Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt's Latest Better Than Average: Second Scrimmage

vCash

Matt's Latest Better Than Average: Second Scrimmage

Everybody clutching pearls after the second scrimmage please go and listen to Episode 5 of BTA. Matt breaks down a lot from the second scrimmage. He was there. We are doing a lot of situational football. The defense was dropping off into zone coverage more. Arnett has been throwing a lot of disguised blitzes against the 1st team OL. They're picking a lot of them up. Matt had a lot of good things to say about the 1st team OL and Will's decision making. There's plenty more he said but do yourself a favor and listen to it.

vCash
    If I heard a media personality say "we suck this year" I'd pay whatever subscription they were asking for. It doesn't happen in any fanbase, everyone is always "showing promise", every bad position group is "very improved over last year", etc.

Arnett thew Blitzes at them, and dropped into zone? Wow! That excuses a bad offensive performance, it's not like SEC teams will throw creative blitzes of their own at us, or drop into zone.

The offense may be fine, but no I don't believe a media guy who makes a living largely by info he gets because he's tight with the administration.

Will completed less than 50% of his passes and thew a pic, vs a defense he knew couldn't touch him. I'll believe he's a really good decision maker when I see it in SEC play this year
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 08-23-2021 at 08:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    If I heard a media personality say "we suck this year" I'd pay whatever subscription they were asking for. It doesn't happen in any fanbase, everyone is always "showing promise", every bad position group is "very improved over last year", etc.

Arnett thew Blitzes at them, and dropped into zone? Wow! That excuses a bad offensive performance, it's not like SEC teams will throw creative blitzes of their own at us, or drop into zone.

The offense may be fine, but no I don't believe a media guy who makes a living largely by info he gets because he's tight with the administration.

Will completed less than 50% of his passes and thew a pic, vs a defense he knew couldn't touch him. I'll believe he's a really good decision maker when I see it in SEC play this year
    It may be true that Matt errs to the sunshine side, but it's just as misleading to paint a scrimmage as an indication of a comprehensive offensive performance. Scrimmage offensive stats are never great. Will might know the defense can't touch him, but at the same time the defense knows what's coming when different situations are being repped multiple times consecutively.

vCash

Dude, switch to decaf or take a ****ing Xanax. Jesus.

Yeah, I'm sure Matt spends all his ****ing time thinking of ways blow smoke up his listeners' asses.

If you'd listen to Matt break down those stats for thirty minutes - cause his ass was there - maybe you'd actually understand those scrimmage stats are deceiving.

vCash

Yep I'm with you. This is just like a spring game in a way but we looked like crap there too. At some point, you practice how you play. Are we just gonna figure it out the day before a game?

Yep PR stuff gotta give people hope to keep buying. We'll know by end of Sept where we are.

vCash

Only at MSU would you see fans wanting our media to report that we suck. And we wonder why we can?t recruit for football or win a PR battle?

vCash

I hope your family gets you a clarion ledger subscription for Christmas - you will love it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Only at MSU would you see fans wanting our media to report that we suck. And we wonder why we can?t recruit for football or win a PR battle?
    I don't think that was the point.

We do get glowing reports year-in, year-out. Moorhead was gonna kill it off practice reports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

We do get glowing reports year-in, year-out. Moorhead was gonna kill it off practice reports.
    I would wager the vast majority of "inside" guys even here were fooled by Moorhead's smoke and mirrors. Just about every pundit out there praising the hire didn't help with the trimming of the wool, either, lol. Plenty of people were snookered by that mook. I know I certainly was. It's not a sign of weakness admitting that, fyi....

