Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 all offensive snaps vs UGA, well worth the 12 minutes.

vCash

2020 all offensive snaps vs UGA, well worth the 12 minutes.

Take note of all the Fr making plays... In the SEC, on the road, with 1/2 a roster.

Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Here's something people have to understand about that:

While it appears the 3-8 sagging D forcing the O to dink and dunk all the way down the field gives Leach problems- all teams cant do this. Georgia is the perfect example. They are an attacking type of D. Aggressive. Thats how they play, its what they recruit to, and its what makes them successful. Taking an aggressive, GATA group and asking them to suddenly play soft and passive makes them worse. Once Kirby said **** this passive bullshit- the game changed.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

While it appears the 3-8 sagging D forcing the O to dink and dunk all the way down the field gives Leach problems- all teams cant do this. Georgia is the perfect example. They are an attacking type of D. Aggressive. Thats how they play, its what they recruit to, and its what makes them successful. Taking an aggressive, GATA group and asking them to suddenly play soft and passive makes them worse. Once Kirby said **** this passive bullshit- the game changed.
    In I thought the receivers did a better job of finding the open space in the zone. While I agree that Kirby made some good adjustments to confuse will I also think this game showed some promise for our offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    In I thought the receivers did a better job of finding the open space in the zone. While I agree that Kirby made some good adjustments to confuse will I also think this game showed some promise for our offense.
    I hear ya but the fact that we only scored 24 as well on Mississippi a couple of weeks later- which had one of the worst defenses in SEC history in 2020- shows that it was really more of an abberation than progress

vCash
    I cant be the only one who thinks Johnson is better than Marks, atleast last year. Johnson ran with some damn authority. Marks seemed like the first person who touched him brought him down.

I thought our O line played a good game also.

vCash

Kirby actually said postgame that every time they went man coverage, we burned them

Smart also cautioned against man-to-man defense, noting that’s how LSU lost against Mississippi State with KJ Costello under center back in Week 1. He said man-to-man coverage is what Georgia brought when the defense was torched by Rogers’ 51-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter.

“It was like ‘Golly, as soon as you go to change it up, bam, they hit you,’” Smart said. “It’s just not worth it.”
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I hear ya but the fact that we only scored 24 as well on Mississippi a couple of weeks later- which had one of the worst defenses in SEC history in 2020- shows that it was really more of an abberation than progress
    Would you feel differently if we didn't fumble at the 1 yard line & scored 32 instead?

I think we were trying to figure things out last year & everyone was seeing these defenses for the 1st time vs this offense. I believe this year, they'll have a much better idea of what to do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    I cant be the only one who thinks Johnson is better than Marks, atleast last year. Johnson ran with some damn authority. Marks seemed like the first person who touched him brought him down.

Marks is more talented, but, as you mentioned, he was light last year. He's gained 15 lbs over the off season, so he should now look much better than Johnson

Johnson simply had a more mature body last year, but Marks is quicker & faster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post

I agree with you too. Johnson is a special kid too from a character standpoint. Listen to his interviews. He will be an nfl back.

vCash
    That throw to Walley at 6:25 is wool inducing, not gonna lie.

vCash
    We have a good problem with Marks and Johnson. Yeah, everything being told from camp says Marks isn’t even close to the same player he was last year.

vCash
    Lots of missed OL blocks on bubbles too...not to mention the no context sack to end the game, lol. Lets hope the line is vastly improved this year.

vCash
    Our points per game almost doubled once we made the full time switch from Costello to Rogers.

First 5 games - 14.8 PPG (and that somehow includes 44 against LSU)

Last 6 games - 26.8 PPG

Turnovers went down significantly in that stretch too. That?s not to say our offense was perfect with Rogers, certainly we still have a good bit to prove, but we pretty clearly made some improvements in the back half of the schedule. C34 wants to keep bringing up the Egg Bowl as a black mark but we also scored more points against Mizzou than they allowed all season, and were above Georgia and Tulsa?s season average for points allowed, both Top 30 defenses.

We were never better than a mixed bag offensively, but I think you saw enough glimpses from the young skill players last year to feel like there is reason to believe things can run much more smoothly in Years 2 and 3.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 08-28-2021 at 02:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Our points per game almost doubled once we made the full time switch from Costello to Rogers.

First 5 games - 14.8 PPG (and that somehow includes 44 against LSU)

Last 6 games - 26.8 PPG

Turnovers went down significantly in that stretch too. That?s not to say our offense was perfect with Rogers, certainly we still have a good bit to prove, but we pretty clearly made some improvements in the back half of the schedule. C34 wants to keep bringing up the Egg Bowl as a black mark but we also scored more points against Mizzou than they allowed all season, and were above Georgia and Tulsa?s season average for points allowed, both Top 30 defenses.

