Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's say Leach goes 6-6 this season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    And Dan Mullen showed us it was possible to go 5-7 in year 8, and squeak into a bowl win due to academics. Why is year 2 for Leach a different standard?
    different standard how? Mullen went 9-4 his 2nd season at MSU and Leach didn't inherit near the same mess. I would love to give you an answer, but I don't understand your point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    different standard how? Mullen went 9-4 his 2nd season at MSU and Leach didn't inherit near the same mess. I would love to give you an answer, but I don't understand your point.
    I could argue that Leach inherited a stained locker-room. There were some rotten apples on this team and it took time to clean the cupboard.

We were a run heavy team when Mullberger took over, and his transition to his power run system was pretty seamless. The transition from whatever it was that Moorhead runs to what Leach runs is much drastic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I could argue that Leach inherited a stained locker-room. There were some rotten apples on this team and it took time to clean the cupboard.

We were a run heavy team when Mullberger took over, and his transition to his power run system was pretty seamless. The transition from whatever it was that Moorhead runs to what Leach runs is much drastic.
    everyone says Leach makes a big jump in year 2. shouldn't we expect the same? UK and Vandy in the East. 4 winnable non conference games. UK, Arkansas, and Ole Miss not at their best. AU and LSU not at their peaks. Guys it doesn't get any easier than this for us.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I?m fine with 6-6, especially with a win over the Sharks. I hate the bastards.

vCash
    He deserves 3 years regardless with his proven track record and the fact that he dropped into the SEC in the middle of Covid. If there is no improvement by the end of season 3 then he gone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Depends on how we look doing it. If we have to check down every other play or we can't guard 3, then it'll be pretty evident it's not going to work.

If we move the ball effectively but lose some close ones, then I'd be okay with it.
    This is the correct & most logical answer.

What if we win 6 but lose on 3 last second field goals?

Context matters infinitely
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post

This narrative has been so overblown. The locker room wasn't the best but it wasn't this cesspool some want to make it.

vCash
    everyone says Leach makes a big jump in year 2. shouldn't we expect the same?
    Statistically it's year 3 he makes the "big" jump. But year 2 must show significant improvement, zero doubt about it.

vCash
    I?d be very happy at 6-6. That?d mean the offense performed better than expected

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    I?d be very happy at 6-6. That?d mean the offense performed better than expected
    Really? I think you could draw a coach's name out of a hat and he could go 6-6 with this team and this schedule.

vCash
    everyone says Leach makes a big jump in year 2. shouldn't we expect the same? UK and Vandy in the East. 4 winnable non conference games. UK, Arkansas, and Ole Miss not at their best. AU and LSU not at their peaks. Guys it doesn't get any easier than this for us.
    ^^^THIS^^^

I don't understand the fear and loathing we have for our opponents. Except for Bammer, there's no team on our schedule that can't be beaten if we have our pads and hats screwed on right. Would I be satisfied with 6 wins, hell no. The football team needs to take a lesson from the baseball team and just get it done. 8-4 should be the minimum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The consensus here seems to be 7-8 wins. Vastly improved O and a good D

What if we go 6-6 and 2-6 in the SEC with wins over Vandy and Mississippi? I add the win over Mississippi because if we lose that one its going to be a long offseason unless we already had 7 wins going into the game. Would 6-6/2-6 make you feel the program was headed in the right direction?
    This is a trap question that you want to use as a "gotcha!" later. Not all 6-6 seasons are created equally. You have to evaluate the season after the fact, once you have all the data. Trying to set the bar before the season isn't helpful.

Btw: My prediction is 6-6. I'm also in the camp of being dubious that Leach can reproduce his past results in the present SEC. We'll see what happens. Your question is still a non starter to me, even though I think we have similar expectations regarding this year....and Leach overall.

vCash
    I don't know, ask me again at the end of the year. I think that I would be disappointed in 6-6 even with an OM win but I probably could stomach it. That would mean beating at least two of these teams in NC State, OM, ARk, KY, LSU or Auburn.

That could be OK but I would not be excited but give me another bowl win, then yes. I think I would be OK with it.

You give me 3 of those at 7-5, Vandy and the OOC games. Then yes, no matter which three it turned out to be. I think I would feel a lot better, I Know I would if one were OM and then a bowl win.

I don't expect any better than that, anything more and you may have get me out of the clouds.

vCash
    If Leach evolves his offense like EVERY other coach under him has done, then my opinion will change.
    Those coaches that have "evolved their offenses" have not generated better results as a head college football coach or really even better offenses than Leach, aside from Riley who is in a different category because he was given keys to a Ferrari.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    Based on your scenario, that would mean we lost to Kentucky and Arkansas at home and the only home conference win at home is Ole Miss. To me that would be disappointing. At a minimum, we should get 3 conference wins this year imo.
    We play at UPIg don?t we?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    You said 6-6 would not be progressing after a 3-7 season. You inferred that Mullen built up a program to a point that we should not have a 6-6 season. My point was that as late as his 8th year, Mullen had a season worse than what you claim would not be progress. So you are holding Leach to a different standard.

And personally, I think Leach inherited as much of a mess as Mullen.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 08-26-2021 at 05:19 PM.

vCash
    The point is obvious. So you are saying Dan inherited a mess but managed to win 9 games, making him, presumably, a great coach. So what in the world happened to his greatness 6 years later? Guess he created his own mess?

vCash
    I’m just going to make a general reply to a few. I’m not trying to trap anything here- just gauging people’s stance right here before kickoff. We can all agree that nobody really would be disappointed at 7-5. That’s a solid Year 2

Thing is- we really have a schedule this year that is built for 8-9 wins. Play really well against NC St, LSU, Kentucky, UPig, and Mississippi? We can bag those 5 wins. Then Throw in Vandy plus the other 3 OOC’s and you’re at 9 wins. We likely won’t see a schedule this friendly again for quite some time.

6-6 would be rather meh in my opinion. If we make the strides in the Air Raid along with a solid D then it’s an 8 win season. 6-6 would be an absolute lack of progress. We have 4 wins on the schedule that just requires the bus to get to the stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You said 6-6 would not be progressing after a 3-7 season. .
    Would 2-6 in the SEC be an improvement over 3-7 in the SEC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Would 2-6 in the SEC be an improvement over 3-7 in the SEC?
    One less win, one less loss... meh.