Thread: A few things...

vCash

A few things...

I'm not going to continue to dwell on the fact that Leach's offense isn't going to work. Instead, I want to discuss a few things from today, and a few things I think will be our only hope of turning things around.

- Tulu is a difference maker, guys. We have got to get that dude more touches, and he needs to return punts too. Austin Williams is never going to break one, but Tulu can. I've seen posts about him being unable to field punts well...well, work with his ass and make him good at it, bc he's electric.

- Much like JOMo's offense, we're moving too slow. We need to speed things up and get a rhythm going on O. When we did in the 4th, we got momentum and you could sense the urgency. We MUST have that same urgency every offensive possession going forward.

- I don't know if it's Will, or Leach, but it's time to take the handcuffs off of Will or tell him to stop being timid and let er rip. Those final drives were beautiful bc he was making quick decisions and trusting his ability, and just slinging it. We need a gun slinger if we're going to have any success with this scheme, so he's got to be confident in throwing the ball down field and stop checking down every play, holding the ball so long, and being on his heels so much.

- Gotta get the OL in gear. Those guys are too talented to play so shitty. Mason Miller needs to get his shit together, bc his unit is killing us. If I see another 5 man front give up a sack to a basic 3 man rush, I think im going to lose my mind. And when I see Will standing there holding the ball in the pocket as if he has a Pro Bowl line in front of him, I just want to pull my hair out. He's going to get hurt and we're going to keep sucking offensively until Miller gets his units heads out of their asses. Miller needs to shape up or ship out.

- We have got to be able to get a little pressure without bringing the house. Our safeties are not good in coverage to put it kindly....so we may not be able to afford to put them all on an island every play this year. For that to happen, we have got to get pressure with our DL, and they provided zero today. La Tech was pressuring us to death rushing 3 on 5, but we couldn't get pressure on them when we brought 5 plus at times....that can't happen. Basically, we have to be better in the trenches on both sides.

- More down hill running plays like we saw in the 4th quarter please. We have the ability to pick up big chunks on the ground if we will commit to doing it, and it will open up those seams and deeper routes if we do....Will Leach do it? Unlikely. But it needs to happen if he's going to win here.

All that being said, I'm more convinced than ever that this one dimensional offense isn't going to work here. We do the defenses job for them by eliminating the run game, and you cannot win games when you're forced to complete 15 passes on a 17 play drive to score points. We have to have more quick scores and big plays to have any shot of this "air raid" to work. But like I said in another thread...I've seen a year and a game of this offense, and that's plenty to see that it isn't working and Leach is unwilling to adjust. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll take it as a big positive if I see some of the changes I mentioned above in the coming weeks.

vCash
    It's not the Oline, it's the scheme. You can't have wide splits, man blocking and protect for more than 3 seconds.

And Will can't get rid of it bc teams are dropping 7-8 in cover 3s and forcing check downs.

Leach apparently was unwilling to adapt. I guess his got that 5 mill a year retirement locked down and didn't feel like changing

vCash
    First off, we love adversity. We love oppression also.

Penalties probably killed more drives and resulted in points the other direction than anything else. That was the worst takeaway I have from today.

I said last year that Marks is going to be a hell of a back, and he is one.

Tulu should have played more last season.

The Dline taking a few steps back. We need DLineman in the worst way.

We looked lost in the secondary today.

Oline is a bunch of nice church guys that eat too much peach cobbler.

Too much jawing going on after plays, still.

I hope Leach will give up the sideline throws. It's too hard to block those and are wasted downs.

The more I learn about how we can succeed in football, the less I know about how we can achieve it.
    Last edited by Bothrops; 09-04-2021 at 11:58 PM.

vCash
    Will had recievers open all day deep if he would just go to them. There was seriously someone open every play but he's got to hit them quick and with confidence.