Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Indians now the Cleveland Guardians

vCash
    This is a fine example were PC just sucks a dogs ass.

vCash
    I think a fitting name for Cleveland should be "the Fire", "the Sludge" after the Cuyahoga river or "the fighting Dorns"/

vCash
    Activists don?t have jobs unless they?re active. So yes, they?ll absolutely find something to go after next
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    95% of people offended by their name were not native american descendants.
    That kinda has to be true when Native Americans make up around 1% of the population. If 50% of Native Americans and 10% of everyone else are "offended" (or more accurately, aren't offended, but just a little uncomfortable with it), your 95:5 ratio holds.

Obviously those aren't the right numbers, I'm just pointing out how it would be close to impossible for your statement to be false.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    That kinda has to be true when Native Americans make up around 1% of the population. If 50% of Native Americans and 10% of everyone else are "offended" (or more accurately, aren't offended, but just a little uncomfortable with it), your 95:5 ratio holds.

Obviously those aren't the right numbers, I'm just pointing out how it would be close to impossible for your statement to be false.
    O?..k. My point of this was Native Americans are not the ones offended
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Not a fan of that name personally unless they pick Rocket Racoon as their mascot.

I was pulling for "Tribe" to keep the heritage but not the potentially offensive moniker.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ians-guardians
    Thank goodness!! Maybe I can sleep at night now. ***

vCash
    Who?s the first team to be called the Wokes?

Haha

vCash
    If we switch back to The Maroons will someone be offended by that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Not a fan of that name personally unless they pick Rocket Racoon as their mascot.

I was pulling for "Tribe" to keep the heritage but not the potentially offensive moniker.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ians-guardians
    Yet more pandering and caving to pc and the vocal minority. It?s literally effing stupid. Just gives me another reason not to watch MLB.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Everything to these people is racist .. if you disagree with that then you are a racist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    If we switch back to The Maroons will someone be offended by that?
    Absolutely

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    So no Patriots or Raiders or Saints or Cowboys or ..............

If we are going to bend to political pressure, then let's do it all the way. It's kind of like it's okay to have a movie called "White Men Can't Jump", but it's not okay to have a movie called "Black Men can't do well on the ACT." Let's either do it or not.
    Do you seriously not understand the difference between a job and someone's race or culture?

You know there's no such thing as "blue lives" either, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Goodbye to Chiefs, Braves, Rangers, Cowboys, etc
    Only two of them will change and you know which two........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Cowboys killed Indians. They have to go next.
    Thought the same thing. There is no end to the hurt feelings and PC madness. You can't use anything.

The Cleveland Browns is racists. It has to change. Can you imagine the Tennessee Whites? I am joking but that is how stupid this is getting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    Bunch of snowflakes in this thread.

The only one's on the chopping block are Cleveland, which had a REALLY racist mascot, Washington, whose name is literally a slur (I don't want to hear you complaining about Ole Miss being the slave owners wife if you don't call this out), and maybe the Braves, but that one might be safe because it isn't inherently negative, but there's a legit concern about using a type of people as a mascot - just like you shouldn't wear a race or culture as a costume for Halloween. It's okay to admit that some stuff created in the past was bad and should be changed. Doesn't take away any joy you had cheering for them in the past and doesn't make you a bad person for having cheered for those teams. You didn't know better and it was a different time.

Literally none of this will have any negative consequences for you personally, you won't be harmed in any way, and nothing in your life will meaningfully change for the better or worse with this.
    Yes the name of a team don't affect each personally but see the forest for the trees. This ain't about a team name offending. All of this absolutely affects every person. This stuff just spreads. They never quit. These days everything is racist if you don't agree with those in power. Too many people been fired, jailed, canceled, etc. due to the insanity gripping our culture.

vCash
    Notice the last 5 characters in the name (dians) is the same as in Indians. I think they were trying to save as much of the orginal name as possible while still being politically correct.

Just my opinion, the only sports team that used Indian (or Native American if you prefer) names that was derogatory was Redskins. That was always used in the negative in old Western movies. But other teams, like Braves, Chiefs, and even Indians, are used in an honorable sense. Things are just going overboard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Thought the same thing. There is no end to the hurt feelings and PC madness. You can't use anything.

The Cleveland Browns is racists. It has to change. Can you imagine the Tennessee Whites? I am joking but that is how stupid this is getting.
    Where's the name Browns come from? Seems nonsensical, but there must be a reason they have that name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It's already happening. PETA instagram/twitter said we should refrain from using animal names because it denigrates and furthers animal suffering. There really is no end to this. None. You can find any group that will be offended by any word or name.
    I can sorta understand their objections to live mascots, but to object just to the name (e.g., Bulldogs, Lions) is ridiculous.

Objections to having a live tiger or longhorn steer on the field has some merit.

vCash
    49ers too
    Yep. They were all white (as far as I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Saints
    Saints have a religious meaning. Got to get rid of them.

How about the Wizards? They certainly have a KKK connection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Where's the name Browns come from? Seems nonsensical, but there must be a reason they have that name.

Paul Brown. Co-founder and first HC.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.