Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Recruiting Stinks

vCash

Our Recruiting Stinks

Gonna lose Bryson Hurst to OM on Wed.

At one point we led for Williams, Harris, and Dorsch, and won?t likely get any.

MSU has always gotten its share of instate players, but we?re getting destroyed currently.

A lifeless recruiting department that doesn?t get enough funding or staff. Pretty embarrassing what?s going on.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I don't follow recruiting this time of the year, but that's rough if true. I will say that at a place like MSU, the head coach has to really care and prioritize recruiting for us to have much success. And that's not Leach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

MSU has always gotten its share of instate players, but we?re getting destroyed currently.

A lifeless recruiting department that doesn?t get enough funding or staff. Pretty embarrassing what?s going on.
    We could pour a million into more staff and it wouldn't make one ounce of difference. And CML doesn't want anymore anyway says he has more than he's ever had so there's that. We gonna be a 25-35 team. Is what it is. That's our "budget"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I don't follow recruiting this time of the year, but that's rough if true. I will say that at a place like MSU, the head coach has to really care and prioritize recruiting for us to have much success. And that's not Leach.
    Mullen likes recruiting and works at it way more than leach. All true

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Mullen likes recruiting and works at it way more than leach. All true
    Yes, thanks for the preemptive post b/c you know the Mullen posts were coming. Mullen said a million times that recruiting is like shaving, miss one day and you look like a bum. Leach probably talks to recruits 1 day a week at the most.

vCash

They flipped Clayton as well

vCash
    Dan's problem had more to do with roster management. Which Leach appears to be much better at that than Dan. Give me a Leach ranked 27th class over a Dan class ranked 27th because the Dan class likely had no receivers over 6'0 tall and 2 OL in it.

MSU's problem is we don't prioritize football recruiting enough. At a recruiting department level OR at a booster level. We're way too scared about getting nailed by the NCAA- and with Bracky that's not surprising why they would feel that way.

Add in MSU winning a National Championship in baseball causing Ole Miss boosters to flip out and this is not surprising at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    They flipped Clayton as well
    Basically because we refused to not tell the guy the truth. So he's going to go to Ole Miss and play OL anyway. Which is another issue we have.

vCash
    Do yourself a favor. Stop following recruiting. It took me into my 40's to do this b/c I loved the idea of getting top 10 recruiting classes. My stress level has decreased. It's pathetic. We don't have enough alumni who CARE($) enough to do anything about it. It's frustrating. No doubt about it. I hope we can surprise and win a lot of games, that will help, but seriously, just don't follow recruiting as much as you have and just catch up at the end. it's better that way.

Pretty soon, if we don't start getting 4stars, we're not going to be competing with Ole Miss for players. We'll be competing for players that are considering smaller schools.
    Last edited by BHildreth3; 08-22-2021 at 11:04 PM.

vCash
    The is normally where I'd complain that OM is paying players, but, honestly, it feels like they're going uncontested for players in state. Like we're not even trying

vCash
    The is normally where I'd complain that OM is paying players, but, honestly, it feels like they're going uncontested for players in state. Like we're not even trying
    If we're leading for a player and then we suddenly lose them- that's not a coaching issue. Because our coaches did their job in the first place selling the player on MSU for us to lead in the first place. Then it comes down to money at that point.

2nd Half Playcaller
    vCash
    Id like to hire some more analyst for recruiting but losing these guys aren't the coaching staff's fault. They've been calling and trying to get them in. I have a feeling after we surprise some folks this year things may change for the better. But we will never be a top 10 recruiter unless we play the game all the way like some schools do.

vCash
    Shotgun, you do this EVERY YEAR!

vCash
    We get what we pay for in recruiting. Lowest recruiting budget in Power 5. Thanks LT, I mean Cohen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    We get what we pay for in recruiting. Lowest recruiting budget in Power 5. Thanks LT, I mean Cohen.
    Explain why this is a Cohen issue? Our revenue is shit. We are a small school with a low giving donor base compared to the teams we compete against.

Give more money = spend more money.

This is easy math, but for a long long time a large portion of our fan base refuse to understand that we just don't have nearly as many people as other programs that are willing to consistently give enough money to make a difference. Sure we have folks that will step up to the plate for a capital campaign.

But our base doesn't give enough consistently year over year. Last I checked we had like 12,000 in the Bulldog Club. Not enough. And I hang around the middle of the pack and don't give a lot, but I'm working towards giving more. We need a lot more donors giving a lot more money. That's how you change a program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Explain why this is a Cohen issue? Our revenue is shit. We are a small school with a low giving donor base compared to the teams we compete against.

Give more money = spend more money.

This is easy math, but for a long long time a large portion of our fan base refuse to understand that we just don't have nearly as many people as other programs that are willing to consistently give enough money to make a difference. Sure we have folks that will step up to the plate for a capital campaign.

But our base doesn't give enough consistently year over year. Last I checked we had like 12,000 in the Bulldog Club. Not enough. And I hang around the middle of the pack and don't give a lot, but I'm working towards giving more. We need a lot more donors giving a lot more money. That's how you change a program.
    Has anyone ever asked you to give money to build up the recruiting department?

You'd think we run targeted fund raising campaigns but nope, I guess fans are supposed to have an intuition about what we need budget wise.

I bet if the AD asked for money to improve this area, he get plenty of money.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    How many coaches on the staff have a history in Mississippi? Tony Hughes and who else?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    How many coaches on the staff have a history in Mississippi? Tony Hughes and who else?
    I'm not sure that matters anymore with all the recruiting sites. The landscape of recruiting has shifted away from local coaches having much advantage.

vCash
    Stone Blanton has been basically a lock for 3 months and we can't even get him to commit, even if to just get some momentum.

If I didn't know better, I'd think out school has completely de-emphasized football. It seriously appears as though we aren't trying.

vCash
    Stone Blanton has been basically a lock for 3 months and we can't even get him to commit, even if to just get some momentum.

If I didn't know better, I'd think out school has completely de-emphasized football. It seriously appears as though we aren't trying.
    I don't think leach thinks he needs top talent to run his offense. This may or may not be true, but we won't stop anyone if we load up our defense with a buncha 84-86 rated guys