on. They should have played some more video on the jumbo highlighting the 98 season and championship then let the stadium get wild with them witnessing it.

It was still great though.

vCash
    1998 and 1999 was the best two year stretch for our program outside of 1940 and 1941.

We won every home game over that two year span. Really special time for MSU football.

We were the team no one wanted to play. Because yes, you might win but we're going to beat the hell out of you if you do.

1998 had maybe the best special teams I have ever seen at MSU. 1999 had the best defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    1998 and 1999 was the best two year stretch for our program outside of 1940 and 1941.

We won every home game over that two year span. Really special time for MSU football.

We were the team no one wanted to play. Because yes, you might win but we're going to beat the hell out of you if you do.

1998 had maybe the best special teams I have ever seen at MSU. 1999 had the best defense.
    Great times indeed!

vCash
    Here's some awesomeness for you.

We won both Egg Bowls in 1998 and 1999. Two of the most memorable for me because one we won the SEC West in Oxford which was awesome. 1999 was the best Egg Bowl I have ever seen- pass, pick, and kick.

We beat Alabama in 1998 and JJ Johnson set a then school record for all-purpose yards. They could not stop him even with 9 in the box.

Went 2-0 against Auburn including 1998 with an incredible special teams performance where we were penalized for doing the Dawg Pound Rock. We then promptly kicked off, caused Auburn to fumble and then returned it for a TD. 1999 Matt Wyatt led the second greatest MSU comeback in history (Auburn 2021) which was at the time the largest deficit we overcame in the fourth quarter.

1999 LSU Rod Gibson scored and LSU disagreed but they're wrong. We scored the play before anyway.

1998 Arkansas was awesome. People always remember Hazlewood's FG that Arkansas fans think wasn't good but they're wrong. People have somehow forgot Wayne Madkin converting on 3rd and 18 and 4th and 16 to keep the drive going which were both under pressure and we pulled it off.

1998 Vanderbilt the Dawg Pound Rock was unveiled and we shut them out and in 1999 Fred Smoot made them do his homework.

We shut out South Carolina two years in a row. That's kind of incredible when you think about it.

Kentucky 1999 Matt Wyatt led the comeback on a Thursday night when MSU convinced us that playing on Thursday was good luck.

I know it wasn't 1998 or 1999 but Florida 2000 was pretty incredible too with a lot of the same players.

Won the Peach Bowl in 1999 which was our first bowl win at the time since 1981. Made the Cotton Bowl the year before.

Kevin Prentiss returning the punt back against Tennessee was surreal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I wish we would wear those helmets every game for the next 10 years.
    I don't understand why we can't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    How great was it to see the 98 team again? And those helmets MSU? Just reminded me how special the 90s were. I think a few off that 98 team could play now and help us. Jackie got some dudes to play for him.

Great tributes by some of the Sorority houses. Zeta's was incredible.

Hail State!!
    He did have some good players for sure. He signed a lot of JC players which panned out for us. Later, however, he signed a bunch from Arizona Western which didn't pan out.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Those must be the regulars going forward.

vCash
    My favorite part was when they showed Jackie leading the team out of the tunnel -
    With that giant walking stick he looked like damn Gandalf leading the Fellowship out to slay some Orcs.

vCash
    I loved the uniforms

My oldest son not so much

vCash

We won both Egg Bowls in 1998 and 1999. Two of the most memorable for me because one we won the SEC West in Oxford which was awesome. 1999 was the best Egg Bowl I have ever seen- pass, pick, and kick.

We beat Alabama in 1998 and JJ Johnson set a then school record for all-purpose yards. They could not stop him even with 9 in the box.

Went 2-0 against Auburn including 1998 with an incredible special teams performance where we were penalized for doing the Dawg Pound Rock. We then promptly kicked off, caused Auburn to fumble and then returned it for a TD. 1999 Matt Wyatt led the second greatest MSU comeback in history (Auburn 2021) which was at the time the largest deficit we overcame in the fourth quarter.

1999 LSU Rod Gibson scored and LSU disagreed but they're wrong. We scored the play before anyway.

1998 Arkansas was awesome. People always remember Hazlewood's FG that Arkansas fans think wasn't good but they're wrong. People have somehow forgot Wayne Madkin converting on 3rd and 18 and 4th and 16 to keep the drive going which were both under pressure and we pulled it off.

