Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Biles hiding behind mental health

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    It is 100% up to her. You have no idea what she is going through mentally or physically. That is why we have alternates to compete.
    As team captain, why did she put herself in the 'team' competition, only to withdraw due to 'mental issues' (her words) if there were 'alternates' that wee willing to compete?
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Biles is the greatest female gymnast of all time with 5 Olympic medals from Rio. She had proven she is plenty mentally tough. To be doing it at 24 is also crazy. I don't know what's going on in her head or if she's injured, but she has nothing to prove. This was basically the send off of an already incredible career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Biles is the greatest female gymnast of all time with 5 Olympic medals from Rio. She had proven she is plenty mentally tough. To be doing it at 24 is also crazy. I don't know what's going on in her head or if she's injured, but she has nothing to prove. This was basically the send off of an already incredible career.
    Great post! Champions aren't afraid to compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    F*ck off Rex... you sad sack of sh!t

Please explain 'why' you don't ban yourself!

You would ban 'anyone' else that posted what you did!
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Please explain 'why' you don't ban yourself!

You would ban 'anyone' else that posted what you did!

LOL No I wouldn't..and you can't cite one example either.

vCash
    This is an instance where nuance is quite valuable.

Simone Biles is the greatest gymnast of all time. To get to her level, you have to be extremely mentally tough, extremely physically tough, you have to have intense commitment and dedication to what you do, and you have to deal with pressure and the highest of stakes. She has done all that with aplomb and should be celebrated for it. This should not tarnish her legacy or anything she has already accomplished.

Today was a failure. I don't mean in any grand sense, but for the goal of competing in the Olympics, it was a failure. She doesn't owe me anything, and I'm not personally offended at her move. She is free to do as she chooses and she felt like she couldn't compete at her best today. That's fine. But part of what being an Olympic champion entails, as she well knows, is facing the pressure of the world's attention and years and years of training to culminate in one moment and overcoming it. She has done it with flying colors in the past but didn't do it today. She should be celebrated for doing it in the past, and I'm ok if she is criticized for not doing it today.

And then let's not make it more than it is. Like I said, it shouldn't tarnish her overall legacy, and it doesn't mean she's a quitter, etc. But it also shouldn't be celebrated. Today she let herself and her team down. It happens, and I wouldn't be surprised if she looks back on this down the road and actually wishes she had responded differently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    WOW... so you are in Her head and know what's going on?
    Way to presume things.
    I'm not so sure he's that far off base.... she's not just representing herself and her team .... she's representing the remaining three hundred million of us .... it's time to suck it up - that's what athletes do
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is an instance where nuance is quite valuable.

Simone Biles is the greatest gymnast of all time. To get to her level, you have to be extremely mentally tough, extremely physically tough, you have to have intense commitment and dedication to what you do, and you have to deal with pressure and the highest of stakes. She has done all that with aplomb and should be celebrated for it. This should not tarnish her legacy or anything she has already accomplished.

Today was a failure. I don't mean in any grand sense, but for the goal of competing in the Olympics, it was a failure. She doesn't owe me anything, and I'm not personally offended at her move. She is free to do as she chooses and she felt like she couldn't compete at her best today. That's fine. But part of what being an Olympic champion entails, as she well knows, is facing the pressure of the world's attention and years and years of training to culminate in one moment and overcoming it. She has done it with flying colors in the past but didn't do it today. She should be celebrated for doing it in the past, and I'm ok if she is criticized for not doing it today.

And then let's not make it more than it is. Like I said, it shouldn't tarnish her overall legacy, and it doesn't mean she's a quitter, etc. But it also shouldn't be celebrated. Today she let herself and her team down. It happens, and I wouldn't be surprised if she looks back on this down the road and actually wishes she had responded differently.
    This is a good post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Well good thing your opinion on this doesn't really matter. And I am sure you definitely meant to use the word "hiding". Like it is any of our business if she is.
    And neither does yours or mine ... and hiding just might be the appropriate word... mental excuses work better because a doctor can't really point to anything.... and don't tell me that I don't know what's going on in her head because you would be right- but if it's that bad then why does she think she can compete in a few days or a week?
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    You are talking about apples and oranges here. My claim (right or wrong) is that this isn't the reason she didn't compete and was used as a safe cover.

