Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Recruiting Stinks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't think leach thinks he needs top talent to run his offense. This may or may not be true, but we won't stop anyone if we load up our defense with a buncha 84-86 rated guys
    My biggest frustration is that MSU has a culture of lacking a commitment to excellence in football. There is a 100% commitment to mediocrity.

While I like to make fun of OM as well, it?s undeniable that they have a larger commitment to football than us. They have bad ROI, but they try really hard. When you look at our football facility needs and recruiting budget needs, and then realize that no one at MSU is asking for the money to build these things, it?s becomes difficult to then make a case that we?re trying to win in this sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't think leach thinks he needs top talent to run his offense. This may or may not be true, but we won't stop anyone if we load up our defense with a buncha 84-86 rated guys
    More talent is better regardless of the system.

However, I think Leach is not going to play the "game" against Ole Miss to land in-state guys. Leach is going to go out of state more than any coach we have ever had, and would rather take an out of state kid with no drama instead of playing the game vs. OM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Gonna lose Bryson Hurst to OM on Wed.

At one point we led for Williams, Harris, and Dorsch, and won?t likely get any.

MSU has always gotten its share of instate players, but we?re getting destroyed currently.

A lifeless recruiting department that doesn?t get enough funding or staff. Pretty embarrassing what?s going on.
    Didn't you say that Robertson is the best QB we have ever signed?! Embarrassing...

vCash
    I used to follow recruiting closely, but I'm starting to care less and less these days, which is sad because the more talent you have, the better you are, but our "network" is so far behind the others in the SEC that we really don't stand much of a chance. We're not willing to do what it takes. It's just the way it is. So we'll continue to recruit around 30, and we'll average 6-7 wins a year and be happy with it I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Explain why this is a Cohen issue? Our revenue is shit. We are a small school with a low giving donor base compared to the teams we compete against.

Give more money = spend more money.

This is easy math, but for a long long time a large portion of our fan base refuse to understand that we just don't have nearly as many people as other programs that are willing to consistently give enough money to make a difference. Sure we have folks that will step up to the plate for a capital campaign.

But our base doesn't give enough consistently year over year. Last I checked we had like 12,000 in the Bulldog Club. Not enough. And I hang around the middle of the pack and don't give a lot, but I'm working towards giving more. We need a lot more donors giving a lot more money. That's how you change a program.
    Not that this isn't true, but what you see reported isn't what is influencing recruiting. We'd be better off with less revenue on the books if that meant more boosters with money they're willing to send to kids or pay for NIL deals.

vCash

MSU has always gotten its share of instate players, but we?re getting destroyed currently.

A lifeless recruiting department that doesn?t get enough funding or staff. Pretty embarrassing what?s going on.
    Signing day is when? Checks calendar....mid December and early Feb.

The book is not written on this class, and verbal commits often change with the weather. Quit freakin' out.

vCash
    Well I would assume that you did not get the memo. MSU is not suppose to have a good football team, they are to provide wins for the big boys. State must be satisficed with having a good baseball team and know their place. The big boys have to win so that their fans won't feel like they had their dicks cut off.

vCash
    Small sample size, but two of Mullen's worst classes rankings-wise were his first two full cycles. It seems logical to me that those would be the toughest years for any coach, particularly one who's not a natural recruiter - honeymoon during which most of the work on the class was done by the predecessor is over, but you're still working to build local and regional relationships.

The SEC is obviously a different beast with a learning curve when it comes to recruiting, but I still don't see any reason to doubt that Leach, once acclimated, will recruit at about the same level his program does historically, just like he did at his previous two stops.

Banned
    vCash
    Leach talks to croots once a week? Are you sure? All I know is that if it was played by the rules, STATE would dominate In-State for many reasons. We just don't wanna show money like others it appears. UhGAIN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Leach talks to croots once a week? Are you sure? All I know is that if it was played by the rules, STATE would dominate In-State for many reasons. We just don't wanna show money like others it appears. UhGAIN.
    dominate if it was played by the rules? Oh boy.

Banned
    vCash
    Rebel Flag-Plantation VS People's University. No Brainer.

vCash
    We have to continue to fill our needs with JUCOs. If we sign 6-8 top Jucos we will be fine. Look at the Jucos we have now playing and also the ones that are now in the NFL. The transfer Portal is another way to compete. so really the recruitment of High school players is not as make or break as it used to be. Plus , when you recruit a HS player about half the hot shots are bust. JUCOs and transfers are a more sure thing, at worst most provide depth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We could pour a million into more staff and it wouldn't make one ounce of difference. And CML doesn't want anymore anyway says he has more than he's ever had so there's that. We gonna be a 25-35 team. Is what it is. That's our "budget"
    Been that way since recruiting rankings began.

Banned
    vCash
    Maybe get the specifics on Ole Miss crootin then double down?

vCash
    The is normally where I'd complain that OM is paying players, but, honestly, it feels like they're going uncontested for players in state. Like we're not even trying
    We have 8 in state players committed to their 5. What in state guy committed to them do you look at as a big miss other than Harris?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

We can win without instate talent. They are mostly overrated
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Nope. That first statement is completely false.

vCash
    Fletcher Cox
    Chris Jones
    Jeffrey Simmons
    B-Mac
    Elgston Jenkins

Most of our top NFL guys are from Mississippi
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    damn, bad take my friend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    We have to continue to fill our needs with JUCOs. If we sign 6-8 top Jucos we will be fine. Look at the Jucos we have now playing and also the ones that are now in the NFL. The transfer Portal is another way to compete. so really the recruitment of High school players is not as make or break as it used to be. Plus , when you recruit a HS player about half the hot shots are bust. JUCOs and transfers are a more sure thing, at worst most provide depth.
    now that the free, one time transfer is in place, and freshman eligibility rules are much easier than in Jackie's day, Juco pickings are going to be slim. You will only be able to find really poor students and the extremely late bloomer. Take this recent juco class we signed, potentially no contributors from those signees.

But yeah, we have to hit the transfer portal extremely hard. We need to direct a lot of resources there as far as evaluating, recruiting, and closing the deal.