1998 Vanderbilt the Dawg Pound Rock was unveiled and we shut them out and in 1999 Fred Smoot made them do his homework.

We shut out South Carolina two years in a row. That's kind of incredible when you think about it.

Kentucky 1999 Matt Wyatt led the comeback on a Thursday night when MSU convinced us that playing on Thursday was good luck.

I know it wasn't 1998 or 1999 but Florida 2000 was pretty incredible too with a lot of the same players.

Won the Peach Bowl in 1999 which was our first bowl win at the time since 1981. Made the Cotton Bowl the year before.

Thank you. I needed this with my coffee this morning. I was still a young man then. Those are great memories. Brought a tear to my eyes this morning. Now I have to go facilitate a big meeting and I'm pumped!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    My favorite part was when they showed Jackie leading the team out of the tunnel -
    With that giant walking stick he looked like damn Gandalf leading the Fellowship out to slay some Orcs.
    That was cool. Jackie has to have a hip replacement is reason for the cane. Sure do miss him roaming the sidelines.

vCash

We owned Bama those years winning 4 of 5 from 96 thru 2000. I was at Tuscaloosa in 97 and they couldn't stop JJ that day either. One of best days ever watching Bama having to eat it from little ole MSU. JJ was such an intimidating back, just trucked people every game.

vCash
    I started at State in 98. I had never been interested in college football at all but was immediately hooked by that season. Also, as a first generation college student, I assumed we had always been that good (LOOOOOL). I love looking back at the 98/99 seasons but I also blame them for making me a State fan and raising my expectations too high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I started at State in 98. I had never been interested in college football at all but was immediately hooked by that season. Also, as a first generation college student, I assumed we had always been that good (LOOOOOL). I love looking back at the 98/99 seasons but I also blame them for making me a State fan and raising my expectations too high.
    Hah, yeah I understand. I got hooked in 1980, you got it 6-3. The early 80s spoiled me. Then late 80s happened and then Jackie revived it all in 91 when I was a senior there. He had all on board that first year.

Some tough breaks here and there thru the 90s. Sleepy getting hurt set us back. Lost Keefer Magee twice - once with knee then his death that summer. Those two losses were huge season changers. 99 we got screwed in Tuscaloosa or we win the SECW that year. Bama refs weren't going to let us win that day. At that point, we already beat them 3 years in a row, they had had enough. We had SECW won in 97 but lost egg bowl. We should have won SECW 4 years in a row but didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Hah, yeah I understand. I got hooked in 1980, you got it 6-3. The early 80s spoiled me. Then late 80s happened and then Jackie revived it all in 91 when I was a senior there. He had all on board that first year.

Some tough breaks here and there thru the 90s. Sleepy getting hurt set us back. Lost Keefer Magee twice - once with knee then his death that summer. Those two losses were huge season changers. 99 we got screwed in Tuscaloosa or we win the SECW that year. Bama refs weren't going to let us win that day. At that point, we already beat them 3 years in a row, they had had enough. We had SECW won in 97 but lost egg bowl. We should have won SECW 4 years in a row but didn't.
    The only thing I knew about MSU football when I started as a Freshman in '91 was that when I visited the previous October many of the windows in Sessums were painted over with "FIRE FELKER" LOL
    Getting to experience Jackie's first season and be on campus as a student was tremendous. People forget that in '92, we were still alive for winning the West when Bama came to town. It would have required us beating Bama and Ole Miss, and Bama losing to Auburn - but it was a chance and that Bama game was LIT. That was my first real experience with Bam Refs, and that game sent me back to Duggar with a rage headache
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The only thing I knew about MSU football when I started as a Freshman in '91 was that when I visited the previous October many of the windows in Sessums were painted over with "FIRE FELKER" LOL
    Getting to experience Jackie's first season and be on campus as a student was tremendous. People forget that in '92, we were still alive for winning the West when Bama came to town. It would have required us beating Bama and Ole Miss, and Bama losing to Auburn - but it was a chance and that Bama game was LIT. That was my first real experience with Bam Refs, and that game sent me back to Duggar with a rage headache
    And we beat Bama's tail till late in 4th quarter. That was Bama's toughest game all year and they won the NC. Too many youngsters don't realize how good Jackie's teams were 91-2000. We haven't competed with any Bama team since 2007, well I guess to be fair we should have won in 17.