Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Biles hiding behind mental health

vCash

Simon Biles - mental health?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/31897392

Has to be an injury and she didn?t want to aggrevate it before going into the individual events is my guess. Which is fine but don?t make up a lame excuse when everyone knows you tweaked and ankle.

You don?t train endlessly for the Olympics and then just decide ?I don?t feel like it? on competition day. Especially when you are the best person on the team. Just says I was a little banged up and thought that steeping back gave the team the best chance to win and that it?s personally disappointing to not get to compete but unneeded to put the team first. That?s what you would have heard 10 years ago.

This is why I?m having trouble getting into the Olympics - too many athletes have soured me lately by their attitudes.
    Last edited by Irondawg; 07-27-2021 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post

Has to be an injury and she didn?t want to aggrevate it before going into the individual events is my guess. Which is fine but don?t make up a lame excuse when everyone knows you tweaked and ankle.

You don?t train endlessly for the Olympics and then just decide ?I don?t feel like it? on competition day. Especially when you are the best person on the team. Just says I was a little banged up and thought that steeping back gave the team the best chance to win and that it?s personally disappointing to not get to compete but unneeded to put the team first. That?s what you would have heard 10 years ago.

This is why I?m having trouble getting into the Olympics - too many athletes have soured me lately by their attitudes.
    Are you asking for personal responsibility? novel idea.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    It is 100% up to her. You have no idea what she is going through mentally or physically. That is why we have alternates to compete. What is the issue here?

Edited to add, she is the best that has ever competed in that sport. If she wants to save her last few tumbles for her individual event, then who the 17 is any one of us to question her on any decision she makes.

I would love to have a running commentary surrounding every professional decision or action you have ever taken, bud.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash

WOW... so you are in Her head and know what's going on?
    Way to presume things.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Does gymnastics equate to other sports? Would the same be said if Tom Brady bowed out of super bowl after a bad quarter due to mental things?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    It is 100% up to her. You have no idea what she is going through mentally or physically. That is why we have alternates to compete. What is the issue here?

Edited to add, she is the best that has ever competed in that sport. If she wants to save her last few tumbles for her individual event, then who the 17 is any one of us to question her on any decision she makes.

I would love to have a running commentary surrounding every professional decision or action you have ever taken, bud.
    Exactly.... his commentary is a true keyboard warrior.
    Let's not forget all the shit she's been thru over the past 5 years since rio.
    I hope like hell she shines and takes gold in everything individual.

vCash
    Melt.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Does gymnastics equate to other sports? Would the same be said if Tom Brady bowed out of super bowl after a bad quarter due to mental things?
    We can play What-aboutism all you want. Brady (under contract) has nothing to do with Biles. Although, I bet Brady could decide not to play if it wasn't in his best interest because he has the money to cover the ramifications.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Yea. I agree. Everyone can call their own shots. But I don?t think it?s unfair to ask questions about the worlds best ever sitting out and hurting her team when it wasn?t a physical injury. Those would certainly be asked of athletes of other sports. I was just asking if it was the same.

vCash
    My point is she?s hurt and pretty much everyone knows it. I don?t mind her bowing out and I think I made that clear in my original post. If she wants to save herself for the individual competition than I?m totally fine with that.

What I didn?t like was the spin.

I think it?s total crap that they wouldn?t let her do her special move. I?m a fan of hers but I didn?t like the excuse making beyond that and I?m sorry if my original post came across as overly aggressive.

vCash
    Sweeping stuff under the rug has been the problem. Did you want here to Lie?

Reports of sexual abuse were ignored by the US Olympic Gymnastic for years and years. It was really bad and Simone was one of the victims. Her giving full disclosure about here issues is refreshing. Someone telling the truth, I can't imagine that one would get admonished for doing so.

I have no doubt she will represent this country the best she can and I am proud she is representing these United States and not someone too scared to step up and say what is wrong.

vCash
    I?ll add that I?d argue that Olympic gymnasts are some of the most mentally tough athletes out there normally.

They train mercilessly, are pushed hard from an insanely young age, compete in pain, all events are performed individually and most events you only get one run at it. Those are insane conditions.

All that for something most people only pay attention during the Olympics. There is no huge professional league with money and glory. And you are pretty much done with the sport by your early 20?s when most others are hitting their prime.

Not competing in the one event anybody cares about in your sport because of mental fatigue is something I wouldn?t expect to hear, even as a cover story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Sweeping stuff under the rug has been the problem. Did you want here to Lie?

Reports of sexual abuse were ignored by the US Olympic Gymnastic for years and years. It was really bad and Simone was one of the victims. Her giving full disclosure about here issues is refreshing. Someone telling the truth, I can't imagine that one would get admonished for doing so.

I have no doubt she will represent this country the best she can and I am proud she is representing these United States and not someone too scared to step up and say what is wrong.
    My point is I don?t think she?s telling the truth. I think she?s hurt. And look being hurt right before your world stage event would be emotionally devastating so maybe it?s a bit of half-truth. Maybe that?s our disconnect.

I?m also going to change the title as maybe I shouldn?t have used the word ?hiding?
    Last edited by Irondawg; 07-27-2021 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    Of course it does! Haven't you been watching Ninja Warrior???

vCash
    Biles said it was stress and anxiety and that she was ?second guessing herself? after a 5 hour break between practice and the competition. She denied it was an injury.

vCash
    I thought I saw multiple reports stating she sustained a leg/ankle injury and was seen with the doctors attending to her and there was speculation she wasn?t going to be able to compete.

vCash
    She denies injury. I just read a whole article with quotes from Biles.

vCash
    [IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1400/1*Fxme-rt2YSnE4pt9GVFyUA.jpeg[/IMG]

vCash
    It would be front page news.

I don't know what is gong on so can't really comment on it with Biles that is. May have nothing to do with it but I did hear about something with judges not judging her the same, don't know what that comment from judges was about.

vCash
    My point is I don?t think she?s telling the truth. I think she?s hurt. And look being hurt right before your world stage event would be emotionally devastating so maybe it?s a bit of half-truth. Maybe that?s our disconnect.

I?m also going to change the title as maybe I shouldn?t have used the word ?hiding?
    Well good thing your opinion on this doesn't really matter. And I am sure you definitely meant to use the word "hiding". Like it is any of our business if she is.
    Downvotes_Hype