Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 MSU Football Depth Chart

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Lashley has a good shot at being the starter at RT.
    I think he will

vCash
    Is Walley 100% after that spring game scare?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Should be an interesting year watching the RB's catch 100 swing passes this season.
    And getting absolutely blown up every dang time. It was irresponsible the way we hung them out to dry so much last year.

vCash
    I heard Leach has decided to run the Single Wing to satisfy message board coaches.

vCash
    I’ve heard he was going to throw it 600 times to please himself
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I heard Leach has decided to run the Single Wing to satisfy message board coaches.
    lol

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I?ve heard he was going to throw it 600 times to please himself
    I guess we will just have to wait and see what the 2 time national college football coach of the year decides to do.

vCash
    Folks are sleeping on our defense. If we stay reasonably healthy, it will be Top 3-4 on the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Folks are sleeping on our defense. If we stay reasonably healthy, it will be Top 3-4 on the league.
    If it can rival what we had in '18, and if our offense can produce better than joeblows that year. Could be a really good year. BIG if's.

vCash
    I'm not saying it can be 18 good.
    But I think it will be 17 good.

vCash
    lol "17 good" that is still pretty freaking good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    And getting absolutely blown up every dang time. It was irresponsible the way we hung them out to dry so much last year.
    Again what are we gonna do to keep D from jumping our routes? All of them.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Run the ball better when we do run, Throw to the back sooner on the check downs (they are wide open when the ball is snapped and can gain 10-12 yards every single time if they are the first read instead of the check down), and the OL has to protect until the receivers can find the soft spot in the zone down the field.

vCash
    Last year the team had little to almost no practice or installation time. This year should be much better just based off the team understanding what the coaches want them to do.

vCash
    Have a pass-run ratio of at least 65-35 and run the ball effectively when we do. This will also lead to us seeing man to man a little more, which as we saw vs. LSU, we can torch.

When a defense has only 3 down linemen with LBs bailing out to zone cover, you have to be able to run for yards on that. You have to.

vCash
    I assume you're just talking about against zone because against man the answer is throw it sooner and/or throw it more accurate just like it is with all offenses.

Against zone I think it's more about the QB knowing which open space the receiver is going to sit in and then the receiver actually sitting in the space he's supposed to. This offense against zone relies a lot on everyone knowing what they're supposed to be doing, which I'm not sure was always the case last year, especially early on against Arkansas and Kentucky.

The real question is whether we are going to be able to pass protect against 3, 4 or 5 rushers. If we are able to do that I think the rest will come together just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Last year the team had little to almost no practice or installation time. This year should be much better just based off the team understanding what the coaches want them to do.
    This applies more to offense I know, but it applies to defense too.

vCash
    Should be an interesting year watching the RB's catch 100 swing passes this season.
    I?m personally fine with this if we?ll hit it quick and let the back get upfield and in stride.

I think the problem last year how slow we recognized the swing pass was wide ass open, thus making the back stop and turn his back to the defense.

If we hit it correctly, defenses will scheme to take it away thus opening up other routes.

vCash
    We had three first round picks on that 17 defense, I'm not sure I see that here.

All our defense has to be is solid and we will improve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    We had three first round picks on that 17 defense, I'm not sure I see that here.

All our defense has to be is solid and we will improve.
    True. But later. Not a single defensive player was drafted after the 2017 season. Abram, Simmons, and sweat were drafted in the first round after 2018 season. Point being, nobody on the 2017 defense was a first rounder after the 2017 season. And abram didn't even start in 2017 (which I disagreed with).

I don't think this dl has the star power 2017 had, but lb will be as good or better and corners better.

I agree with your last sentence. And I think it will be more than solid.