Thread: Offensive Line Recruiting

vCash

Offensive Line Recruiting

Which is more important in Leach?s offense?

Brute strength and size?

Or Conditioning and Intelligence?

Watching this Notre Dame Oline work together is enjoyable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post

Brute strength and size?

Leach is going to find 5 big mean ones I can promise you that. With Leach he has usually had 5 huge guys

vCash
    One thing we learned from this weekend- transfer portal

vCash

An entirely different breed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    One thing we learned from this weekend- transfer portal
    Well our best guy this weekend was a transfer from Alabama. Cross was a WTF? Performance from me.

vCash
    I would think all the above plus speed.

You have to be able to cover those wide splits. An SEC DL will be quick enough to get through those splits in a blink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Leach is going to find 5 big mean ones I can promise you that. With Leach he has usually had 5 huge guys
    This is where you are wrong again.
    Leach wants long leaner OL. Most are 6'5 and up 275-300. The issue is that those guys are not as good of athletes now they have to play at a very high level against stud DL athletes
    In our recruiting base you are going to find more mean big ass road graders than them long skinny unathetic boys. Add in them wide ass splits and it spells disaster.
    I know you think this air raid will work but it's just not a fit here.

vCash
    No lineman is going to beat an DL all game with splits that wide. It takes away the advantage of size OL usually have over DL.

vCash

Brute strength and size?

It would help if we weren't losing all of our OL recruiting leans to Ole Miss. I've always foudn it odd that Ole Miss will recruit the hell out of positions of need for State even if they don't need them. That's a hell of a strategy to keep your opponent down. That's right out of the old Bear Bryant playbook back in the day.

vCash
    It's gonna be hard to win OL battles vs similar or better programs. Teams are telling recruits that we don't prepare them for the NFL because we pass it 90% of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    It's gonna be hard to win OL battles vs similar or better programs. Teams are telling recruits that we don't prepare them for the NFL because we pass it 90% of the time.
    Seems to be a strange argument given the NFL has turned into a passing league. Not a lot of road grater run blockers needed in the NFL.

vCash
    We also have to pony up to get good recruits now?something the athletic program will probably never do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    No lineman is going to beat an DL all game with splits that wide. It takes away the advantage of size OL usually have over DL.
    this all day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    We also have to pony up to get good recruits now?something the athletic program will probably never do.
    It's not the athletics departments place to "pony up" the school can't sponsor nil deals.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    It's not the athletics departments place to "pony up" the school can't sponsor nil deals.
    Do our cigar boys have a plan? Do STATE bidness owners not want free advertising?

vCash
    Leach signed 5 OL last year and at least two of them could play right now in Reese and Jones if needed. He has 3 committed this year and I am expecting at least one or two more and don't rule out a transfer.

Many years Mullen never signed more than three and we rarely had more than 15 or 16 total OL on those teams, Leach will devote as much as 20 scholarships to the Oline. According to 247 scholarship dist, State already has 13 OT's & 4 IOL for a total of 17. All but three of those are either a FR or Soph. Yes, you may lose one or two to the NFL but so far, nothing I have seen on the field indicates that will happen this year.

If people are freaking out now about our OL recruiting, they must have gone crazy during the Mullen years. He may not have had but 13 scholarship OL on some of those teams.

Banned
    vCash
    I've seen many posts saying hard to evaluate OL. So I would assume it's definitely a numbers game and Leach seems to be doing fine at this early juncture.

vCash
    Do we even have “cigar boys”? Honest question. You always knew who was doing the dirty work in Oxford. I’ve always heard the term cigar boys but I’m starting to think they are as real as Big Foot.

If they do exist, then puff your chest out and start paying some damn players!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Do we even have “cigar boys”? Honest question. You always knew who was doing the dirty work in Oxford. I’ve always heard the term cigar boys but I’m starting to think they are as real as Big Foot.

We don?t. Clearly.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

Yep. We got 'em I'm sure. just seems they are AWOL these days.