Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't MSU fans band together for something like this...

vCash

Why can't MSU fans band together for something like this...

NLI - Surly "Burnt Ends" - Texas fans coming up with a way to sponsor the TE's
    Goal is to crowdsource $70k and divide it around the Tight Ends room. (10k each)
    Just got it approved by UT compliance. and had it 1/3 of the way funded before APPROVAL

67/150 for 10/mo or 120/yr

22/150 for 25/mo or 300/yr

17/50 for 50/mo or 600/yr

Why can't we be this organized...

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/ind...s-nil-program/
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 08-24-2021 at 11:59 AM.

vCash
    If we don't soon we'll be even more behind. Don't think the rebels aren't coming up with something as we speak

vCash
    Do I think we can do 7 players? Nope. But I feel confident we could put together enough for a couple of players.

What those guys are doing are giving every te on the roster at the start of the season 10k. It's already guaranteed and written up in the documents the athletes have signed.

Think about how much that could help in recruiting. If you sign with Texas or transfer in. You are gonna get 10k guaranteed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Do I think we can do 7 players? Nope. But I feel confident we could put together enough for a couple of players.

What those guys are doing are giving every te on the roster at the start of the season 10k. It's already guaranteed and written up in the documents the athletes have signed.

Think about how much that could help in recruiting. If you sign with Texas or transfer in. You are gonna get 10k guaranteed.
    We're going to have to put up more than just a couple of players.

vCash
    Honestly, we might have a better shot at getting Juco or transfer players and try to get a few key players. I don't think we have the money or just drive from alumni to wade into this pool. We have a better shot at building a dynasty in baseball than competing in football.

Edited to add: What I mean is be a high roller in getting Juco or transfer players and then spend the money on QBs, Oline, and DEs. We might can compete for a couple of players but a whole roster like that is going to be more than MSU guys will do.
    Last edited by Tbonewannabe; 08-24-2021 at 09:34 AM.

vCash

Wow! This is crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Wow! This is crazy.
    For an old guy like me, this is insane! College sports is very very rapidly losing its appeal!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Honestly, we might have a better shot at getting Juco or transfer players and try to get a few key players. I don't think we have the money or just drive from alumni to wade into this pool. We have a better shot at building a dynasty in baseball than competing in football.

Edited to add: What I mean is be a high roller in getting Juco or transfer players and then spend the money on QBs, Oline, and DEs. We might can compete for a couple of players but a whole roster like that is going to be more than MSU guys will do.
    Come to MSU thru the transfer portal, and you are guaranteed 10K. I can dig that.

vCash
    I don't know about y'all, but when I was in college giving me $10K might as well have been giving me a million dollars. I was just happy seeing triple digits in my account at any given time. And I'm not that old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    For an old guy like me, this is insane! College sports is very very rapidly losing its appeal!
    It's really messed up. I mean the whole point is "look at how much money the universities are making off these players" but it's not the universities that are going to pay them.

vCash
    A general surgeon at University, who is a UT graduate, told me just this weekend that the university reached out in regards to contributing to the NIL fund. Said the new department was created fairly quickly to get ahead of all of this for recruiting purposes.

vCash
    So you are saying. It's losing it's appeal. Because they are doing what every casual fan has always wanted to do.... be more invested.
    It's hard for me to believe we couldn't find 350 people (that's an example Surly is using) to pledge either $120, $300, or $600 or more to make MSU a better target for recruits once they sign with us.
    Let's say we went with all the CB's on the roster, which currently shows 8. could raise somewhere between 8-10k for each player. walk on or not. I'm not sure what we give our players in stipend but that's what Surly is using to say we will double it.
    And all they are asking the players to do in return is 1 30 minute interview after a game per year, 1 hour AMA on a private forum (only for people who donated) and then a 1 hour dinner for the top level donors (600 or more).

and this is just the start...

vCash
    So you are saying. It's losing it's appeal. Because they are doing what every casual fan has always wanted to do.... be more invested.
    It's hard for me to believe we couldn't find 350 people (that's an example Surly is using) to pledge either $120, $300, or $600 or more to make MSU a better target for recruits once they sign with us.
    Let's say we went with all the CB's on the roster, which currently shows 8. could raise somewhere between 8-10k for each player. walk on or not. I'm not sure what we give our players in stipend but that's what Surly is using to say we will double it.
    And all they are asking the players to do in return is 1 30 minute interview after a game per year, 1 hour AMA on a private forum (only for people who donated) and then a 1 hour dinner for the top level donors (600 or more).

