Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We are lucky to have mike leach

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    We were a really young team on offense last year (especially after Kylin and KJ had their unravelings), and for whatever reason that lack of experience doesn't get talked about much when discussing some of our struggles.

Leading passer - true freshman
    Leading rusher - true freshman
    Leading receiver (catches) - true freshman
    Leading receiver (yards) - true freshman
    Three first year starters on the OL, all of which were freshmen or sophomores

That's not even mentioning it being Year 1 of a big philosophical shift from what our program had been doing for years, and doing all of that with no spring practice and very limited depth.

I personally believe it will be difficult for us to NOT be better this year. We are far better equipped for this season than we were a year ago, at least offensively. There was a time last season about mid-year when Kylin was gone, KJ was a bust, and Walley had not found his groove yet, and things were looking very bleak. It was pretty evident from the Georgia game on that we had some pieces to work with for the future, even in some games we ended up losing.
    good one Captain, thank you sir.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Let me see what his offense looks like this season. I'm cautiously optimistic but can admit I'm not a fan of the run/pass ratio in the 1st 9 games. I'd prefer 60/40 pass/run but could live with 65/35. He was 75-80/25-20 1st 9 games. That won't fly consistently.
    Thank you IYOK. Wouldn't you say towards the end of the season he was "getting it"? Me personally, I'm fired up for Sept.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Thank you IYOK. Wouldn't you say towards the end of the season he was "getting it"? Me personally, I'm fired up for Sept.
    It was definitely better. The bowl game was very clunky on offense. Tulu bailed us out that game on special teams. The Missouri game was very good. Need that type of output every game against mis tier opponents.

vCash
    It was definitely better. The bowl game was very clunky on offense. Tulu bailed us out that game on special teams. The Missouri game was very good. Need that type of output every game against mis tier opponents.
    I think the lack or experience and depth are the reasons for this.

vCash
    JoeMo broke us and pissed away almost every thing Mullen had built.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I think the lack or experience and depth are the reasons for this.
    We hope so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    JoeMo broke us and pissed away almost every thing Mullen had built.
    We like to say that but he still won 14 games, 2 bowls, & 2 egg bowl wins. Let's not act like he sent us back to the Croom era. People just didn't like him but like Leach so he's not getting much flack for last season.

vCash
    We like to say that but he still won 14 games, 2 bowls, & 2 egg bowl wins. Let's not act like he sent us back to the Croom era. People just didn't like him but like Leach so he's not getting much flack for last season.
    No he didn't send us back, but, he severely hurt the locker room dynamic. If the play on the field is soft, the locker room and practices are soft.

vCash
    No he didn't send us back, but, he severely hurt the locker room dynamic. If the play on the field is soft, the locker room and practices are soft.
    That's also not a 2-3yr repair to fix.

vCash
    Yeah, having K State with a first year head coach come to Starkville in MS heat and humidity and stomp our asses like a MAC team was too much for me. K State was in far better playing shape than we were.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    We were a really young team on offense last year (especially after Kylin and KJ had their unravelings), and for whatever reason that lack of experience doesn't get talked about much when discussing some of our struggles.

That's not even mentioning it being Year 1 of a big philosophical shift from what our program had been doing for years, and doing all of that with no spring practice and very limited depth.

I personally believe it will be difficult for us to NOT be better this year. We are far better equipped for this season than we were a year ago, at least offensively. There was a time last season about mid-year when Kylin was gone, KJ was a bust, and Walley had not found his groove yet, and things were looking very bleak. It was pretty evident from the Georgia game on that we had some pieces to work with for the future, even in some games we ended up losing.
    This all day. You could even see some glimpses early in the season, but the timing and familiarity of the decision making just wasn?t there. Repetition was needed and by the end of the year they finally got the reps that they would have gotten in a spring practice period and summer workouts.

I fully expect to see a night and day transition for the first month of the season as opposed to last year. I still have a difficult time wrapping my head around the lsu game. Almost seemed like an outlier for both teams.

vCash
    I'm not sure how much Leach will win or how well he'll recruit, but he does give us more national recognition. I have to thank Cohen for that if nothing else.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Well we should see significant improvement. Leach offense doesn't have to be at it's peak this year. What it does need to be is able to move the ball up & down the field pretty easily against OM, Arky, KY, Vandy, & NC St. It needs to be solid & not shut down against A&M, LSU, & Auburn. If the offense does that pretty much everyone will be satisfied with Year 2. Then the expectations really rise Year 3 for a potent offense at all times.
    Correct
    Romans 5:8

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash

We were so young. And are again this year. But should be a little better. Next year we will be very very dangerous
    Romans 5:8

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    what about all his cussin' Preach? LOL
    I know you are joking but where exactly in the Bible does it say not to cuss? I mean our cuss words didn't even exist in Bible times.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    I know you are joking but where exactly in the Bible does it say not to cuss? I mean our cuss words didn't even exist in Bible times.
    There are a lot of verses that speak of pure speech. but the below is kinda specific to swear words.

James 3:10
    From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

vCash
    There are a lot of verses that speak of pure speech. but the below is kinda specific to swear words.

James 3:10
    From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
    Nice answer

vCash
    Improvements may not translate to many more wins, especially in conference. But if the offense does bump up to 27-28 points per game, State will win more than lose. But you can?t have that average come from 45 against La Tech and 10 against LSU or Auburn.

I still think 7 will probably be the ceiling and 5 the floor and that is an improvement record-wise. But winning only 5 or 6 while averaging 20-21 points a game is not improvement. It would be a reflection of ?scheduling?.

vCash
    I don't particularly care for his politics or his offense. If he wins, I still won't care for it...sorry.

vCash
    I agree...wish he would have stayed there.