Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NIL deals at msu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Seems logical. But OP would rather a professor step up and sponsor a player. Lolz. OM will have no problem finding a business to sponsor a player we want, even though it won't help their ROI, and said business will write it off as a business expense.
    No the OP would rather the professor not act like everyone is being lazy and cheap, while he doesn't do anything himself. But I'm sure you are sponsoring someone too, huh??? Birds of a feather.......................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Then why can most other schools pain their field? I think the guy is just lazy
    I think it is possible Leach having Thursday practice in the stadium is unusual in today's game (I could be wrong). And, I would assume COVID budget cutbacks and staffing shortages has probably left them short of people.
    Frankly, I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt because he has helped us have the best playing surfaces in the country - hands down. I'll trade having field paint for having a top notch field in November so we don't spend a month playing in slop. Half the universities in the country can't even grow grass.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    No the OP would rather the professor not act like everyone is being lazy and cheap, while he doesn't do anything himself. But I'm sure you are sponsoring someone too, huh??? Birds of a feather.......................
    Don't try so hard to be a c^nt, please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Don't try so hard to be a c^nt, please.
    touchy , huh.....nice touch with the please after the name calling though, typical.

Banned
    vCash
    $3600? At this rate, we won't be able to beat Jackson State in a few years.

Banned
    vCash
    This is the bulshit I figured when I first heard about it. Unless there's some major changes we are so f****** football; I knew it was going to f*** us but I didn't think we were also going to be this retarded and lazy, looks like the f*** is going to come a lot quicker than I thought

vCash
    All I know is I'm watching Surly fund $10k per TE in less than a month. I bring the idea over here and to 6pack and all I can say is everyone just complains we cant do that..we poorh.

When the Hell is Mississippi GONNA STOP Mississippi'ng and figure out we can do what others do. Do we start with pledging a total of 70k? Not likely. But Someone needs to get this sh!t setup and going for next year.
    Hell as others said. Let's start it off with baseball because something can likely get going in time for the spring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    The University should take 1 million from the athletic fund for each Big 4 sport and use for NIL. Or take $5 from each ticket sold and put towards NIL. We just have to help ourselves.
    If I'm paying for a ticket why couldn't I say a portion go towards NIL? Do I need to start an LLC and have fans donate $5 and then utilize for NIL?

Banned
    vCash
    If I'm paying for a ticket why couldn't I say a portion go towards NIL? Do I need to start an LLC and have fans donate $5 and then utilize for NIL?
    You shouldn't have to. We're about to see if IB has what it takes. Any AD not on top of this needs replacing immediately.

vCash
    The first part no. The second, yeah I think that's legal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    You shouldn't have to. We're about to see if IB has what it takes. Any AD not on top of this needs replacing immediately.
    How is he supposed to do it?? He can't have anything to do with it.

vCash
    Honestly, from a football perspective only what kind of roi would a business get from using one of our current players?? Dak would have done well but we don't have a dak. I never thought this was a good idea for us.
    Alumni would support a business that supported our school. If you are a starkville business that is dependent on the university and activity created by the university (which is going to be most businesses), you should probably be willing to put a decent amount into this, as the football team tanking is most likely going to hit your business pretty hard.

vCash
    This doesn't really change anything. If we don't have anyone currently on our roster more marketable/big time than that, it means we aren't getting better players anyway. We will keep getting the same quality, as will Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Alumni would support a business that supported our school. If you are a starkville business that is dependent on the university and activity created by the university (which is going to be most businesses), you should probably be willing to put a decent amount into this, as the football team tanking is most likely going to hit your business pretty hard.
    Sure. But the ones they would use wouldn't be gaining anything. And certainly not any large amount of money. I'll use two examples, little dooey they wouldn't sell 1000k worrh of more food if they had NIL deal w will Rogers. The lodge, same way. There has to be a net gain for the business or at worst a draw unless you just like to throw your money away. And obviously, most well run businesses don't.

vCash
    How is he supposed to do it?? He can't have anything to do with it.
    I don't think a lot of folks understand the NIL money doesn't come from the school. This is setup so the player can get his own endorsements and be paid for it(i.e. cards, images, ads,whatever). The school isn't going to be paying the players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I get this mentality, but it doesn't have to be like that.

If we tried....just tried!....a little bit more...just a little...we could absolutely move up a peg or two. Taking what scraps are given to you and accepting the status quo is such a Larry Templeton move. Hell, for MSU it goes decades before him. How many years did we sell our home games to play in Jackson instead? How many decades did we accept having to play Bama, Georgia, LSU, while OM campaigned to have their schedule as lean as possible? Considering how old our football program is, and the fact we really only started giving a **** since the 1990's, it's a wonder we've accomplished what we have in such a short time, lol.
    We just don?t have an administration that wants to make this a priority.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I don't think a lot of folks understand the NIL money doesn't come from the school. This is setup so the player can get his own endorsements and be paid for it(i.e. cards, images, ads,whatever). The school isn't going to be paying the players.
    Agree, but I doubt Cohen has reached out to many donors to do something. Someone has to organize. If each alumni chapter raised $5,000, that would be better than we are currently.

vCash
    This may be ancient news to some on here, but we DID have a pretty good network in the Tyler era. I know because I was in it. So to say we can't is just not true. It requires organization and people keeping their mouth shut (which seems to be a big problem with message boards and such).
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Sure. But the ones they would use wouldn't be gaining anything. And certainly not any large amount of money. I'll use two examples, little dooey they wouldn't sell 1000k worrh of more food if they had NIL deal w will Rogers. The lodge, same way. There has to be a net gain for the business or at worst a draw unless you just like to throw your money away. And obviously, most well run businesses don't.
    It may not make a big different to lil dooey's, but for restaurants in general in Starkville, there is a big difference between averaging 7 wins over five years and 5 wins over five years. Same thing for the hotels. Same thing for developers doing condos and multiuse buidlings. Landlords, etc. Doesn't mean they need to pony up $10k a year, but they should be ponying up some unless they are in every SEC town and view it as pretty much zero sum.

Banned
    vCash
    So what's stopping a cigar boy from going to a restaurant owner with a $20K check and asks if he'll use it for advertising. After T.V. station is paid, rest goes to our players in the commercial. Is it that simple?