Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- It Was A Win Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- It Was A Win Edition

1. I love the opening Saturday of college football. It's like Christmas morning for me every year. I should have grilled but with so many great games, I went the easy route and cooked a pot of red beans and rice. Added Bryan's Smokeyhollow sausage and some ham as well. Tony's as well for more flavor.

2. We won the pillow fight. You could see it coming after the kickoff return and quick score in the 4th. Tech played soft on that possession, playing not to lose. We kicked it in from there. Terrible job by Holtz on that last possession of not trying to get 10-15 more yards or so. He played soft and it cost them.

3. Will Rogers is a placeholder until a more talented player is ready. He's a slightly more talented Rob Morgan. He doesn't have the arm, pocket presence, or escapability to be a bigtime QB. But he does have toughness and football sense. We can get by with him in the short term but there is no way Leach wins any big game with him as QB.

4. Marks looks great. 11/71 and one of those carries a was 1 yd TD. We ran the ball well.

5. Speaking of- this is why this shit isn't going to work. We threw the ball 52 times yesterday (47 passes and 5 Rogers carries) and only ran the ball 14 times. Part of being good on offense is keeping defenses guessing. What are they going to do here? We don't make DC's guess anything. Defenses play pass against us every play. It's why they are able to dial up pressure often. It's why there is rarely anything downfield for us-we do nothing to force the safeties to have to come up at all. They just sit back playing CF. It's 7 on 7 with a running play once in a blue moon.

6. The OL run blocked well. 14/84 by the RB's. The OL did not handle the twists and stunts very well at all. The OL coach is not getting thru to these guys or something. That's just basic OL play that is practiced every day. We got quite a bit of pressure from one of the weaker DL's we will play this Fall. 3 sacks, holds and false starts. Lashley graded out pretty well but the rest looked like ass.

7. We are improved at WR. Heath didnt even play and we didnt miss a beat. It wasn't all dump offs to the RB's yesterday as Polk caught 10 balls. Williams got catches in the middle, and Walley made some big plays. RB, WR, and CB has some talent on this team again.

8. We do not have a top 5 SEC defense. Georgia, Bama, A&M- those are what top SEC D's look like. We gave up 27 points and 370 yards to an offense that wasnt all that good. This bunch was picked in the bottom half of C-USA. Losing Davis hurt and you can see it. 1 sack yesterday with all the pressure we brought. We have bring pressure in tough situations because we have no pass rush. That's going to cost us as the season goes. Look for NC State to have some stuff ready for the blitz on big downs.

9. We are pretty good at LB and CB tho. Forbes and Emerson do a great job in man coverage. I loved their physicality against the Tech WR's. Be physical the refs won't call PI that often. Set the tone for the game. They did. They played lesser players yesterday and won most of the battles. Long road ahead tho.

10. Anything can happen in sports but this looks like a 4/5 win team in 2021. Our best hope is that Leach decides he has enough money and heads to Key West to live out the rest of his life. I know that is going to trigger some of you and I don't care. You will see things my way after this year's Egg Bowl when the bowl streak ends. At least we arent Vandy.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We're a 6 or 7 win team. Same prediction as before the season. Everyone is just being dramatic after 1 game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    We're a 6 or 7 win team. Same prediction as before the season. Everyone is just being dramatic after 1 game
    I think most preseason predictions were on the premise our D would be really good. I have big concerns on the D

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think most preseason predictions were on the premise our D would be really good. I have big concerns on the D
    Our inability on Defense to get to and/or pressure the QB also appears to have inadvertently prepared (or should I say, underprepared) our OL on how to stop the twisting and stunts that other teams will throw at us. We will go as far as the OL allows us to go this year unfortunately.

vCash
    Meh, offense turned it over 4 times, defense gave up 2 big explosive plays, and we had 12 penalties. Oklahoma had a barn burner against Tulane. It happens. 4th quarter showed who we are.

vCash
    Wasn't the D trash against LSU last year too? Do you think they can get better? The O sucks though.

vCash
    I thought the air raid was supposed to be exciting? This is a boring ass offense. And I'm not sure how throwing for 370 yards is boring but it is. Everything has to go right for this offense to work. There are no fallback plans. That's why I don't think it will work.

vCash
    After the difficulty that most teams had yesterday, I think it?s too early to say how good or bad we are.

I think we?re going to have a much much better idea after next Saturday due to the wake up call yesterday.

I?d say anyone guessing 5 or less wins or 8 or more wins have an agenda that they?re pushing.