I have no problem with athletes opening up about this stuff. But how many stories do we hear about guys throwing up before games? There have been whole sports movies where dealing with the pressure was the whole crux of the movie. Pressure/anxiety are part of sports and have been forever. It's nothing new and tons of athletes struggle with this and they should - it's high pressure stakes.

I don't see how Dak talking about it off-the field has anything to do with someone not competing in their biggest event because of it. When he sits out a playoff game or the Super Bowl b/c of it then we have a valid comparison.
    He's a terrible poster and you just have to scroll past him or put him on your ignore list like I did .... bottom line is she went through competition to get her position on this team which meant someone else that didn't make the team could've competed..... she competed and won so she has an obligation to at least compete and TRY .... I remember in HS my senior year I tore up my shoulder with two games left ... I started and played both of those remaining games and then was operated on by putting a big pin in to pin my separated shoulder back together.... don't come at me with this mental crap because it's very difficult for some of us to accept
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 07-27-2021 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    She's been perfect up until this point in her career, so I think she'll be fine.

vCash
    Wow! Just wow. Keep on being Mississippi people... Holy sh*t.

ETA... obviously not everyone on here.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 07-27-2021 at 07:44 PM.

vCash
    Personally, I think she has the "yips". She felt she had the burden of the whole team on her shoulders and the pressure seems to have gotten to her. At least she knew it and bailed out so it wouldn't hurt her team anymore than it already had.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Smootness summed it up. Case closed.

vCash
    I thought one of the announcers said it may be a type of vertigo where gymnastics lose track of where they are when tumbling or spinning.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    As team captain, why did she put herself in the 'team' competition, only to withdraw due to 'mental issues' (her words) if there were 'alternates' that wee willing to compete?
    They had/have an alternate.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    And neither does yours or mine ... and hiding just might be the appropriate word... mental excuses work better because a doctor can't really point to anything.... and don't tell me that I don't know what's going on in her head because you would be right- but if it's that bad then why does she think she can compete in a few days or a week?
    You are under the impression that a doctor's diagnosis is needed for her NOT to compete. Once again, you missed the point. It is 100% up to her whether she is going to compete. Whatever is going on with her, no one knows, it doesn't matter. At this point she feels as if competing is not in hers or her teams best interest. Who are we to question that?
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    He's a terrible poster and you just have to scroll past him or put him on your ignore list like I did .... bottom line is she went through competition to get her position on this team which meant someone else that didn't make the team could've competed..... she competed and won so she has an obligation to at least compete and TRY .... I remember in HS my senior year I tore up my shoulder with two games left ... I started and played both of those remaining games and then was operated on by putting a big pin in to pin my separated shoulder back together.... don't come at me with this mental crap because it's very difficult for some of us to accept
    She isn't obligated to anything. They have an alternate, period. They have a contingency. IF someone else gets an injury or something, then it is time to discuss these things.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I agree. But none of us knows the circumstances of this withdraw. Does it suck, yes. Is she "Hiding" behind mental health.... no. Should it be celebrated, no. Should we come down like some self righteous asshats, no.

At the end of the day, our alternate had a shot to do stand up and fill in. That is why we have one.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    For those that don't understand what mental health challenges are going on in this generation that's intermediate school to about 25, I implore you to do some research.

I deal with it almost every day at school. There are so many kids that don't know how to handle things and they are being exposed to much more than their brains can process. And it's affecting them in a very negative way.

Spend a week in a public school and figure out what's really going on with the health of our youth and young adults and you'll change your mind about how desperate this situation is if you don't already know. It's bad and getting worse.