Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our Recruiting Stinks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    damn, bad take my friend.
    It changes... if we do well in-state, that's the most important. If we don't do well, in-state isn't important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Fletcher Cox
    Chris Jones
    Jeffrey Simmons
    B-Mac
    Elgston Jenkins

Most of our top NFL guys are from Mississippi
    And nobody wanted two of those five. Or gabe.

We should always start in state. With the usual exception of the QB position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    We can win without instate talent. They are mostly overrated
    Very few schools have the ability to win without wrapping up the best players in their respective state. Even schools that recruit well nationally(which we do not, nor have we ever) generally lock up the best players in their state.

We have never recruited well nationally, because from the outside looking in we don't have a great pitch. Now, we can go snag some kids that aren't high profile out of state guys but the majority of our top end talent over the last decade have come directly from MS.

If you want us to start recruiting nationally and forego our local guys we are going to struggle.

Biggest problem is we have a horrible big money donor base and we don't have enough sidewalk fans donating to make up the difference. Alabama has fans that would donate their last 50$ to football even if it meant them not eating for a week. We don't have that same kind of commitment from our fanbase. The problem is just going to amplify as schools get better at using the pay for play model. We can't compete with those schools at our current donor rate.

Cohen only has so much money to work with. It isn't on him. If you want to see recruiting improve it is going to take us regular folks donating much more money along with finding some more big name boosters that just aren't there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    damn, bad take my friend.
    Correct we HAVE to get more than our fair share of in state.

vCash
    We have by far the most players in the NFL of programs in this state, but it doesn't translate as a recruiting asset for MSU. All our recruits ratings go down when they commit, and the media is carrying on this offseason like our program shut down a decade ago. This stuff is starting to weird me out a little.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Correct we HAVE to get more than our fair share of in state.
    We can't let out of state schools win so many recruiting battles. Right now on 247 - There are 7 four star kids in-state this year. The bears lead for 3 and the other 4 are committed out of state. Last year 5 four star kids, two went to bears, we got one, and the other 2 went out of state.

Last year we signed 3 of the top 10 in state (one was Harmon, who didn't have many options)
    This year we look to sign 2 of the 10 ten - 9 and 10 (Blanton and Moss)

If y'all think we can be competitive without in-state kids, I'm not sure what to tell you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    We can't let out of state schools win so many recruiting battles. Right now on 247 - There are 7 four star kids in-state this year. The bears lead for 3 and the other 4 are committed out of state. Last year 5 four star kids, two went to bears, we got one, and the other 2 went out of state.

Last year we signed 3 of the top 10 in state (one was Harmon, who didn't have many options)

If y'all think we can be competitive without in-state kids, I'm not sure what to tell you.
    What's currently happening in Mississippi is embarrassing and the effort of a G5 program.

I guess that's what our boosters want.

vCash
    I saw an interesting post on Jeans Paige..

"Interesting stat for the moral high horse contingent. Did you know that during/immediately following the 3 best 3 year period of MSU football since WWII there was some form of NCAA probation? '74-76 we went 24-9-1. Probation followed. '98-00 we went 26-11. Probation followed. '13-15 we went 26-13. That was during the middle of the Redmond suspension and we got some probation for that as well. The modern story of MSU football is if we want to have some double digit wins, we are going to have to go up to and over whatever the line is in order to get the players required to get the job done. Those 9 years I referenced, we won 70% of all games. Equate that to a 12 game season-that's 10-2. I think it's certainly worth it even if there are repercussions. I'd rather try to get to the mountain top and get knocked back down to the valley than just settle for staying at base camp."

In summary, we gotta get down and dirty. .

vCash
    In regards to budgets and fundraising...we just announced today our largest fundraising year ever. Not saying it's Stanford money or anything but I would think we could make the budget if there was desire.

