Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We are lucky to have mike leach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Jackie was better than Dan from 1991-2000.
    I love Jackie Wayne, but he didn't have any where near the row to hoe that Mullen did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Jackie was better than Dan from 1991-2000.
    I feel like this is just something people say because they still aren't over Dan leaving/how he left. Jackie had nowhere near the level of consistency that Dan had. Plus I don't know how you have the Jackie Sherrill discussion and just omit 2001-2003. The same over-dependence on JUCO kids that was a huge part of our success in the late 90's helped kill the program in the early 2000's.

As others have said, the strength of the league is the main difference between the two eras. Jackie won the West with a team that finished 8-5 overall, and the '99 team that went 10-2 did so with only one win against a team that finished over .500.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Will wait to anoint him when he?s actually achieved something.
    Bull. Shit. He's a Proven HC. What a crap sandwich of a post all things considered. You prolly said the same shit about Lemonis a month ago.

vCash
    I was never the biggest Leach fan before he got here, but I still hope he can get us back on track.. its hard to compare him to Mullen though, whether you like him or not Mullen brought our program to unseen national relevance, the entire country new about Mississippi State football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    We'll be dang lucky if he wins as much as *******. I'm afraid those were the glory years of MSU football, if he had just stayed one more year, what could have been...
    Danny boy peaked out while he was here. He was never gonna do any better. Hopefully Leach can take us to that next level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    If he stayed another year we'd have gone 10-2 at best and shat the bed in the bowl game ala 2014. Mullen was not a big game coach, he was not good at getting the teams' head right if they had a modicum of success, he was not going to adapt the O and power spread run attack doesn't work vs elite front 7s. Remember, we only took Bama to the wire in '17 because they started 3rd stringers due to injuries. We never, not once, have been able to run it on them.

And for all his "winning", he had a .600 win % here. he averaged less than 7 wins a year, and never had an upset of a team that was still ranked high at the end f the year (ie he only "upset" overrated teams)
    He had 64 regular season wins in 9 seasons. That's over 7 per year

Banned
    vCash
    1. CWS Champions
    2. Final 4 in hoops
    3. 5 weeks at # 1 in football (flip 2 & 3?)
    4. JWS / ATL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Bull. Shit. He's a Proven HC. What a crap sandwich of a post all things considered. You prolly said the same shit about Lemonis a month ago.
    Easy OLJ, CML has to prove it here, now in SEC. Moorhead was a successful coach elsewhere too.

I think he can but just because you were successful in another era, doesn't mean it translates to now. Not sure Bear Bryant wouldn't be dominant today either. Those that adapt win long term. Even Saban adapted, if not Saban would be less a couple NC right now.

Can CML adjust is the question. He has 20 years of saying he won't or can't. This is what I want to see this year. Adjust and you win. Are we lucky, guess we will see.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    We'll know if he's good for us after this season.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    We'll know if he's good for us after this season.
    do you think he's gonna be good for us? odds?

vCash
    IMO, less than 50/50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriarsPoint View Post
    IMO, less than 50/50.
    what makes you say that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    what makes you say that?
    This is a LOS league. As everyone witnessed last year, one dimension in this league leads to ass whippings. The defensive talent here is better than anything Leach has ever faced. Ever.

Without keeping someone off balance, you?re begging to get the shit kicked out of you. And a stubborn belief ?in the system? without a willingness to change slightly or adapt will assure failure.

vCash
    This is a LOS league. As everyone witnessed last year, one dimension in this league leads to ass whippings. The defensive talent here is better than anything Leach has ever faced. Ever.

Without keeping someone off balance, you?re begging to get the shit kicked out of you. And a stubborn belief ?in the system? without a willingness to change slightly or adapt will assure failure.
    I wont disagree. It is irritating to thing of how close we were last year to having won 7 games. Hears to hoping and praying it works out, and he adapts where he needs to.

Banned
    vCash

I refuse to believe he doesn't know this. Like IYOK said, this year will be telling. I'm confident he'll make us happy.

vCash
    Let me see what his offense looks like this season. I'm cautiously optimistic but can admit I'm not a fan of the run/pass ratio in the 1st 9 games. I'd prefer 60/40 pass/run but could live with 65/35. He was 75-80/25-20 1st 9 games. That won't fly consistently.

vCash
    Y'all can't blame Leach for Costello throwing into triple coverage and having the field vision of a three day drunk. There were plenty of times Costello should have handed the ball off. Even Leach said so in some of his weekly pressers. Will started getting the hang of the offense just as the season was winding down. He knew when he should be handing the ball off and passing it. Leach isn't against running the ball. He's not like Croom who crawled up Wes Carrol's ass for pulling the ball and throwing a touchdown. It was supposed to be a run play. Don't change the play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Y'all can't blame Leach for Costello throwing into triple coverage and having the field vision of a three day drunk. There were plenty of times Costello should have handed the ball off. Even Leach said so in some of his weekly pressers. Will started getting the hang of the offense just as the season was winding down. He knew when he should be handing the ball off and passing it. Leach isn't against running the ball. He's not like Croom who crawled up Wes Carrol's ass for pulling the ball and throwing a touchdown. It was supposed to be a run play. Don't change the play.
    Well we should see significant improvement. Leach offense doesn't have to be at it's peak this year. What it does need to be is able to move the ball up & down the field pretty easily against OM, Arky, KY, Vandy, & NC St. It needs to be solid & not shut down against A&M, LSU, & Auburn. If the offense does that pretty much everyone will be satisfied with Year 2. Then the expectations really rise Year 3 for a potent offense at all times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Well we should see significant improvement. Leach offense doesn't have to be at it's peak this year. What it does need to be is able to move the ball up & down the field pretty easily against OM, Arky, KY, Vandy, & NC St. It needs to be solid & not shut down against A&M, LSU, & Auburn. If the offense does that pretty much everyone will be satisfied with Year 2. Then the expectations really rise Year 3 for a potent offense at all times.
    There was light at the end of the tunnel last season. I'm not expecting us to beat the shit out of Bama and make Saban retire. I do think we see better decision making with the ball.

vCash
    We were a really young team on offense last year (especially after Kylin and KJ had their unravelings), and for whatever reason that lack of experience doesn't get talked about much when discussing some of our struggles.

Leading passer - true freshman
    Leading rusher - true freshman
    Leading receiver (catches) - true freshman
    Leading receiver (yards) - true freshman
    Three first year starters on the OL, all of which were freshmen or sophomores

That's not even mentioning it being Year 1 of a big philosophical shift from what our program had been doing for years, and doing all of that with no spring practice and very limited depth.

I personally believe it will be difficult for us to NOT be better this year. We are far better equipped for this season than we were a year ago, at least offensively. There was a time last season about mid-year when Kylin was gone, KJ was a bust, and Walley had not found his groove yet, and things were looking very bleak. It was pretty evident from the Georgia game on that we had some pieces to work with for the future, even in some games we ended up losing.