Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIL and the Portal

vCash

NIL and the Portal

I've brought this up before, and unfortunately my concerns are quickly coming to reality. I see no way the NIL and the current structure of the portal can coexist together. For us, our best players will be poached every year to follow the money. There is very little incentive for a Walley or a Pickering to stay here if they can move to a Florida state, Miami, or Texas if they get offered a better value there for their last 1-2 seasons. I mean, this completely ends it for us if not changed, in my opinion. The portal will no longer work for us if we can't cough up the sponsorship to equal competition as well. Y'all's thoughts?

vCash
    Technically... You aren't allowed to make an agreement with an athlete till they are on campus. Using nli as a recruiting tool is against the law.
    But I get what you are saying. Especially if say Bama has every player sponsored. Or all of a certain position.. Sometimes promises don't need to be made if you can put the pieces together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Technically... You aren't allowed to make an agreement with an athlete till they are on campus. Using nli as a recruiting tool is against the law.
    But I get what you are saying. Especially if say Bama has every player sponsored. Or all of a certain position.. Sometimes promises don't need to be made if you can put the pieces together
    Because everyone usually plays by the rules** NIL will be 95% a recruiting tool.

vCash
    Yeah we're done in football unless something changes. It's sad but that's what it's come to. Better stick with baseball. We are going to need to add a lot more seats because I feel football is going to have a lot of empty ones if it keeps going this direction

vCash
    I really don't see why a starter or player that plays a lot, would leave a power 5 program.
    I agree completely if they are not playing, or not playing as much as they want, but that was true without NIL.

For instance, Why would Walley leave an system that will get him 40+ catches a year where he is a starter?

If Pickering is starting, why would he leave? If he isn't, why would FSU or Texas want an MSU backup for big money?

On the flip side, say bama has 4 future 1st round WR and some 5* true freshman than cannot get into the 2 deep, think he might want to look at an Air Raid system? Or maybe a 4* T that cannot get on the field?

It's not the starters, it's the depth that will be the big changes.

vCash
    Let's not kid ourselves; it's going to happen a handful of times in the first several years of this, regardless of how much or how little sense it makes. We can only hope (and I do believe this is how it will shake out) that once the dust of this initial frenzy settles, guys will start heeding the negative examples of the ones who jumping worked out poorly for, and things will end up more or less how they were before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    I really don't see why a starter or player that plays a lot, would leave a power 5 program.
    I agree completely if they are not playing, or not playing as much as they want, but that was true without NIL.

For instance, Why would Walley leave an system that will get him 40+ catches a year where he is a starter?

If Pickering is starting, why would he leave? If he isn't, why would FSU or Texas want an MSU backup for big money?

On the flip side, say bama has 4 future 1st round WR and some 5* true freshman than cannot get into the 2 deep, think he might want to look at an Air Raid system? Or maybe a 4* T that cannot get on the field?

It's not the starters, it's the depth that will be the big changes.
    Money. Money. Money.

Let's say Texas is a top 5 team with one or two more key pieces... you don't think they will throw the bank at the right guys to come over? And they are gonna look at places where they can outcompete sponsorships the easiest. They will look for SEC quality players from low tier money schools. Like us....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post

You think the "rules" regarding NIL and player contact will stop the "cheaters". If rules did not stop them before do you really think it will now?

Cheaters will be cheaters!

vCash
    One solution would be to require NIL contracts to last the duration of a players tenure once agreed upon but player would be considered a professional once they transferred and thus ineligible to play afterwards. This would keep boosters from throwing too much money at unproven recruits and would make kids realize they can't just bounce around abd follow the money. The kids would also be able to move in and out of contracts as long as they stayed at the same school. To allow for them to increase their revenue. This would also protect kids with career altering injuries wow.
    Last edited by Cowbell; 08-25-2021 at 08:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Because everyone usually plays by the rules** NIL will be 95% a recruiting tool.
    Now that is funny right there - rules and NIL in the same sentence.

Like the judge who asked the terrorist, didn't they ask you if you had a weapon before you loaded the plane? Terrorist, yes I lied.

Whatever rules NIL has, it is so broad and open ended and no governing body anymore. There are no rules.

vCash

Yea, why leave State when he can go to a 'Top 5' school, catch 40 + take home $20K and a nice ride?