We were never better than a mixed bag offensively, but I think you saw enough glimpses from the young skill players last year to feel like there is reason to believe things can run much more smoothly in Years 2 and 3.
    Ive kept my mouth shut long enough. Im like ifyouonly, mike leach would not have been my first choice. A friend and former dog player was fired up. I was not. My exact quote to him was leach will only be successful if he develops a running game.

That said, last year was a cluster. So much so that you can take every stat and throw it in the garbage. Never in the history of college football has something like that happened.

Now, what do I expect to see this year? Hell if I know. I paid zero attention last year and the only thing I?ve seen has been film. Particularly this one.

The scheme works. 34 can blow all the negative hot air he wants. Watch this film. Wyatt is right. You?ve got a bunch of freshmen that dont know what in the **** they?re doing. That goes for OL too.

The play design is impeccable. The execution is not. Several plays the qb holds the ball too long with wide open crossing routes.

What we dont know, nor does 34 no matter how hard he protests otherwise, is what the hell that goes on in the meeting room. We don?t know 1) the calls 2) the checks and 3) the freedom the qb has to check. Is it on leach? Is it on the qb? We don?t know.

So, that said???it?s up to every man to make his own way. As the blind man once said, we shall see.

vCash
    I will say this - if this is an "average" qb playing as a true freshman, give me average all day! Will is about to make some people look silly...

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I will say this - if this is an "average" qb playing as a true freshman, give me average all day! Will is about to make some people look silly...
    I'm surprised true freshman is not mentioned as frequently regarding Will. For 50 straight years I've had nothing but full blown preseason wool despite decades of shit with good stuff too. I will roll that way till the end, keeping the faith. I don't see how the negatives enjoy it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    I'm surprised true freshman is not mentioned as frequently regarding Will. For 50 straight years I've had nothing but full blown preseason wool despite decades of shit with good stuff too. I will roll that way till the end, keeping the faith. I don't see how the negatives enjoy it.
    Same here. I'll always look on the bright side and expect the best.

And, I believe this was the first time in his career Leach had to go with a true freshman QB.

People expecting 4th year offensive production out of an OL that had a different starting line up in 8 out of 11 games and a true freshman QB need a major reality check.

vCash
    UGA wasn't successful because they got aggressive. As Shotgun said Kirby himself said M2M was a mistake. UGA was successful because our own mistakes. At 9:45 Will throws a pick (dropped) but the outside man was open if he threw it hard. 10:30 a promising screen gets blown up because Payton completely missed his guy. 10:35 we get sacked on a 3rd and 5 because Kam Jones (who got beat out this fall btw) whiffed on his man. 11:00 Payton again missed his block, and if he makes that the RB probably turns the corner for a 1st down. 11:11 our true Fr RB set his feet too close to the QB and wasn't strong enough to fend off the rusher. This year with extra muscle and coaching he'll likely be able to give Rogers space and time. 11:31 our OL was trotting and didn't get to his block, and yes he absolutely could have made it. 11:55 Cross gets demolished.

Every one of those came on drives late where we didn't score, and every one of those were OUR mistakes, that WE can easily clean up. It wasn't X's and O's that beat us, it was our inability to execute plays that would work if we could block who we were supposed too.

Payton is gone, Kam Jones got beat out, Marks and Johnson are stronger, Will has experience, Cross has experience, WR's have more time in the system, and we won't be playing with 43 SCHOLARSHIP ATHLETES!!!

We scored when we executed our blocks, we stalled when we missed them. It had nothing to do with windows being too tight, the blocking scheme confusing anyone, the system being Moorhead level complicated so the guys don't understand it, or what the defense did. Block the guy in front of you and those last 3ish drives don't stall. End of story
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 08-28-2021 at 10:51 AM.

vCash
    We ran the ball against Mizzou and Tulsa and that gives me hope. We'll know alot more in 2 weeks.

If he tweaks- we'll be fine. If not? Constant turmoil

vCash
    We ran the ball against Mizzou and Tulsa and that gives me hope. We'll know alot more in 2 weeks.

If he tweaks- we'll be fine. If not? Constant turmoil
    Practice reports are that we're running some options, shovels, and zone reads. It's pretty clear he's adapting. He may not be good at implementing run stuff, or he may not adapt enough, but he is adapting

But lets not forget that running only really worked vs Mizzou, just like passing only really worked vs LSU and first 3 Qs vs UGA. It's not like defenses were giving us 6 yards up the middle every play but we wouldn't call a run play, we got stuffed doing that too. Nothing really "worked" last year, because we were a team of inexperienced Fr and the OL sucked. We have a lot more experience and time in the system and we've upgraded the OL, specifically Lashely over Jones. We have no excuse to not be better at everything we try this year, though I do hope we have more run variety mixed in