Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't MSU fans band together for something like this...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Colleges were around before athletics. If college athletics were to move to the professional ranks, colleges will still be just fine! You are still missing the point of what a college (its charter, what is its purpose) is all about!

Colleges have morphed and not in a good way!
    Dead on cab. Just like many other things in our culture, we have lost our way.

High schools are now a joke of academic institutions and revolve around sports. Nothing else matters. Too many people would and have sold their soul for their sports team to win.

Reading, writing and basics all take a back seat now. I say this as a person who has played all sports and love sports but the priorities need to be corrected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    You are missing the point. It's DONE.
    Do you want us to drop down to d-2 instead? or do you want us to stay in the sec and compete.
    That's your opinion that it's changed in a not good way. I would say you are just being blind that it's been going on for a long time under the table.
    What is done can be undone too or modified. History is full of it.

Use that logic then everything going on is going on anyway so just have no laws and make everything legal. Murder, rape abuse, etc. all go on so just let it be if you apply that logic.

There must be order in an society if it is to be healthy. We are living in chaotic times and we are not healthy. Just look around.

Just because it's legal don't make it right either. Plenty of example here. When you have evil men making evil laws the outcome ain't good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    What is done can be undone too or modified. History is full of it.

Use that logic then everything going on is going on anyway so just have no laws and make everything legal. Murder, rape abuse, etc. all go on so just let it be if you apply that logic.

There must be order in an society if it is to be healthy. We are living in chaotic times and we are not healthy. Just look around.

Just because it's legal don't make it right either. Plenty of example here. When you have evil men making evil laws the outcome ain't good.
    holy sh!t. you and ExCab take your Old world mentality and go root for some other team. As you said, if players getting paid makes you sick... just leave because you will just be a hypocrite to watch the team in a couple of weeks.

vCash
    So you are saying. It's losing it's appeal. Because they are doing what every casual fan has always wanted to do.... be more invested.
    It's hard for me to believe we couldn't find 350 people (that's an example Surly is using) to pledge either $120, $300, or $600 or more to make MSU a better target for recruits once they sign with us.
    Let's say we went with all the CB's on the roster, which currently shows 8. could raise somewhere between 8-10k for each player. walk on or not. I'm not sure what we give our players in stipend but that's what Surly is using to say we will double it.
    And all they are asking the players to do in return is 1 30 minute interview after a game per year, 1 hour AMA on a private forum (only for people who donated) and then a 1 hour dinner for the top level donors (600 or more).

and this is just the start...
    You mean every college fan wants to give more of their hard earned money to entitled athletes who don't have to pay for their own school while the slave to pay for their own kids college?

Who are these people you speak of, I don't know any like that.

vCash
    holy sh!t. you and ExCab take your Old world mentality and go root for some other team. As you said, if players getting paid makes you sick... just leave because you will just be a hypocrite to watch the team in a couple of weeks.
    Wow, old world mentality?

Hypocrite? Do I get a free ticket? Nope I pay for it.

Why don't you turn over your paycheck to the sports program or you are a hypocrite if you feel so strong?

So the players are getting nothing all this time? A 200-300K education for free, everything given to them while they are there, every benefit under the sun, basically a guaranteed job when they leave. Yeah they been getting screwed all these years.

They want to get paid I have no issue - it is called pro sports. They are getting paid with a free education and setup for life.

vCash
    The knock on State fans has mostly been that we are low income, cheap folks that had to take out a second mortgage on our trailer just to get to OMAHA and sleep in a tent.

vCash
    I’m not cheap, I’m thrifty!

vCash
    If I pitch in, do I get a refund if said sponsored player.... "opts out" or skips practice for political reasons, etc. ???

In all seriousness, that's more likely the reason random people don't throw their money at a player trust fund.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I think you are overlooking the original intent of going to college in the first place. It is to get an EDUCATION! In days past, sports was considered Extra-Curricular and you had to qualify academically in order to participate in Extra-Curricular activities of any kind!

Now college has turned into the minor leagues! Any thug/wayward kid (and we can get into a long discussion on this) can get into college as long as he/she is a top rated athlete.

I propose college return to its original intent and the sports industry create a true minor league, independent of colleges, where all of the 4/5 star prospects can go and make money right out of high-school.

I would rather watch and support 1/2/3 star athletes who are getting a "TRUE" college education than watch/ support the destruction of amateur athletics as we are experiencing today.
    Then every college in the P5, should put their academic entrance requirements where they should be and in order to play you should be a walk on with a 28 on the ACT or 1250 on the SAT.
    College football hasn't been about education since the day they established athletic scholarships and ended true entrance academic requirements.
    Hell Ole Miss had an OT that couldn't even read. Not because he was dyslexic, but because the due literally couldn't read.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Wow, old world mentality?

Hypocrite? Do I get a free ticket? Nope I pay for it.

Why don't you turn over your paycheck to the sports program or you are a hypocrite if you feel so strong?

So the players are getting nothing all this time? A 200-300K education for free, everything given to them while they are there, every benefit under the sun, basically a guaranteed job when they leave. Yeah they been getting screwed all these years.

