Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas, Oklahoma; April fool's?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    How many more wins do you think? Because over the next decade we will go winless against Oklahoma. And I don't see us hanging around 50% against Texas like we have against Auburn.

And once you bring those two in, that allows them into our geographical recruiting area. And given what we would do from a division standpoint, we very well could end up playing Bama and/or Auburn in a year if we went to 9 conference games which is what probably happens.

It would be a disaster.
    Oklahoma loses a game or 2 to a team like us every year, and they'll probably do it more when they're getting beat up in the SEC every week. Texas is a soft program that we probably would have gone 6-4 or 7-3 against this past decade. And both of them run defenses that Leach will torch.

I think our expected win count over the next decade is something like:
    Alabama - 0.5
    Auburn - 4
    Oklahoma - 3
    Texas - 5

vCash
    You all are looking at this wrong. There is a major move right now to create a 16 team power conferences with the NCAA talking about autonomy for conferences. We want to be in on this or we will be left out completely and it won't be good for our athletic program. Winning the NC in baseball this year was HUGE.

Banned
    vCash
    Im thinking maybe on OK but no on TX. Would like OK and NC State. I don't think any ACC hoops power houses are gonna bolt. I like VA too.

vCash
    I'm not pumped about Texas but Oklahoma and Virginia Tech would be cool.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I'm not pumped about Texas but Oklahoma and Virginia Tech would be cool.
    Good option. 17 UT.

vCash
    Only thing with taking Texas is Texas and TAMU will have to battle each other for recruits which will keep TAMU at bay. TAMU is possibly on the path to becoming dominant. On the other hand might make it harder for us to get Texas recruits but I don't think we're getting anyone now from there that we wouldn't get off Texas comes over. Could be wrong especially if Texas thumps us which I don't think will be the case now but could be when they start paying for top players

vCash
    You all are looking at this wrong. There is a major move right now to create a 16 team power conferences with the NCAA talking about autonomy for conferences. We want to be in on this or we will be left out completely and it won't be good for our athletic program. Winning the NC in baseball this year was HUGE.
    ^^^^^ This right here. With the NCAA becoming more irrelevant with each passing week, it's only a matter of time until either the Pac12 or Big10 strike for Texas, Notre Dame or Oklahoma (these are the 3 big fish prime to bolt to another conference). 2nd place in this race will be a big loser. With none of UT, OU or SEC commish "denying", this has to be a pre-emptive move by the SEC and one that will place the Big10 at a decisive disadvantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    ^^^^^ This right here. With the NCAA becoming more irrelevant with each passing week, it's only a matter of time until either the Pac12 or Big10 strike for Texas, Notre Dame or Oklahoma (these are the 3 big fish prime to bolt to another conference). 2nd place in this race will be a big loser. With none of UT, OU or SEC commish "denying", this has to be a pre-emptive move by the SEC and one that will place the Big10 at a decisive disadvantage.
    It'll probably give us one more loss in football a year but the question is how much more money will it bring in for us (and will it even give us one more loss if they replace Alabama in the conference). Also add in how much more money it would bring if we had four divisions and SEC championship had two games (though that would be more wear on the players but it's all about money now anyway, isn't it?) Will it help us get further ahead of schools in other conferences? We have the coaches to recruit nationally now.
    Not sure but just something to think about

vCash
    The SEC isn't going anywhere, and they're not kicking anyone out. We're in no danger regardless.

vCash
    Which would you rather do: Go 10-2 in the Sun Belt, be the 40th best team in the country overall and never play a nationally relevant game, OR be 7-5 overall, the #23rd best team in the nation, with 3-4 games a year that are nationally relevant? Oh yeah, did I mention option 1 also means we make less money, so every other sport would also be worse than under option 2?

I want to be good. I want to be respectable. I want to play real teams and have a chance to claim some fame. Yeah LSu last year was false hope, but because we beat a real program we got real attention. Break the Sun Belt passing record and nobody notices.

OU and Texas joining means we get to upgrade our facilities, upgrade our recruiting, increase our coaching budget, and have a better shot at a Natty in every single sport. "But to win the SEC in baseball now we have to beat Texas too!"... so the F what? We'd have to beat them in Omaha whether they're in the SEC or not, may as well play them in the regular season first too. One more elite team to gain experience on before the games actually matter.

I will not sacrifice actually being good for a slightly better overall W-L record. End of rant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The SEC isn't going anywhere, and they're not kicking anyone out. We're in no danger regardless.
    That?s exactly what the BIG-12 was thinking about 3 days ago. And then it all changed.

vCash
    That?s exactly what the BIG-12 was thinking about 3 days ago. And then it all changed.
    The SEC isn't anywhere close to the Big 12 in this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Which would you rather do: Go 10-2 in the Sun Belt, be the 40th best team in the country overall and never play a nationally relevant game, OR be 7-5 overall, the #23rd best team in the nation, with 3-4 games a year that are nationally relevant? Oh yeah, did I mention option 1 also means we make less money, so every other sport would also be worse than under option 2?

I want to be good. I want to be respectable. I want to play real teams and have a chance to claim some fame. Yeah LSu last year was false hope, but because we beat a real program we got real attention. Break the Sun Belt passing record and nobody notices.

OU and Texas joining means we get to upgrade our facilities, upgrade our recruiting, increase our coaching budget, and have a better shot at a Natty in every single sport. "But to win the SEC in baseball now we have to beat Texas too!"... so the F what? We'd have to beat them in Omaha whether they're in the SEC or not, may as well play them in the regular season first too. One more elite team to gain experience on before the games actually matter.

I will not sacrifice actually being good for a slightly better overall W-L record. End of rant
    This

vCash
    Saw an Arkansas write post how it's really going to affect them with recruiting since they got Texas hard. It could keep us ahead of them.

Also saw big 12 trying to keep them and pay OU and Texas more. Looks like they are sitting pretty either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    You know exactly what I'm talking about - they both think they are Gods gift to college sports. These are the biggest SEC hating schools.
    Agree, but they would be chanting SEC in a few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Oklahoma loses a game or 2 to a team like us every year, and they'll probably do it more when they're getting beat up in the SEC every week. Texas is a soft program that we probably would have gone 6-4 or 7-3 against this past decade. And both of them run defenses that Leach will torch.

I think our expected win count over the next decade is something like:
    Alabama - 0.5
    Auburn - 4
    Oklahoma - 3
    Texas - 5
    Tend to agree but not sure how we get .5 wins against Bama in 10 years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Saw an Arkansas write post how it's really going to affect them with recruiting since they got Texas hard. It could keep us ahead of them.

Also saw big 12 trying to keep them and pay OU and Texas more. Looks like they are sitting pretty either way.
    All depends on what happens with TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor. Potential there for Arkansas to get some recruits that are going there now depending on the fallout of the Big 12. There are only like 2 players on the current roster who legit picked Arkansas over Texas, Hogs weren?t winning many recruiting battles against them or OU even before this.