Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football is over for us and schools like us

vCash

Football is over for us and schools like us

The NIL deals have all but assured that. It will only entrench the blue bloods in the top 5 even deeper.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/07/20/...il-nick-saban/
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I agree although a think a few schools that have always been buried but have some big alumni bases may try to ante up and get into this.

As all the NILs become public and people see what these guys are getting paid and especially what they are getting paid for ($10K exclusive interviews for example) the masses are going to wake up to what a farce it is. Then it's going to be interesting to see what schools do in response. I have no idea how it's going to shake out. Maybe it will be status quo but just different, but there is no way anyone with a straight face can believe it's not a recruiting tool.

So what does that mean for non Top 10 programs. Does the going rate for a upper 3 star double or triple or does it stay about where it is? At a certain point I don't know that boosters want to spend all their cash to chase a 8-4 season.

Between this and the transfer portal craziness I think the majority of the schools are going to seek some way to bring things into a balance. I'm very curious to see how that plays out though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    I agree although a think a few schools that have always been buried but have some big alumni bases may try to ante up and get into this.

As all the NILs become public and people see what these guys are getting paid and especially what they are getting paid for ($10K exclusive interviews for example) the masses are going to wake up to what a farce it is. Then it's going to be interesting to see what schools do in response. I have no idea how it's going to shake out. Maybe it will be status quo but just different, but there is no way anyone with a straight face can believe it's not a recruiting tool.

So what does that mean for non Top 10 programs. Does the going rate for a upper 3 star double or triple or does it stay about where it is? At a certain point I don't know that boosters want to spend all their cash to chase a 8-4 season.

Between this and the transfer portal craziness I think the majority of the schools are going to seek some way to bring things into a balance. I'm very curious to see how that plays out though.
    This along with the transfer portal is going to kill any chance of us really competing for the SEC title. What happens if you develop someone like Dak and Bama offers $1 or 2 Mil to transfer for their senior year? If poor ole MSU is just getting you a $100k, most people are taking the extra $$$.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    This along with the transfer portal is going to kill any chance of us really competing for the SEC title. What happens if you develop someone like Dak and Bama offers $1 or 2 Mil to transfer for their senior year? If poor ole MSU is just getting you a $100k, most people are taking the extra $$$.
    It’s going to be just as bad in basketball as well. It will take longer for it to get to baseball- but that sport is where we are the Blue Blood and can do it to other schools moving forward.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Agree coach. We could have the advantage in baseball. Not so in the others

vCash
    At first thought you would think so. But it also could be a big problem down the line for those blue bloods. The worst thing that can happen to someone (especially young kids) is to get some money and get comfortable. If you take away that motivation or desire to succeed at the next level then they'll become complacent. Meanwhile the guys that didn't get as much and are still out to prove themselves will continue to work. Also, handing over a bunch of money to people who aren't mature enough to handle it can cause all sorts of ego and attitude problems. Maybe potential locker room issues.

So I can see both sides of it coming into play.

However, I lean to it hurting us more than helping. But my interest in cfball has dwindled mightily past few years so might as well put the nail in the coffin. Eventually people will tire of seeing the same 4-5 teams at the top and ratings will decline
    Last edited by msugolf; 07-20-2021 at 01:15 PM.

vCash
    It's going to force schools to go all in in one sport. Not many, if any, schools can afford to pay what it's going to take to get and keep elite athletes in multiple sports. They'll hang their hat on one or two sports and the rest will be hung out to dry.

vCash
    Podcast I listened to yesterday said within a couple of years high school kids will be getting their own NIL type deals.

That is officially Pandora's Box.

vCash
    Competing, shit where have you been. We get a 3* bama gets a 5*, If we had a 4* committed they will leave at the next better offer. State has to learn their place and only go after 3*'s. Committed doesn't mean jack shit anymore. State has been in the SEC to provide wins for the big boys, and for that state gets a check. No more No less. Sorry about the rant but I am pissed at the democrats and all they get away with, kind of like the scummy rebel bears. *************

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Competing, shit where have you been. We get a 3* bama gets a 5*, If we had a 4* committed they will leave at the next better offer. State has to learn their place and only go after 3*'s. Committed doesn't mean jack shit anymore. State has been in the SEC to provide wins for the big boys, and for that state gets a check. No more No less. Sorry about the rant but I am pissed at the democrats and all they get away with, kind of like the scummy rebel bears. *************

Yep, kinda like David & Goliath, only David?s slingshot was taken away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    The worst thing that can happen to someone (especially young kids) is to get some money and get comfortable. If you take away that motivation or desire to succeed at the next level then they'll become complacent.
    There's no doubt this will hurt the quality of college footb...uh all college sports. Kids getting paid 6 figures to play for a temporary team until they start their real career? Yeah, why try that hard? Why play every game? You've already got paid. Opt outs will become even more common. Is the value of your NIL due to your sports prowess? Or your twitter following or youtube subscribers? What will increase your following? Playing sports? Or maybe being funny. Maybe it's being controversial. Maybe it's based on your looks.

The actual playing of the sport has been relegated to about 4 or 5 on the priority list. Maybe lower.

vCash
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ick-saban-says

1-2 mil? Think again

vCash
    And they are just getting started.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Nearly 1 million for a kid who has never played a single down of college football. What would the going rate for a 4th year senior in the transfer portal? 2 million? 3 million?

Who will be the first college player to make more than Saban?

vCash
    They'll get who ever they want no matter the price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The NIL deals have all but assured that. It will only entrench the blue bloods in the top 5 even deeper.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/07/20/...il-nick-saban/
    Yep... those clamoring for it, thinking it would help us we're just naive or ignorant. Not sure which.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Nearly 1 million for a kid who has never played a single down of college football. What would the going rate for a 4th year senior in the transfer portal? 2 million? 3 million?

Who will be the first college player to make more than Saban?
    Not sure but UCF is about to become very competitive. Mark it down.

vCash
    Will this allow us to not use tax payer dollars to fund their scholarships? Or are they just going to get to double dip?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It?s going to be just as bad in basketball as well. It will take longer for it to get to baseball- but that sport is where we are the Blue Blood and can do it to other schools moving forward.
    I'm not sure how true that is over time. In the short term, we are a blue blood in baseball. But it really only takes one committed wealthy donor to move the needle. How many schools in Texas have a few wealthy donors that might decide they want their alma mater to be a powerhouse in baseball. As you saw with us and women's basketball, if you are successful in a sport, your fan base will usually start to care. I don't see us falling off the map in baseball or anything, but we could see a lot of schools pass us by just because they have a larger alumni base and have a few wealthy donors interested enough to get them moving in the right direction.

vCash
    Mississippi better do away with their State taxes to help