Who would want that?
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Money. Money. Money.

Let's say Texas is a top 5 team with one or two more key pieces... you don't think they will throw the bank at the right guys to come over? And they are gonna look at places where they can outcompete sponsorships the easiest. They will look for SEC quality players from low tier money schools. Like us....
    You don't think our players will get any money?

And you dont think Texas might look to players like that at UH, or in state texas players first?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Yea, why leave State when he can go to a 'Top 5' school, catch 40 + take home $20K and a nice ride?

Who would want that?
    Now, fly your parents to every game and make them pay for a hotel in Austin every weekend. See how much of that $20k is left.

Oh and add in the money he'll make here too.

vCash
    You don't think our players will get any money?

And you dont think Texas might look to players like that at UH, or in state texas players first?
    You think we can match a Texas or Florida Stare? Why would they look in state first - I said SEC caliber players. That ain't at UH...

vCash
    I've brought this up before, and unfortunately my concerns are quickly coming to reality. I see no way the NIL and the current structure of the portal can coexist together. For us, our best players will be poached every year to follow the money. There is very little incentive for a Walley or a Pickering to stay here if they can move to a Florida state, Miami, or Texas if they get offered a better value there for their last 1-2 seasons. I mean, this completely ends it for us if not changed, in my opinion. The portal will no longer work for us if we can't cough up the sponsorship to equal competition as well. Y'all's thoughts?
    I don't see like that. I cannot believe a star at Mississippi State will leave to go play at Bama. A star at State is most likely an NFL player very soon. Why go to Bama where he would not be guaranteed a starting position? His draft stock might plummet.

NIL monies are the bigger deal. I can easily see NIL monies for Walk-ons straight out of HS at Bama which would effectively give them even more scholarships.

I think the portal will be good for State, there will be some guys leaving for various reasons that can help us. The NIL may good for baseball but it could crush us in football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    I don't see like that. I cannot believe a star at Mississippi State will leave to go play at Bama. A star at State is most likely an NFL player very soon. Why go to Bama where he would not be guaranteed a starting position? His draft stock might plummet.

NIL monies are the bigger deal. I can easily see NIL monies for Walk-ons straight out of HS at Bama which would effectively give them even more scholarships.

I think the portal will be good for State, there will be some guys leaving for various reasons that can help us. The NIL may good for baseball but it could crush us in football.
    You don't think a player would leave if he could get a $1 million NIL deal like the Alabama QB?

vCash
    You think we can match a Texas or Florida Stare? Why would they look in state first - I said SEC caliber players. That ain't at UH...
    And I said "do you don't think our players will get any money?"

Getting paid in Starkville, makes the cost for getting paid in Austin or Tallahassee MORE.

I'll put it this way, I'll wager you could get a job RIGHT NOW, in Austin for more than you are making. Why are you not moving to Austin?

And UH has players that Texas would want. and they would look there first.

Like when we had Jeff Simmons, UH had Ed Oliver. Texas would have absolutely gone after Oliver over Simmons....

And this year they might look at 2020 First Team All American Marcus Jones over Jaden Walley....
    Last edited by SheltonChoked; 08-26-2021 at 11:54 AM.

vCash
    You don't think a player would leave if he could get a $1 million NIL deal like the Alabama QB?
    You think one of our QB's would be able to transfer in and be QB1 at Bama? Because, if it's true, they are not giving that money to QB2.... And If it's true, Bama won't have ANYONE leave early for the draft anymore....

And again, why are you assuming we won't have any NIL money going to our players....

vCash
    nope not a chance. A Guy like that would be a 1st round pick and worth millions in the NFL. Signing bonus alone is way more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post

You're dead on about Alabama having even more players now.

I think you're not looking at it right about our players leaving.
    It's going to be more like ole Miss needs a star receiver because their top guy left, so they get a couple of their current players to "hang out" with our guy. Then our guy decides to transfer there. It's already happening but now once he "decides" to transfer there, he can get paid for his likeness aka paid for leaving and as dirty as it looks, they've done nothing wrong that you can prove/get them in trouble. Where as before, they had to be more careful of how they paid those guys.
    Don't think places like Auburn won't do the same thing if there is any way they can pull it off.