Thread: So what is the optimum # of teams for the SEC?

vCash

So what is the optimum # of teams for the SEC?

Is it sticking with 16 or is it 18, 20?

Also wonder if a few of the power commissioners have had side discussions and agreed on a general framework around how to proceed going forward or if everyone is taking an ?every man for himself? approach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Is it sticking with 16 or is it 18, 20?

Also wonder if a few of the power commissioners have had side discussions and agreed on a general framework around how to proceed going forward or if everyone is taking an ?every man for himself? approach
    I liked 10.

vCash
    20. Let's bring in OSU and some other highly successful schools who we can add to our W column in football as well as other sports. However that being said, they'll also likely be more competitive. Either way-super conference of top teams while available

$$$ and more entertaining season like this year.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    16 seems to be pretty optimal.
    4 teams in 4 regions

The schedule could set up that you play your entire region once per year - 3 Games
    + Then you play one and a half regions that rotate each year - 6 Conf Games
    You would play the entire league every 4 years home and away.

You could even make it where the divisions change each year. Regions paired up with each other are in the same division.

Division A - 1 Texas, 1 aTm, 2 Oklahoma, 2 Arkansas
    Division B - 1 Ole Miss, 1 MSU, 2 LSU, 2 Missouri
    Divison C - 1 Alabama, 1 Tenn, 2 Auburn, 2 Vandy
    Division D - 1 GA, 1 FL, 2 SCar, 2 Kentucky

Year 1-2
    A and B + A and C #1 and #2s, B plays D #1 and #2
    C and D full schedule plus D plays Bs #1 and #2

Year 3-4
    A and D - D plays C 1 and 2s
    B and C - B Plays A 1 and 2s

Year 5-6
    A Plays C + 1s versus 2 on one of the two remaining
    B plays D + 1s versus 2 on one of the two remaining

So our year 1 schedule would be
    Our division - Ole Miss, Missouri, LSU
    Our rotating would be - Texas, atm, OU, and Ark
    Bonus games - GA and FL

Year 2 would be just the same, except home and away switches

Year 3 and 4 would be the same except for our rotating changes
    Ole Miss, LSU, and Missouri
    Rotate to GA, UF, KY, and Scar
    Bonus Games TX and aTm

Year 5 and 6, you switch the 1 versus 1 games to 1 versus 2.
    and year 7-8 you keep the base schedule going but keep rotating 1 versus 2

Every year the schedule will be somewhat different, but you will not go more than 6 years than playing an entire home and away with another conference team.

Divisions can be organized by your base teams + the other region you are paired with. Every 2 years the divisions will change who is grouped.

just my opinion.

Also, I would push all leagues to set up designated weeks for nonconference schedules and half the entire D1 takes the same two weeks as time off in the middle of the season. Fixed schedule. that way everyone knows what to expect for 5 off weeks a year.

I woudl go weeks 1 and 2 non-conference games.
    I would go weeks 6-7 half takes one of those two weeks off.
    Weeks 9-10 NonConference weeks

If this would be locked down by the entire country, we would see great football every year with games being set into a certain schedule equal to all teams.
    Last edited by Lord McBuckethead; 07-26-2021 at 03:17 PM.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Another thought came to me. Maybe group A and D never play each other as a fixed rotating schedule, but always are playing each other on the super rotating group? That would ensure home and away doesn't get out of wack.
    Group A plays 1s versus 1s with D in years 1-4
    Group A plays B in years 1 and 2 home and away
    Group A plays C in years 2 adn 3 home and away
    Then repeat. That seems dang fair to me.

Alright, I have this all worked out now I believe. I am going to have to put together a 4 year schedule together for each team and post it.

This should allow every single team in the league a home and away with every other team in the league inside of 4 years.
    Last edited by Lord McBuckethead; 07-26-2021 at 03:23 PM.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    year 1 and 2

Regional Pairing
    Group A against B
    Group C against D

Rotating Games Year 1 and 2
    A 1s/2s versus C 1s and 2s
    B 1s/2s versus D 1s/2s

Extra Rotating
    A 1s versus D 1s
    B1s versus C 1s

Year 3-4
    Regional games
    A versus C
    B versus D

Rotating Games
    A versus B
    C versus D

Extra Rotating
    A 2s versus D 2s
    B 2s versus C 2s

Everyone has played everyone home and way in 4 years at least once.
    The next setup can rotate and maybe A and C only play each other once home and away over 4 years.

either way, this is how you play everyone in the shortest time possible.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    20. Let's bring in OSU and some other highly successful schools who we can add to our W column in football as well as other sports. However that being said, they'll also likely be more competitive. Either way-super conference of top teams while available

$$$ and more entertaining season like this year.
    OSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Michigan. Get it done Sanky.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Or you play everyone in your pod each year and alternate home away. Then you play two teams in each other pod each year while playing one of those teams again the next but alternate the site so you don't get stuck playing the same two every other year.

So
    We play everyone in division B each year then out of group A the first year play Texas away and TAMU home. The next year play TAMU away and Oklahoma home.
    That's 9 SEC games and 3 OOC. Going to be a lot harder schedule but I imagine a lot more money and games fans go to if we continue to be competitive.

vCash
    It'll be one permanent opponent and one rotater each season from the other three pods/divisions.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    OSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Michigan. Get it done Sanky.
    I have a hard time dealing with the amount of Douchbags in this conference already. I don't know if I can take this with Texas.

vCash
    I was fine with 12.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    It'll be one permanent opponent and one rotater each season from the other three pods/divisions.
    Surely that is not the correct answer. It would take too much time to get through the entire SEC schedule. We need a better solution than this.

We do not need a fixed opponent. We need a fixed schedule that completely turns over the league in 4 years max.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I like the thought of staying at 14 but exchange rebs and mizzou for texas and oklahoma.

I don't really like adding the new teams but also don't want to lose a power struggle with Big 10 if they went there.

vCash
    Depends on who the common is. If it's Bama, it'll suck. If it's Vandy we shouldn't complain.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    16 should be the max unless we can get Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan or someone on that level.

vCash
    Well at least now we'll have more money for better facilities and hopefully bowl the stadium in with chairbacks in the lower bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I liked 10.

vCash
    We may be shortsighted thinking of he SEC simply expanding. What we're looking at is potentially bigger than that. It's headed more toward a total realignment of college football.

vCash
    I kinda like this but I would never be able to figure out the tie breaking rules ... I can barely follow them now as they are but with 4 pods there has to be a lot of ties ahead of us ... or maybe still stick with two divisions regarding the tie breaking
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Let's bring in everybody, coast to coast!