I will say that I like Matt's commentary, mainly because he's actually a football guy, and can add analytical rigor to his discussion that others flatly can't. I certainly don't feel lied to by him. Others on our beat, not so much...

vCash

I really don't understand what y'all are expecting. Hopefully we win 6 games this year and build towards next year. I mean, we only won 4 games last year and the majority of our better players are in their second year. All you people expecting to win 10 every year are just fools. MSU will never be that program. I'm hoping for another Mullen type run with Leach except winning a few more games that we're not supposed to. And by the way, just because my expectations are not as high as yours, doesn't make me a bad fan, I'm just a realist.

vCash

Not from Wyatt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    I really don't understand what y'all are expecting. Hopefully we win 6 games this year and build towards next year. I mean, we only won 4 games last year and the majority of our better players are in their second year. All you people expecting to win 10 every year are just fools. MSU will never be that program. I'm hoping for another Mullen type run with Leach except winning a few more games that we're not supposed to. And by the way, just because my expectations are not as high as yours, doesn't make me a bad fan, I'm just a realist.
    You have to remember that some of the youngins on here never lived through the 2-9, 3-8, 1-10 years of MSU football. They have witnessed 11 straight bowl seasons, albeit 2 with losing records and one with a 6-6. But I digress. Anything less than whatever Ole Miss expected to do is unsatisfactory even though there has really only been 1 season in the past 30 where both programs have been really good at the same time. Historically, if they are up, we are average to mediocre. If they are down, we are average to pretty good. This will likely be their year, yet State may very well beat them with one of their best teams just like they beat us with one of our best. All that said, I ?expect? State to go 15-0.

vCash
    Where do you get I have high expectations? I'll take 7 wins right now
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-24-2021 at 06:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post

I will say that I like Matt's commentary, mainly because he's actually a football guy, and can add analytical rigor to his discussion that others flatly can't. I certainly don't feel lied to by him. Others on our beat, not so much...
    ^^^ this and I'll add that I usually see more wool here on this board than I do with Matt
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    You have to remember that some of the youngins on here never lived through the 2-9, 3-8, 1-10 years of MSU football. They have witnessed 11 straight bowl seasons, albeit 2 with losing records and one with a 6-6. But I digress. Anything less than whatever Ole Miss expected to do is unsatisfactory even though there has really only been 1 season in the past 30 where both programs have been really good at the same time. Historically, if they are up, we are average to mediocre. If they are down, we are average to pretty good. This will likely be their year, yet State may very well beat them with one of their best teams just like they beat us with one of our best. All that said, I ?expect? State to go 15-0.
    15-0 or bust! Let's go!

vCash
    Ain't no way in hell we win 10 games and I'm a sunshine pumper. We win 7 with a shot at 8 if things coalesce toward the end of the season. But this we're gonna be god awful on offense BS has got to stop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Ain't no way in hell we win 10 games and I'm a sunshine pumper. We win 7 with a shot at 8 if things coalesce toward the end of the season. But this we're gonna be god awful on offense BS has got to stop.
    Winning 10 games means that one QB is a Gardner Minshew clone and our defense is wrecking people. I think Will might be a good QB but I would be surprised if he is in the Heisman running even his senior year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    It may be true that Matt errs to the sunshine side, but it's just as misleading to paint a scrimmage as an indication of a comprehensive offensive performance. Scrimmage offensive stats are never great. Will might know the defense can't touch him, but at the same time the defense knows what's coming when different situations are being repped multiple times consecutively.
    Is this that different than the way it will be in the season? Unless we are literally calling out the plays for the defense to hear, they are going to be in the same situation as most defenses we play; they will be able to guess out of a few plays we might run, and we just have to execute to beat them, just like a triple option team.

vCash
    What would make us happy?

Do we actually want our media to come out and say we are going to suck? Would anyone actually read that? Would that automatically turn our tone around and everyone of us just fight to say " nah man, we are going to be great."

Or are we all looking for media people to say "hey our offense is still going to suck, but, at least our D is going to be fun to watch." Like what do you actually expect from media personality folks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Is this that different than the way it will be in the season? Unless we are literally calling out the plays for the defense to hear, they are going to be in the same situation as most defenses we play; they will be able to guess out of a few plays we might run, and we just have to execute to beat them, just like a triple option team.
    Our defense has been practicing against our offense every day for over two weeks and have watched film daily of themselves going against our offense. Our opponents will have watched other players play against it on film and practiced against their scout team running our looks.

Those two things are very very different.