Thread: OT: Catfish

vCash

OT: Catfish

Hi. I haven't been living in Atlanta for 20 years and rarely get back to STATE. I'm making 2 games this year.

Q: Where can I find the best fried catfish in the area?

It doesn't have to be 'vegas, but anywhere close is fine. I am just craving some damn good fish. I grew up going to Vaiden on my way to my grandparents and back in the day, "Guy's Fish House" was amazing.

Thanks the help!

vCash
    Guy's is still there is it not? Vaiden is not that far, I have been there once and it was very good.

Ackerman has one, it's Pap's place. I was there once and it was good.

For Starkville, I say the best catfish to me is at Little Dooey's. That's what I get when I got there. I am by no means the expert on the subject, but I expect others to chime in.

The best ever? The Sparta Opra House, Sparta MS (30 minutes from Starkville). They are only open a couple hours a week and may not even be open during the pandemic. I have not been in years. Bunch of old folks doing their thing. My dad volunteer cooked there for about 30 years after he retired. Yes, he cooked into his 90's before he passed at 96 last year. They have catfish, strips, an auction and then singing, no booze allowed. All proceeds are donated to the needy and they have raised tens of thousands over the years and helped so many. I would say check that place out if you are over 70.

vCash
    if you're looking for Catfish you're gonna have to get out of the city ... there's plenty of fish around but just not that Catfish House good kind ... I've been here forever it seems but nothing like this comes to mind - Just places like Atlanta Fish market and other over priced restaurants that happen to serve fish ... which games are you coming over for ?
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Just make sure it's Miss farm raised. The places that serve imported catfish and "sway" should be run out of business!
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Drive to Pearl, MS to Moss Creek Fish House. The thin, crispy fillets are the best.

vCash
    I like Jerry's in Florence and for the atmosphere- Cock of the Walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Jerry's is great as is Swinging Bridge in Byrum ... I thought the OP was referring to Atlanta.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Guys is still open in the same location (since the 70s), but ownership has changed. Guys has a food truck that travels around, I know it comes to Carrollton.

Closer to Starkville is Wades (in Tomnolen), I haven't eaten there, but it gets good reviews.

There is a Cock of the Walk in a gas station in Louisville that has the best chicken tenders on planet earth, never had fish there but i expect it'd be good.

In these days of labor and supply chain issues, call first before you make any long drive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Haven?t been to Jerry?s in 10 years but it had gone down the last year or so that we went. And we went a lot growin up down there. Birthdays, reunion, or just Sunday after church. Me and My grandad loved that place.

I live in the golden triangle now and I can honestly say I haven?t found anywhere around that serves consistently good fried fish. There?s a place in West Point, the fish shack and then Reubens in Columbus but if I?ve got a hankerin for some quality filets I just fry em myself.

vCash
    As long as wherever you go buys their fish from Yazoo City or Belzoni and knows what in the hell theyre doing, you?ll be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    Hi. I haven't been living in Atlanta for 20 years and rarely get back to STATE. I'm making 2 games this year.

Q: Where can I find the best fried catfish in the area?

It doesn't have to be 'vegas, but anywhere close is fine. I am just craving some damn good fish. I grew up going to Vaiden on my way to my grandparents and back in the day, "Guy's Fish House" was amazing.

Thanks the help!
    Take a long detour, go visit the Civil War stuff at Corinth and Shiloh, TN. Have lunch a Borrum's Drugstore in Corinth for a slice of Americana and have dinner at the Catfish Hotel right next to Shiloh Park. THE best catfish anywhere.

Banned
    vCash
    Paps place in Ackerman. Thank me later

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Paps place in Ackerman. Thank me later
    Preachers usually know their food lol

vCash
    The Grilled Blackened Catfish with Crawfish Sauce at Anthonys’s in West Point. After you eat you can take a leisurely stroll down the street to the Brandon Walker Smoking Lounge.