The reality is that we looked like crap yesterday but also appear more talented in some areas. Rogers is extremely limited physically and that lowers our ceiling dramatically, but, other than that, I need another week to have a better feel for this team. A bunch of good teams looked awful yesterday
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I thought the air raid was supposed to be exciting? This is a boring ass offense.
    agreed. RB's caught over 100 passes last season. Had 12 catches yesterday. It's hard to watch

vCash
    Very good assessment especially #3 & 5. Rob Morgan is perfect but I was thinking more of a better Henig.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I thought the air raid was supposed to be exciting? This is a boring ass offense. And I'm not sure how throwing for 370 yards is boring but it is. Everything has to go right for this offense to work. There are no fallback plans. That's why I don't think it will work.
    You're right. The amount of short passes that have no ability to be home runs, makes it about as exciting as 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It doesn't help that we only run 5 plays...that also makes it boring. Now don't get me wrong, if we're winning 10 games with it, it's not so boring...but when you run 5 plays and struggle to beat La Tech, it sucks.

I will definitely not be basing my Saturdays this fall on the schedule of the team I watched yesterday. I support them, but I know a team that will not have success when I see one, and Leach will not have success here. Unfortunately

Banned
    vCash
    It seems like what I was seeing was Will with adequate time but seemed unsure of himself operating in slow motion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    After the difficulty that most teams had yesterday, I think it?s too early to say how good or bad we are.

I think we?re going to have a much much better idea after next Saturday due to the wake up call yesterday.
    Who? Clemson/Georgia was 2 of the best defenses in the country with all offseason to prepare for each other.
    Oklahoma had a huge lead and coasted against a Tulane team that isn't bad.
    A&M rolled
    Bama rolled
    Fla rolled
    LSU lost on the road to a good football team
    Kentucky is better offensively
    Auburn rolled
    Tenn rolled
    SC rolled

Who is this "most" you speak of?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Who? Clemson/Georgia was 2 of the best defenses in the country with all offseason to prepare for each other.
    Oklahoma had a huge lead and coasted against a Tulane team that isn't bad.
    A&M rolled
    Bama rolled
    Fla rolled
    LSU lost on the road to a good football team
    Kentucky is better offensively
    Auburn rolled
    Tenn rolled
    SC rolled

Who is this "most" you speak of?
    Iowa State almost beat by Northern Iowa
    Oklahoma didn't roll or coast in any sense of the word. Not close to rolling

Texas A&M was up 10-3 into the 3rd Q to Kent State

Washington lost to Montana

Florida wasn't at 30 points till late

Tenn was close deep into the 3rd Q

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong at all. In fact, I lean your way. But I also think there is a good chance that we just played really poorly yesterday and yesterday was a weird day.

I feel like I'll have an infinitely better feel for this team after next Sat.

Remember the 2014 struggled with UAB early. Not saying this team is anything close to that team, but just making a point that you don't always play well and that the game is really hard.

Without 4 TOs yesterday, we roll and that's not even considering the penalties.

vCash
    Coach34 already walking back his 4-8 prediction to "4/5 wins." Can't even commit for 12 hours.

A week from now he'll be at "maybe 6" and whatever our record is at the end of November he'll have called it at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    You're right. The amount of short passes that have no ability to be home runs, makes it about as exciting as 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It doesn't help that we only run 5 plays...that also makes it boring. Now don't get me wrong, if we're winning 10 games with it, it's not so boring...but when you run 5 plays and struggle to beat La Tech, it sucks.

I will definitely not be basing my Saturdays this fall on the schedule of the team I watched yesterday. I support them, but I know a team that will not have success when I see one, and Leach will not have success here. Unfortunately
    I think a lot of it has to do with our recruiting of OL and DL players. Every time I see a commitment mentioned I'm hoping that it is a DL or OL player. Most of the time, however, it is a W/R or D/B. Seems like that has been our problem forever, and if you can't get quality linemen, you are not going to be a great team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Iowa State almost beat by Northern Iowa
    Oklahoma didn't roll or coast in any sense of the word. Not close to rolling

Texas A&M was up 10-3 into the 3rd Q to Kent State

Washington lost to Montana

Florida wasn't at 30 points till late

Tenn was close deep into the 3rd Q

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong at all. In fact, I lean your way. But I also think there is a good chance that we just played really poorly yesterday and yesterday was a weird day.

I feel like I'll have an infinitely better feel for this team after next Sat.

Remember the 2014 struggled with UAB early. Not saying this team is anything close to that team, but just making a point that you don't always play well and that the game is really hard.

Without 4 TOs yesterday, we roll and that's not even considering the penalties.
    You realize they had 2 TOs too that lead to 14 points, right?

aTm was -3 in TOs and +31 in points
    Last edited by msstate7; 09-05-2021 at 11:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Coach34 already walking back his 4-8 prediction to "4/5 wins." Can't even commit for 12 hours.

A week from now he'll be at "maybe 6" and whatever our record is at the end of November he'll have called it at some point.
    Yeah every time I read his predictions I remember why he is on my Ignore list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

Not sure about your reading comprehension. I clearly said 4/5 win team that would not make it to a bowl game. That's a pretty definite line drawn.

Banned
    vCash
    I guess the question this year is whether or not any teams going to be able to hold the spread through the first quarter against Saban