Carry on...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post

"Interesting stat for the moral high horse contingent. Did you know that during/immediately following the 3 best 3 year period of MSU football since WWII there was some form of NCAA probation? '74-76 we went 24-9-1. Probation followed. '98-00 we went 26-11. Probation followed. '13-15 we went 26-13. That was during the middle of the Redmond suspension and we got some probation for that as well. The modern story of MSU football is if we want to have some double digit wins, we are going to have to go up to and over whatever the line is in order to get the players required to get the job done. Those 9 years I referenced, we won 70% of all games. Equate that to a 12 game season-that's 10-2. I think it's certainly worth it even if there are repercussions. I'd rather try to get to the mountain top and get knocked back down to the valley than just settle for staying at base camp."

Getting my bags ready!

vCash
    The media does not believe in this team, this offense or in Mississippi State.

Listening to Cover 3 podcast one of the CBS national radio guys said we should appreciate Mullen more because of how much he was able to win in Starkville, all the others agreed. I say they are full of shit. Jackie took us to the SEC championship game, Leach beat a top 25 team his first year with a bunch of freshman on offense with half a roster. Even Croom put together some winning seasons with an offense that he couldn't teach. The facilities and fan support is getting better and better.

Same CBS guy says that Leach's offense is predicated on finding a weak link in the defense and exploiting it. He said that there won't be weak links in the defenses of the SEC because all the guys can run and we simply don't have the athletes to compete.

That is not at all what Leach's offense is about. His offense is about making you defend as much of the field as possible. He does this by spreading out the attack and using as many different players as possible to do it. Attacking the weak link has nothing to do with it, its about attacking the empty space the entire width of the field and as deep as the Oline can stand.

Note about that empty space: Leach's best teams have run the ball effectively. They don't necessarily run it 35 times a game but they do make defenses defend against it. His RB's have more yards from the line of scrimmage than most think. All but a couple years at Tech they would have at least one guy have 700-900 yards rushing plus another 400-500 receiving. That's close to 1400 yards of production from one RB. At WSU, he would have as many as 3 guys have 500 yards Rushing with another 1,000 in receiving split between them. That's close to 2500 yards from the RB position.

I think what people don't like is the dink and dunk stuff constantly. I get it, that OL will have to perform better so that can change. Leach called the Oline the most important positions on the team. Hurst or no Hurst, it is on him to get them in here. I will not live and die over missing one player. I have liked his overall OL recruiting. It has been much better than we had under Mullen. I also like the roster management, I think the portal does help for sure in that area.

Bottom line: Watching recruiting will drive you nuts. At the end of the day you have to look at the roster. Is it balanced and can it compete. Looking at individual recruiting will get to you eventually, it never seems to go our way because the losses stick in your brain but in reality, we have a really nice roster with some good commits ranked 23rd in roster talent in 2020. Can it be better? Yes, and I think it will be after Leach proves his offense will work in the SEC. If he can't, then go back and try again.

I am ready for some football!

vCash
    We're going to go at least 7-5 this year. Which is exactly what Dan averaged here. A good coach can average that here.

vCash
    The only reason anyone should miss Mullen is because Cohen absolutely royally screwed up the first hire. That 18 team should have mopped the field with the gators at home. And should have won 10 games.

vCash

The ncaa is irrelevant. If we are not cheating our ass off at this very moment, we don?t care about being good at football. Period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

So how do you propose to stop this ??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Cheat harder

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Forward Dawgs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Basically because we refused to not tell the guy the truth. So he's going to go to Ole Miss and play OL anyway. Which is another issue we have.
    Tee Shepard comes to mind. They'll say whatever to get whoever for whatever reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Fletcher Cox
    Chris Jones
    Jeffrey Simmons
    B-Mac
    Elgston Jenkins

Most of our top NFL guys are from Mississippi
    And Johnathan Abram, KJ Wright, Gabe Jackson, JT Gray, Martinas Rankin, Logan Cooke, Tyre Phillips, Willie Gay, ……..

Dak, Preston Smith, and Cam Dantzler are out of state

Denico Autry, Montez Sweat, Pernell McPhee, and Darius Slay are out-of-state but played JUCO in Mississippi.

We’ve done our best work in state.

vCash
    Cheat harder
    With the nli why the hell do we need to cheat...