They want to get paid I have no issue - it is called pro sports. They are getting paid with a free education and setup for life.
    Free education isn't on par with what they are providing the college and the alumni/fans. Maybe it was at one point, then ESPN decided to pay conferences billions of dollars to put it on TV.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Maybe, just maybe, the conferences should establish a pay scale for student athletes based on their TV revenue? Why should the universities get a 50 million dollar check, when the 300 student athletes on campus could all earn a share of 10 million per school or ($33,333) dollars each player, each year. The school still gets 40 million and the athletes still get 10 million?

Could the university not agree to this, so they get use the likeness of the player throughout their career and after?
    Seems like a damn good perk. Also, players could then come in and earn as much money has they want above and beyond, based on their popularity.

Edited to add, then the students could pay their own tuition and could transfer anytime they want, just like any other student in the country.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    You need to give up college sports and root for a pro team!

Regarding my previous posts, I never said I refuse to watch college sports only that is is getting harder and harder to watch as time goes by. Will there be a time I get fed up and stop watching! At the rate of negative change, yes, there will come a day when I turn off college sports! The difference between college sports and pro sports is getting smaller and smaller and I already turned of pro sports years ago - they can all take a flying flip for all I care - they are all a bunch of entitled babies - spoiled brats.

Go ahead and support millionaires and yet you are a working man! What is wrong with that picture!

vCash
    How many student athletes do we have on campus? 250, 300, 400?
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Not understanding. Cigar Boys and handlers always had to cover their trails to stay clean. Now all they have to do now is write a check out of their personal account. So what's the problem?

vCash
    I think our 2 starting CBs are right up there with the best in the country. And neither of them even made All-SEC 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team by AP or coaches.
    It's downright crazy. Every WR that faced off with Emerson would say he is one of the best they've ever faced in straight coverage skills, and Forbes as a true FR had the most pick-6s in the country.

I'm not a "cigar boy"

BUT

I would love to be part of something that would get some $$$ in the pockets of those guys thru the NIL deal, as long as they continue to prove it on the field.
    Last edited by MaroonFlounder; 08-24-2021 at 02:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I think our 2 starting CBs are right up there with the best in the country. And neither of them even made All-SEC 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team by AP or coaches.
    It's downright crazy. Every WR that faced off with Emerson would say he is one of the best they've ever faced in straight coverage skills, and Forbes as a true FR had the most pick-6s in the country.

I'm not a "cigar boy"

BUT

I would love to be part of something that would get some $$$ in the pockets of those guys thru the NIL deal, as long as they continue to prove it on the field.
    That's the point. you can't do that. you can't say I'm gonna pay you per game performance. The sponsorship (to be big enough and worth the time and effort) would be for the full year and subject to be renewed.

vCash
    That's the point. you can't do that. you can't say I'm gonna pay you per game performance. The sponsorship (to be big enough and worth the time and effort) would be for the full year and subject to be renewed.
    Two clarifications.
    Pay for performance isn't allowed.
    Neither is offering an NLI deal as part of a recruiting inducement. But if a program is started for a position..and is continued the next year. the player should be able to put it together...

https://legiscan.com/MS/text/SB2313/2021

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Not understanding. Cigar Boys and handlers always had to cover their trails to stay clean. Now all they have to do now is write a check out of their personal account. So what's the problem?
    You still have fans that think all of the other teams get 4 and 5 stars by being cheaters and ours come for free. You can’t reason with people who actually think athletes haven’t been getting paid under the table (even by good ole MSU!) this entire time. They think this is all some big revelation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    You still have fans that think all of the other teams get 4 and 5 stars by being cheaters and ours come for free. You can’t reason with people who actually think athletes haven’t been getting paid under the table (even by good ole MSU!) this entire time. They think this is all some big revelation.
    NO, everybody knows and has for many years that the best players get money/gifts and the larger schools have deeper pockets. The thing is it used to be under the table, a taboo - against the rules, and for the average fan colleges had somewhat of a semblance of having STUDENT/ATHLETES (Student being first) or amateur athletes. That is not true anymore, they are now professionals whether they like it or not. They are getting payed, in the open like pro athletes. It takes some of the mystique and pageantry and just pure love of competition away from the game that used to be there. Now it is ALL about money and the original reason for attending college, an education, is gone.

vCash
    NO, everybody knows and has for many years that the best players get money/gifts and the larger schools have deeper pockets. The thing is it used to be under the table, a taboo - against the rules, and for the average fan colleges had somewhat of a semblance of having STUDENT/ATHLETES (Student being first) or amateur athletes. That is not true anymore, they are now professionals whether they like it or not. They are getting payed, in the open like pro athletes. It takes some of the mystique and pageantry and just pure love of competition away from the game that used to be there. Now it is ALL about money and the original reason for attending college, an education, is gone.
    Again. if you don't like it. find a new hobby. It's legal. it's done. College sports are big business and the athletes DESERVE to get a little cash out of it considering how much the NCAA and schools make on them each year.