Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Stick going?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash

Where is Stick going?

I saw where Stick, the equipment manager, is leaving. Anyone know where he is going?

vCash
    NFL. Pats maybe

vCash
    I think Patriots is correct.

vCash
    I've heard there was a little bit of bad blood in the way things ended. Anyone know anything about this?

vCash
    Timing is odd. Our camp starts in a week and nfl has already started.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I've heard there was a little bit of bad blood in the way things ended. Anyone know anything about this?
    I have a source familiar with the situation.

Stick loved it here, and was widely regarded as one of the best equipment managers in the world regardless of sport or competition level.

The issue was disrespect in the pay department. Everyone took a hit in pay during Covid. Top level folks got rewarded handsomely in the aftermath while people at Stick's level were given a pittance.

He's not the only one that left, just the most noticeable, and others are unhappy. Heard this on 7/6 from someone who was very close to the situation.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post

Stick loved it here, and was widely regarded as one of the best equipment managers in the world regardless of sport or competition level.

The issue was disrespect in the pay department. Everyone took a hit in pay during Covid. Top level folks got rewarded handsomely in the aftermath while people at Stick's level were given a pittance.

He's not the only one that left, just the most noticeable, and others are unhappy. Heard this on 7/6 from someone who was very close to the situation.
    About the same I heard. Seems lately that our football support staff hasn't been treated very well. Whether it was Mason Smith or now this situation with Stick. It's definitely something here that needs to get corrected.

vCash

Equipment managers usually make really good money at the professional level anyway. Was probably a good career move long term regardless.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Weren't we one of the only universities in the SEC that didn't have layoffs during COVID?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    ...widely regarded as one of the best equipment managers in the world regardless of sport or competition level.
    How does one gauge this?
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    How does one gauge this?
    I was thinking the same thing. He must have got the highest score on the equipment manager's Wonderlic test. **

vCash
    How does one gauge this?
    Demand. From my same source - Stick regularly received interest from NFL teams but said no because he was a Bulldog first.

When he felt disrespected, he put his name out there and multiple people sports teams reached out and there was a bit of a bidding war.

I don't think that happens with most equipment managers. It didn't take him long to find new work.

vCash
    This is not the first time he has left for another job. He left for a few years when Mullen was the coach and then came back around 2016-17ish.

vCash
    There has been a good many people leave the Mississippi Stare Athletic Dept in the last month or so?.most leave for a better position.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. He must have got the highest score on the equipment manager's Wonderlic test. **
    I mean is there a "best waterboy in the world" title?
    No Signature

vCash
    I mean is there a "best waterboy in the world" title?
    Pretty sure that one was decided down on the Bayou.

vCash

Athletic dept. budgets across the country are taking a hit, especially those not in the SEC. It seems all most want to hire are very low paid interns.

vCash
    Wasn't he with the Colts for a few years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    About the same I heard. Seems lately that our football support staff hasn't been treated very well. Whether it was Mason Smith or now this situation with Stick. It's definitely something here that needs to get corrected.
    Does this land at Leach's desk or is this an issue at the AD desk?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Does this land at Leach's desk or is this an issue at the AD desk?
    My guess is that this is an AD issue since they're the ones signing the checks. I imagine they asked Leach for his input on it but since he's only been HC for one year and he's in Key West during the offseason I don't imagine he has too much of an opinion over someone like Dan who had been here for 10 years and seen how everything was run on a day by day schedule.