Thread: Matt Wyatt Episode 7 - OL Talk

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

Matt Wyatt Episode 7 - OL Talk

First, Matt Wyatt is seriously putting together some good stuff here. If you do not know, it is a podcast called "Better Than Average".
    Out of our OL, we only have one player starting at the same position they are playing on Saturday.

Redshirt Freshman Charles Cross at LT is the only person on our OL that has started a game at the same position. 13 starts.
    OL Total starting experience, 28 combined starts.

Ole Miss - 62
    Bama - 54
    aTm - 40
    MSU - 28

Wyatt makes the argument, we need to let these guys grow. Croom said you can't rush experience.
    They are talented, but remember they are going to get better as the season goes.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    And Will can't make a sandwich back there in the pocket. He has to get the ball out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    First, Matt Wyatt is seriously putting together some good stuff here. If you do not know, it is a podcast called "Better Than Average".
    Out of our OL, we only have one player starting at the same position they are playing on Saturday.

Redshirt Freshman Charles Cross at LT is the only person on our OL that has started a game at the same position. 13 starts.

Ole Miss - 62
    Bama - 54
    aTm - 40
    MSU - 28

Wyatt makes the argument, we need to let these guys grow. Croom said you can't rush experience.
    They are talented, but remember they are going to get better as the season goes.
    Did Sharpe not start at center last year when Cole was benched? Or was Cole never benched to start the game and Sharpe replaced him mid game because of snapping problems (and blocking problems too I guess).

Man, that depth chart does not give me the warm and fuzzies. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about our defense after how they performed last year with fewer known players, but lot of unknowns on both sides of the ball seems like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post

Ole Miss - 62
    Bama - 54
    aTm - 40
    MSU - 28

If the the current starters play the first 2 games, that is +10, putting us at 38 or about where ATM is starting the season.

2games behind ATM
    4games behind Bama
    6games behind OM

So about 1/2 a season of experience behind. Acknowledge they are picking up new games as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Did Sharpe not start at center last year when Cole was benched? Or was Cole never benched to start the game and Sharpe replaced him mid game because of snapping problems (and blocking problems too I guess).

Man, that depth chart does not give me the warm and fuzzies. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about our defense after how they performed last year with fewer known players, but lot of unknowns on both sides of the ball seems like.
    I had wondered last year with Sharpe being HS teammate of Kylin, if there was difficulty during those Kylin early games of also a buy in from Sharpe as well. Nothing bad, but was not sure if that caused any doghouse issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post

You're thinking of James Jackson who replaced Cole at center for a game or so. Sharp never played center.

vCash
    I am not too worried about the OL. They will get it together. I acutally like the fact that they all moved positions. Their new spots may suit them more than their old spots. Lashly's career is like a weird tragic story, that has this prime opportunity to turn it around. I can picture his career if he would have came here initially. It's like seeing a girl you haven't seen in a while and she put on a ton of weight. You can still see the skinny hot girl on the inside, hidden behind all that weight. Sad.

Other than that, again, Matt Wyatt is putting out the best content on our team. Thoughtful insights and honest breakdowns of our team and the situation they find themselves in. We have an opportunity to do something this year, built off of the invaluable experience this young team acquired last year. I am sure every team would try to say this, but we were really the youngest team in the nation last year.
    QB - True Freshman
    RB 1 and 2 - True Freshmen
    Practically the entire defense outside of Thompson were brand new and ballers.
    Best 2 returning WRs - both true freshmen

on and on and on. They played against an all SEC schedule too, except the bowl game.

We have an opportunity to make some plays, beat some people we shouldn't, and compete.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I will add to that, this year is a stepping stone to next year. Keep adding pieces and next year we will have a solid core of upper classmen with hopefully top talent coming in behind them.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Lashley and Sharp are 6th year seniors I believe. Kam Jones started most games last year. Dolla Bill is his 4th year at MSU. Cross started every game last year as you said. This is a veteran Oline.

vCash
    We gonna lose at least 3 starters off the OL for next year. We need to build depth this year for next
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I threw up because you mentioned croom. Why!?!?!?!!!