I guess I disagree with your premise that every casual fan has always wanted to be more invested. I think this whole thing is fcked.

vCash

I think you are overlooking the original intent of going to college in the first place. It is to get an EDUCATION! In days past, sports was considered Extra-Curricular and you had to qualify academically in order to participate in Extra-Curricular activities of any kind!

Now college has turned into the minor leagues! Any thug/wayward kid (and we can get into a long discussion on this) can get into college as long as he/she is a top rated athlete.

I propose college return to its original intent and the sports industry create a true minor league, independent of colleges, where all of the 4/5 star prospects can go and make money right out of high-school.

I would rather watch and support 1/2/3 star athletes who are getting a "TRUE" college education than watch/ support the destruction of amateur athletics as we are experiencing today.

vCash
    I think you are overlooking the original intent of going to college in the first place. It is to get an EDUCATION! In days past, sports was considered Extra-Curricular and you had to qualify academically in order to participate in Extra-Curricular activities of any kind!

Now college has turned into the minor leagues! Any thug/wayward kid (and we can get into a long discussion on this) can get into college as long as he/she is a top rated athlete.

I propose college return to its original intent and the sports industry create a true minor league, independent of colleges, where all of the 4/5 star prospects can go and make money right out of high-school.

I would rather watch and support 1/2/3 star athletes who are getting a "TRUE" college education than watch/ support the destruction of amateur athletics as we are experiencing today.
    I would suggest you turn off your tv and never watch any college sports again.. players have been getting paid to play for a long time in different ways. The laws have changed, if you want what is best for MSU to compete.. this is the route we will have to go.

vCash
    Interesting... makes more sense

We have to tie the subscriptions to entitlements to stay above board, it can't just be a funnel for any money to come in and go out to players. Each individual needs to receive some value from their subscription, in the case of the 50/mo or 600/yr it's a seat at dinner. The more 50/mo subs you have the more seats at dinner you have to invite friends etc.

The 25/mo comes with a sticker and a cup, like actually you can't refuse delivery of those things

the 10/mo comes with access to the perks and exclusive content like the AMA.

The whole reason that we got through compliance is that this is completely legitimate and there isn't the capability to just "donate" to the players. The players are on the hook for content and the subscribers get value outside of just giving money to players.

vCash
    I would suggest you turn off your tv and never watch any college sports again.. players have been getting paid to play for a long time in different ways. The laws have changed, if you want what is best for MSU to compete.. this is the route we will have to go.
    Colleges were around before athletics. If college athletics were to move to the professional ranks, colleges will still be just fine! You are still missing the point of what a college (its charter, what is its purpose) is all about!

Colleges have morphed and not in a good way!

vCash
    Colleges were around before athletics. If college athletics were to move to the professional ranks, colleges will still be just fine! You are still missing the point of what a college (its charter, what is its purpose) is all about!

Colleges have morphed and not in a good way!
    You are missing the point. It's DONE.
    Do you want us to drop down to d-2 instead? or do you want us to stay in the sec and compete.
    That's your opinion that it's changed in a not good way. I would say you are just being blind that it's been going on for a long time under the table.

vCash
    You are missing the point. It's DONE.
    Do you want us to drop down to d-2 instead? or do you want us to stay in the sec and compete.
    That's your opinion that it's changed in a not good way. I would say you are just being blind that it's been going on for a long time under the table.
    An emphatic YES!!! Now the corruption that was under the table is now on top of the table in plain sight and everybody is encouraged and expected to participate in a major way or you are left behind. Priceless! You can't make this crap up! At least in prior years it was against the RULES and violators (except for the privileged few) were punished, now there are no rules! Anything goes!

And in your eyes this is better?

vCash
    I agree. If it keeps going, I'll be jumping off at some point just like I have with pro sports.